Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athena53_gw

thedirectcabinetsource.com ALERT (buycabinets.com)

athena53
15 years ago

This is to inform all hard-working and ethical potential cabinet buyers out there to beware! BuyCabinets.com is currently declaring bankruptcy which I have personally confirmed with their bankruptcy attorney in Flagstaff, AZ. This would be a sympathetic situation if not for the actions taken by the President, founder and CEO of BuyCabinets, Trevor Grace. He received orders and payments in full from customers then,never sent the orders or the money to the various cabinet manufacturers; shut down his operation with no notice to current customers, refused email attempts and would not answer his 800 number; and needless to say, has not refunded any monies received (to the extent of my research). My contractor and I have notified the State Attorney General's Office in AZ and have filed a criminal complaint with the Sheriff's Dept. in Flagstaff. There is a detective assigned to the case who currently has an open and active investigation. Additonally, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, Trevor is currently the Senior Executive at Direct Cabinet Source, LLC, www.thedirectcabinetsource.com. The Managing Partner is Phil Smith, a former sales rep for Buycabinets. Keith Ingle, the prior sales supervisor of Buycabinets is working there, too! And, yes, they are still out of Flagstaff and even work out of the same building as Buycabinets! You can verify this information by going to several web sites: www.xomreviews.com/buycabinets.com and www.linkedin.com. Lastly, when dealing with Norcraft to confirm they had never received the order for my cabinets, I made a personal decision NEVER to buy Norcraft cabinets and indeed did not when ordering my second set of cabinets. Norcraft was not willing to work with us directly even though my contractor is a licensed business...as a one time exception. I assume they just don't need the business. But more reprehensible was the fact that after they were notified what Buycabinets,(with whom they had a distribution/dealer agreement), did to their customers, they established another with the same crew, (who are now calling themselves Direct Cabinet Source)! That tells me everything I need to know about that company. Unbelievable. I would like as many people as possible to do their own research and spread the word. In today's environment, particularly, this is UNACCEPTABLE!

Comments (150)

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

chefnewbie-we have contact kraftmaid, they won't sell to us direct. so far the local dealers are only offering the same price as what we've already paid. we sure we hoping someone would pull through for us because we can't afford to pay the same amount again. the one dealer that was offering to help us near cost won't take credit cards and we can't take that chance (again) while we are staying paying off the other loan. also found out kraftmaid will only dropship within a 40 mile radius of the dealer. there's another out of state dealer that offered to help but we'd have to pay another $2k just in shipping. guess its time to start playing the lottery.

• User
    15 years ago

Maybe the poster should post the threat, ain't nothing illegal about that.

• tootiepugsmom
    15 years ago

bump

• User
    15 years ago

bump

• ponderosapine
    15 years ago

I'm posting on behalf of Whistleblower:

Here is the threat that was received 1/28/09 which came from a Yahoo email account that had the word "death" in the account name:

"You had better remove the names that you put in the blogs, that you THINK may be affiliated with directcabinetsource.com.

You have no idea what you're talking about and it's about to get you into HUGE legal trouble. It already has.

I have contacted my lawyer and they have started a case against you. Unless you remove the names you have entered on the blog sites, I will continue this action and MORE.

Please don't think this is a joke, it's not.

Remove the names and write a correction now."

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

We must be getting under someone's skin? I guess the lawyers are the one's getting our money.

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

(i hear crickets)

• ponderosapine
    15 years ago

A reply from Whistleblower re threat:

Dear Mr. or Ms. "Death" (****DEATH@yahoo.com):

This is not a game... there are many victims here!

You, Boxermomma, and disappointed_2009 are certainly entitled to your opinions. But, you are getting very personal when you resort to slander and threats. I understand your frustration in attempting to defend what many of us consider to be a defenseless situation, however, please do not use slander and threats when posting your comments or opinions.

Please advise which people, named as having associations with TheDirectCabinetSource.com, are not in any way associated with this company. When you post or email these names, I will corroborate your claims. If the people you name have no association, I will be sure to correct the record.

Please know that your threat is being taken seriously, and your identity will be discovered by law enforcement. Please be advised, I have reported your threat to the FBI.

Please do not misconstrue my intent or underestimate my determination. I will continue to assist the victims and cooperate with law enforcement. Please have no doubt I will not be intimidated by nor will I tolerate your threats.

