Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ash6181

Help with my layout, please

ash6181
13 years ago

Hi everyone. I'd appreciate any help you can give me with my suggested layout. I've tried to provide the information requested for a floorplan review; if I've missed something please let me know. One specific question/area of concern that I have is the location of refrigerator and double ovens- should they be switched, should the refrigerator be to the right of the sink- I'm just not sure about the location.

A few notes: all aisles are 48', the aisle behind the island seating to the doorway is 6'. I tried to include a little of the plan around the kitchen so you could get a feel for the flow.

Thanks in advance for your help. I've lurked for a long time, and I'm glad we're finally ready (I think) to start building!

What are your goals?

More counter space, better/more practical and organized storage space, seating in the kitchen for people to sit and chat while I cook. Ability to host family gatherings and entertain.

What is your family composition?

Right now, it's just me, my husband, and our two dogs. Children is an undecided issue.

How many kitchen workers are there?

I'm generally the only cook. My husband helps with cleanup. If we host holiday gatherings or parties, usually our family/friends want to pitch in and help with prep/cleanup.

Do you or anyone in your home cook?

I cook regularly. I typically cook dinner every night Monday through Friday. Saturdays I look to cook a larger breakfast/brunch. I like to bake, esp. on the weekends.

How do you see your kitchen used?

Right now, a place to cook and clean up, and a place for my husband and I to catch up on each other's day while I make dinner. I will probably do meal planning in the kitchen at the island, clip coupons, pay bills with my laptop, update the household calendar, etc. I'll probably drink my coffee, eat my breakfast, and read the news on my laptop in the morning in the kitchen. If children come into the picture, I could see them maybe doing homework at the island while I cook. I could also see people gathering in the kitchen when we host parties- in our family the women usually end up congregating in the kitchen.

Do you entertain a lot? If so, formal? Informal?

Right now, we don't entertain, but only because of our current living situation. We would love to be able to entertain regularly. Our entertaining would typically be informal.

Do you want your kitchen to be a 'hang out' place? Parties only? Everyday?

I can see me hanging out in the kitchen. I'll definitely be there everyday. I would like to have people keeping me company in the kitchen during parties.

Do you have a separate DR?

We will have a separate dining room. I like the idea of eating dinner in the dining room every night. I definitely want a separate dining room for holiday family gatherings.

Would you like to open up the kitchen to adjacent areas? Close it up?

I like something between a totally open floor plan and closed off areas. I don't like the great room concept where one large room is the dining room, living room, and kitchen. However, I do want the kitchen to connect with the living area so that I can feel connected to what's going on in there. I like defined and separate areas, but a good flow and connection between the most used rooms.

Where are you flexible?

Basically everything is flexible because this is new construction and the plans are not final. I'll consider anything.

\{{gwi:1575472}}

Comments (15)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you want to retain the kind of ceremonial symmetry that you have now (I am a fan of symmetry), the thing that I notice is that the island is a bit in the way and creates a racetrack traffic pattern.

I would consider switching the refrigerator with the microwave cabinet and putting a narrow pullout on the wall side the the refrigerator for door opening. You would need to adjust the window location to center the window in the space between talls because it will be wider on the right. This is a trade-off of sorts because the fridge is so far from the sink. If you put it where the double ovens are and adjust accordingly, you have walk through the kitchen to get to it from the family room.

I would consider a prep sink on the island.

I would make the family room opening wider.

This maintains the essential "look" of what you started with. I am sure that you will get completely new plans that will be more functional but may not maintain this near-complete symmetry on every elevation. (Thats neither good nor bad, just different.)

• ash6181
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks palimpsest for the feedback. You've addressed some of the issues I've thought about. I do like symmetry, but I'm willing to give that up for function if needed.

• ash6181
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a slightly revised layout incorporating some of palimpsest's suggestions. I swapped the refrigerator with the microwave cabinet and added a pullout next to the refrigerator. Recentered the windows, and moved the door to the dining room to accomodate microwave cabinet. I also increased the opening to the family room from 8' to 10'. I could increase up to 12', or perhaps even larger.

I am willing to eliminate one of the doorways on the cooktop wall if it could dramatically improve things.

Looking at this layout, I'm thinking of switching the double ovens with the microwave cabinet. The microwave cabinet will also house the coffee pot, and that would make it more convienent to the water source.
    {{gwi:1575473}}

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Could you post the rest of the plan for orientation? I don't know which door could be eliminated without eliminating the powder room.

The entry to the MBR through the kitchen is an interesting concept because it seems to take a split plan to its most private, but on the other hand, its one more potential traffic pattern through the room and may not be such a positive things if kids are in your future, which is an unknown. I tend to associate this level of separation with empty nester type plans.

• ash6181
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Palimpsest, I'll work on posting the entire plan. Eliminating either of the doorways on the cooktop wall would require moving the powder room, but is an option we've explored before and is doable. There are no other bedrooms on the main floor (there is an office/living room that could be converted into a bedroom). If we do have children, we'll likely either convert the office into a nursery, or move upstairs until the kids are old enough to stay on their own. The house is being built in a community that would normally appeal to retiree's/empty nesters, and if we need to resale we'd like it to appeal to that segment.

• salal_08
    13 years ago

How about rotating the island, making it deeper, and putting the cooktop on it? THis way you won't be facing the wall while cooking and those seated at the island will be facing the window instead of the wall. I have my cooktop in an island and really love it. You could then put the fridge and the ovens along the former cooktop wall. This would give you the island for landing space for the ovens which is good. This would give you an extended length of countertop on either side of the sink. I'd recommend a below counter fridge with snack stuff to satisfy those in the family room and keep them from traipsing through the kitchen. Island may need to be shorter to keep the isle 48" but, if it is deeper you can put a seat on either side.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Do you have a layout with the actual measurements? I understand you're very flexible, but we need do know what parameters we have to work with...in particular where you must have doors, what are the maximum & minimum dimensions of the space, etc.

Palimpsest is right...I, for one, find the layout rather choppy and see a lot of walking and zone-crossing...both of which, to me, reduce functionality of a space.

In the latest, for example, the island is a barrier island b/w the cooktop and refrigerator. In addition, trying to get to the refrigerator means crossing the entire length of the Cleanup Zone, including having to potentially maneuver around an open DW and someone working at the sink.

Putting a prep sink in the island and moving the refrigerator to either the other end of the current run or back to the other side would be better, functionally.

Do you plan to use the garage entrance for the family entrance and for bringing in groceries? If so, you should probably have the refrigerator on the other side. Besides, having a cooking appliance (MW or Wall Oven) in a busy path (Mudroom/Garage entry) is something to be avoided. It would be nice to also have a bit of protection or at least a wider aisle there so using the refrigerator in that busy aisle isn't another issue.

What are the dimensions of the walk-in pantry?

• blfenton
    13 years ago

My excuse will be that I have new glasses on - but where is the DW?

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I think the refrigerator move is a mistake. As the cook, I want the fridge handy to me and in a place others can access it without getting in my way. You had both in the original location. The only change I'd want to make is to have the microwave beside the fridge, because a lot of what goes in the mw comes out of the fridge/freezer, or secondarily, the pantry.

But in that original plan, you definitely need a prep sink in the island so that your work area is much more efficient. Food comes from fridge, to prep sink and prep on the island, then to stove.

I would want dish storage where you show the fridge in the last plan, and maybe move the windows and sink toward the right to give you more room by the ovens...Do you want to keep your mixer out on the counter and perhaps have some baking supplies nearby?

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I would put the DW on the right along with the dish storage RHome410 mentioned. It keeps the DW out of the way of prepping, cooking, and baking and puts it very near the dish storage.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I agree if you put a prep sink on the island you could move the fridge back--it makes more sense there. I would consider switching the microwave and the double ovens though, because the double ovens are in the doorway and I think it would make sense to have the microwave closer to the range. The ovens, since things stay in them longer (unless you cook certain types of recipes) could be the more remote of the pair.