Whistleblower

• paydave
    15 years ago

Well spoken Whistleblower

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

I don't know where this is all going, I think some people are trying to throw us off our path or something. We too have spoken to previous buycabinets employees. They have admitted that the lies they told us were what Trevor Grace told them to tell us. I think everyone needs to stop getting butt hurt over people's opinions, thoughts, comments, its all very petty. Truth be told, some of us have a large financial burden because of buycabinets actions. When a new company brings over those same employees, people are going to connect the dots.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I just want to say how sorry I am for those who lost their money and had what should have been a joyful exciting family adventure turned into a disgraceful roadblock. I know how devastated I would be emotionally and financially if I lost thousands of dollars. Really... I'm so very sorry that this happened to you. Buycabinets had been on my list of places to check out. Our budget is relatively small compared to others on this forum. We are now seriously considering building our own cabinets.

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

on another note, looks like we are going to be submitting our cabinet order (again) to hopefully get a kitchen. thanks to buycabinets.com we will be taking out a yet a second loan, just what we wanted to do in a sinking economy. at least while we are making payments we might have a kitchen to enjoy instead of our empty room. from what i hear we can just file bankruptcy and wipe all the debt anyways.

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

remodelfla-thanks for your post. i think someone people don't realize what the day to day is like for people like us who lost a lot of money. its going to take us over a year to pay off this big loan that we have nothing to show for. Whether buycabinets used it for a vacation, to pay previous debt, whatever... point is now we are paying for it every month. its like we are writing a thousand dollar check a month directly to them.

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

http://boardreader.com/sp/That_Home_Site_Forums_GardenWe_76773.html

according to this post (if you scroll down) our thread is one of the 'hot topics of the week'

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

Ponderosapine, cabinetconsultant, Whistleblower et. al.

It is highly commendable of you to step forward to speak up to give information to the unwitting victims in the face of nut-jobs like these buycabs/thedirectcabinetsource people. Be careful, however, in real life as these people sound like the sort who would have dirty underhand associations to do some pretty dirty deeds for them.

I did just want to pipe up and state the obvious to you however, that the chances of you being in any legal trouble are slim to none. Not only for all the excellent reasons you and athena513 laid out, but their email missive to you all but confirms it. Had they indeed any legal standing here against you - or even a sensible attorney defending them against you - that attorney would have advised them in no uncertain terms to desist from ANY contact with you - let alone to behave as such buffoons as to send "death threats" or otherwise sinister emails which will only now be problemmatic for them.

This is beyond bizarre. Look, companies go out of business all the time. Many times they have scurrilous management which rips off customers in the process of going under. Yes, they may "pay" in the end, but it is a bit in the all-in-a-days-work sort of circumstance. But I've *never* heard of someone going under going through so many torturous and Machiavellian steps in the course of folding ... not just opening a new company as the old one was crashing (Enron's numerous money-laundering front companies, anyone?), but keeping up indications of a heart-beat on the old supposedly-dead company (stupidity in the extreme) ... to showing the association between the old-dead and new company (that same heartbeat) ... to actively trying to muzzle old employees to issuing these sinister threats. It's like a movie from the old Boston or Chicago mob days ... . For an internet company, these people don't seem to know much about the ways of the internet.

Watch yourselves ponderosapine and Whistleblower - these people seem to be madmen.

To the BC victims, I wish you all the very very best in getting restitution from these mad buffoons. I feel for you. Honestly, I do. I realize that some of you have given up hope of getting a reimbursement from BC and are hoping just to get them their just desserts, but I hope very very much for you that you get your money back. Surely the blighters must have some assets somewhere that you can be reclaimed with. ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

• pebbleslew
    15 years ago

It amazes me that the BC cheerleaders are so shocked that we the people are so upset with them. We are contractors who build from the ground up, I design the kitchens and my husband installs, this up until now has been a great deal to go along with construction. Now with the fact it was not our $16,000 that was lost it was the home owners. Now we have to come up with the money to replace these cabinets out of our pockets. I know we are all in the same boat, we don't have the monwy in our back pockets, so now on a search for the money. These poor people are living in a 5th wheel and would really like to move into their house, fornately they do not blame us personally for this but still does not make it any easier. So BC crew step back from your new desks and think about this. We are all without one of the largest purchases you make in a new or remodeled house. And don't have the money to replace them, gee, why is everyone so unhappy??? Take your medicine and just read and think don't talk you only dig deeper.

My email is now unlocked if you are trying to get a hold of me, paydave you're a great friend, glad you're on our side.