• ash6181
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really appreciate everyone's input so far. Its what I really was hoping for-honest advice. Sometimes after you stare at something and work on it so long, you become blind to its faults!

salal 08, my concern with rotating the island is the view into the kitchen from the family room is that the island perpendicular to the family room opening, which, to me, is less visually pleasing; although, the seating facing the windows would be a plus. I really don't think I want the cooktop in the island. Also, I don't think I'd like the view from the family room into the kitchen to include the fridge and ovens on what is now the cooktop wall. The idea of a beverage refrigerator/snack area is something I'll consider. I'd like ideas on where to incorporate it.

Buehl: I'll work on a plan with the measurements. For now, the overall dimensions of the kitchen are 16 feet wide (from left to right on this diagram) and 20 feet long (top to bottom). All doorways are 3 ft. wide except opening to family room. All aisles are 4 ft. Walkway behind the island seating is 6 ft. I really am very flexible. Almost anything can be changed because we're still in the preliminary stage, and I want to get the kitchen right. Either or both doors on the cooktop wall can be eliminated. There would have to be some redrawing to include a hallway between the kitchen and the dining area, in that case. Which end of the island would be best for a prep sink? The garage entrance will be the family entrance and groceries will come through there. The pantry is 7x13. Sorry, I thought I had noted that dimension.

Blfenton: it's not your glasses, I forgot to add the dishwasher when I redrew the plan for posting! Just like me to forget the most important part.

Rhome410: I like your idea about the microwave next to the refrigerator. That's originally how I had drawn it up (before I posted here). Where would you suggest putting the prep sink? I like the idea about dish storage. I'm flexible about keeping the mixer on the counter. I do keep it on the counter now, perhaps more as a default option than anything else (no where else to put it). As far as baking supplies, I would like to store baking pans and baking tools (rolling pie, pastry brush, cooling racks, etc.) in the vicinity of the oven. I plan on storing all ingredients in the oven.

Buehl: like the idea of the diswasher on the right of the sink. I had it on the left, but agree it makes more sense on the right.

Palimpset: I like the idea of the ovens moving to the opposite wall- I think that puts them less in the traffic flow.

• ash6181
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ugh, I lost my last post. Anyway, here's some more info, some questions, and a revised layout.

First, we're building on a lot with a lake view. The view from the kitchen to the family room will be a wall of windows that overlook the lake. The view to the back of the house (windows over the sink) will be the backyard area, which has a small pond.

Either or both doorways on the cooktop wall can be eliminated. Which one, or both, would be most helpful to eliminate? Eliminating either or both requires adding or lengthening a hallway, which is fine if it improves the kitchen's function. If both are eliminated, the doorway that is now labeled as opening into the dining room will instead open into a hallway.

The refrigerator can be recessed to be counter depth so it doesn't project into the aisle.

There was originally a breakfast room at the top of the kitchen, and the doorway/hall to the master opened off the breakfast room. I eliminated the breakfast room so I would have windows in the kitchen, and because it seemed like unnecessary space (already had seating at the island. However, the idea of the breakfast room is not something I'm opposed to- I could line the walls with windows, it would have views to the lake and over the backyard, it'd be great for extra seating at family gatherings, a good place for my husband and I to eat meals when we're alone, etc. Would adding the breakfast room back substantially improve my options?

A new layout incorporating suggestions so far

An idea of where the breakfast room goes (I didn't take time to address the layout-cabinet placement, etc. And no, there doesn't have to be a wall between the kitchen and breakfast room)
    {{gwi:1575475}}

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I would keep the ovens where you have them, so they're separated from the stove work area, but you can still easily keep an eye on them from the stove and they're close to the island for rolling out dough, loading pans, etc. Also nearby if you ever start anything on the stove and finish it or keep it warm in the oven. The fact that they open across a doorway is a little ill-advised, but only if it's a high-traffic doorway...so you have to think about that for your own family and how it might be a problem or not.

I would put the prep sink on the corner of the island between the stove and fridge/micro area. That way you can use it from the side or the end (multi-purpose and available to multiple workers), and it leaves the largest expanse of island in front of the stove for prep space.

• ash6181
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks rhome. I assume when you say leave the ovens you mean leave them in the original location, next to the door to the hallway to the master? I understand the issues with placement next to a doorway, but that hallway should not be a high traffic area. The only place it goes is to the master bedroom. I think I have the prep sink placed where you recommended in the most recent diagram.

Anyone else have any ideas?