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

All of you who have lost money - please make sure you file a claim and are listed as creditors on the BC bankruptcy docs. At least you may be able to claim it as a loss on your tax returns? Don't know if this is really the case, but an attorney can better advise you. For sure there must be a way to build a fraud case against BC. It seems pretty obvious that they continued to accept orders they know they could not fill.

• User
    15 years ago

I will continue to bump this thread to the front page so other people know not to buy from the new company.

• kompy
    15 years ago

Pebbles and Empty,
    Have you found someone to help you with your cabinets yet? Maybe under the circumstances, you could work something out with KM. For instance, find a dealer to sell at cost....and then see if KM will do a home delivery (even if it is outside of that dealer's territory).

It's just a shame what you're both going through. Empty, you put it all in to perspective....you're giving away $1,000.00 per month. Makes my stomach queasy and it's not even my money. My business did lose $15K in 2007 to a builder that went under....so I know what it feels like. Luckily, my business was having a stellar year and we were able to absorb it. Personally, that would've been a much bigger hit. Builder was a good guy, just really fell on bad times....wife became ill.

• paydave
    15 years ago

Bump to the top, and thanks for the kind words pebbleslew.

• tootiepugsmom
    15 years ago

Bump

• User
    15 years ago

bump

• ponderosapine
    15 years ago

Bump.

• november
    15 years ago

bump. I've followed this thread with a sick feeling - I'm so sorry for everyone who's lost money on this. When we did our renovation, our appliance store went out of business after we'd ordered over $7k, but we were okay because it was on our credit card. Make sure you file a claim with the bankruptcy court - they will mail the documents to you if the company had a record of your order. Good luck...

• User
    15 years ago

bump

• paydave
    15 years ago

bump again

• kompy
    15 years ago

Never mind.

• paydave
    15 years ago

bump again, keeping people from throwing their money away is worth a bump

• tootiepugsmom
    15 years ago

I'll bump to that!! :)

• ponderosapine
    15 years ago

Bumpety-bump. No bankruptcy filed yet, according to my sources, but supposedly imminent.

• tootiepugsmom
    15 years ago

Buuuuump!

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

has anyone heard anything new?

• pebbleslew
    15 years ago

Only thing I heard was in order for Trevor to file bankruptcy he has to prove that all the money was spent legitimately and not for personal use. He has to account for every penny, not dollar, but penny. So I don't know how he's going to account for all his vacations. Don't think the courts are going to be anymore understanding then we are. SO this may be why we haven't heard from the courts. If he can't account for his spending, then charges for fraud will be pressed. So we will see what happens, if you have not contacted Det. D. Holland and have info please do so, the more info he has the better, he is still accumulating info for fraud.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I can't sleep so I might as well bump!

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

Fingers crossed that he does down for fraud.
    BUMP!!!!!!

• mjsee
    15 years ago

Bump

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

bump

• paydave
    15 years ago

bump

• User
    15 years ago

bump

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

i was thinking of posting on craig's list that whoever can get my money back can keep 50% of it

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

In researching additional cabinet companies that supply Kraftmaid, we made an interesting discovery. Under the BBB, if you look up Kitchen Master, Inc of Laguna Hills, CA...at the bottom of their screen you can click on 'DBA' (doing business as) and to our surprise it says BUYCABINETS.COM Doesn't this mean they are legally linked? As far as I can tell Kitchen Master is an up and running business. How do we go about finding out if they hold any legal responsibility for our money/cabinets? Is this something the detectives need to know about? Can someone look into this further??? Link below:
    http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=22691

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

If you go to the BBB and type in 'buycabinets.com' in the search field, this company now comes up!

• mtnwomanbc
    15 years ago

At one time I heard that BuyCabinets.com moved to Arizona because so many kitchen reno's were being booked from CA that it made sense to move out of state so as to avoid sales tax (i.e., improve their margins by ~8%). I think a sales rep told me this a couple of years ago when i was first investigating a kitchen, which is yet to happen, LOL. He didn't refer to "margins" -- that was my take on it, though.

• fraud_tracker
    15 years ago

I have been monitoring the activities of Buycabinets.com and TheDirectCabinetSource.com, and will assist the victims and ex-employees in their quest for justice. Also, I will be posting updates from the "Whistleblower".

My first comment is that in addition to "Consumer Fraud", there may be sufficient evidence for law enforcement to pursue "Racketeering" charges.

• fraud_tracker
    15 years ago

Update from the "Whistleblower":
    On February 6, 2009, the law office of Pernell W. McGuire reported that they filed the petition for the chapter 7 bankruptcy, for their client Buycabinets.com/Trevor Grace, on February 5, 2009. They also confirmed that Mr. Grace would be filing for a personal bankruptcy as well. However, they had no idea as to the timeline for the filing of the personal bankruptcy. If you do not receive your official notice from the court, please contact the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Arizona, at 800-556-9230.

The court-appointed trustee will determine which assets can be liquidated to satisfy the debts to the creditors. Since Arizona is a "community property" state, the trustee may be able to access the assets of Ms. Grace, who is a Vice President at a local Chase bank in Flagstaff. Aside from the assets of Buycabinets.com, Mr. Grace and Ms. Grace, the trustee should also be able to acquire the assets that may have been fraudulently transferred to TheDirectCabinetSource.com.

Timelines are very important in determining the intent to commit consumer fraud. When preparing the documentation to support your Proof of Claim, please ensure that you include the dates of all communications with Buycabinets.com and/or TheDirectCabinetSource.com. You may also want to include a complaint to the court objecting to the chapter 7 discharge, and request that it be revoked on the basis that the debtor may have committed fraud.

The Proof of Claim, which I will be submitting, will include the Whistleblower report that was filed with the Arizona and Nevada Attorney Generals office, the Federal Trade Commission and the local Flagstaff SheriffÂs office. This Whistleblower report contains over 30 possible witnesses and/or persons of interest, who law enforcement can question to establish the intent to commit consumer fraud, and to determine if assets were, in fact, fraudulently used or transferred to TheDirectCabinetSource.com. My Proof of Claim will include a list of at least 9 ex-employees and business associates who can corroborate that Mr. Grace used Company/Consumers money for personal expenses. I will also include my objection to the discharge and request that it be revoked.

Whistleblower

• pebbleslew
    15 years ago

Everyone who has access to Craig's list check it, our friend Keith Ingle is using Craig's list as a way to get out there, he even has people who are promoting them. Just a little trivial info.

• nagelhoupt
    15 years ago

Good evening all - I have been following this thread, as well as the two or three similar threads, regarding the unfortunate circumstances with BuyCabinets.com. I am a long time Kitchen Forum lurker and occasional poster. Bankruptcy records are public records, and while I am not certain they are available online for all states, records pertaining to bankruptcies filed in Arizona are available online through a subscription with PACER - Public Access to Court Electronic Records. Registration is required and I believe (but again, not certain) they now issue you a password pretty quickly. (When I signed up several years ago, I had to wait for my password to be sent via US mail.) There is a charge of 8 cents per each page that you access and they send you an invoice. The invoice frequency I think depends on your volume, but as an infrequent user, I get an invoice about once a quarter and pay online. As the poster above advised, BuyCabinets.com filed on February 5, and those documents are available online. The document that lists the creditors and amounts owed is 115 pages long (but I was billed for only 30 pages for this document). Under Schedule F - Creditors Holding Unsecured Nonpriority Claims - many of the creditors appear to be trade related, but there are many names that appear to be private individuals from all over the US, perhaps customers like some in this current thread. I hope no one takes offense that I am posting this link, but it is a public record and perhaps those who were adversely affected by BuyCabinets problems will know sooner, rather than wonder, if they are included in the list of debts to be discharged in this Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
    Here is the link https://pacer.login.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/login.pl?court_id=00idx

• pebbleslew
    15 years ago

Hi all, just a note more to vent then anything. Just viewed the bankruptcy case for our friend Trevor and BC, I am sick to my stomach. There are over 400 names on the list of who he owes. I think he needs to be put in a very lonely cell and do some very heavy soul searching. If anyone has anything that will help with this case please call Det. Holland asap there are numerous people who are filing to revoke the bankruptcy, this needs to be stopped and he needs to be held accountable for his actions, most of the people named in this case are inviduals or small contractors or private parties. I see no large developers listed, so he took care of the big boys and screwed all the little guys, he should be in politics. So the date for the case to be viewed is March 23 at 1:30 Az. time. We need to get all our ducks in a row and list all info we have on them, they want corespndence and emails and bank records, and anything else you have. Please get it all together if we don't stand together things like this will keep happening, all listed should be receiving a letter from the courts if you don't in the next week to 10 days check back with all to see, I will let all know when we get ours, we will be in Flagstaff on the 23rd and see what can be done, if yo can make it please be there I know in these tough times its hard we're lucky we are within driving distance. Well I'm done venting thanks for the space, good luck and take care all, this is not an easy thing to swallow.

• User
    15 years ago

bump