Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
10kdiamond

Do your Pendants have Diffusers? Trying to Decide....

10KDiamond
13 years ago

I covet Hudson Valley & RH Pendants (in a brushed nickel or chome -y finish) but can't stomach the price. I found the lights at the link below on sale (!) but there isn't a diffuser. Will I regret?

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?upc_ID=10987284&ID=397258&Quantity=3&EXTRA_PARAMETER=BAG&PseudoCat=ba-xx-xx-xx.index

TIA

Comments (12)

• johnnyl53
    13 years ago

I believe this light does have a diffuser. This light is from the Murray Feiss Parker Place collection. I checked some other sites in addition to the Murray Feiss site and the description is:
    "this group, enclosed with pearl glass at the bottom of the domes"
    I actually like this light from the same collection better as it gives you more ambient light. This would be irrelevant to you if you only want the down light.

The lights from this collection are on sale at a lot of locations on the net so don't think that Macy's is your only source.

• 10KDiamond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Johnny153, Thanks for the insight. Couldn't tell. Macys normally wouldn't be the place where I would look to buy lighting, but with discount coupons, these lights are less than $140 each, which is far cheaper than anywhere else I have seen.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

In the spring, summer and fall, it seems like I have plenty of little flying things. I love to have my windows open and these insects cause a problem. When I was shopping for light fixtures, I purposely looked for an open bottom so that I could wipe up the insects off the counter, floor, table in the morning rather than look up and see bugs inside the fixture. Getting out the ladder and getting to the bugs is much harder. Bugs are drawn to lights at night when the lights are on.

Not a pleasant thing to think about but it is a fact of life. Can you tell I've had bug catcher lights in the past? ;^)

• blubird
    13 years ago

I have the Murray Feiss Parker Place pendant in ORB that johnny153 posted. It does not have a diffuser, but everyone who sees the pendants love them.

Helene

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Is a "diffuser" a covering over the bulb area? If so, I think I agree with WizardNM. I know we have to frequently clean out the lights in our bathrooms and halls b/c they're flush-mounted to the ceiling with a glass dome that covers the bulb. It's gotten worse w/the stink bugs this year...they seem to come out when the weather gets the least bit warm and are getting into the house and inside the lights (I think they're in the attic space, but I'm afraid to look!)

• jgopp
    13 years ago

I have the restoration hardware 'benson' pendant and it has a diffuser. What size are you looking for? And how many? I have 3 of the 7 inch ones which I bought during their annual sale. I think they ran about 135 a piece, regular price of 180 I believe. They look very similar to the ones you have posted.

• 10KDiamond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jgopp - please email me privately ASAP (email in my member profile) as I am very interested in your Bensons and need to make a decision quickly or othewise order different lighting. Thanks to all for your insight & responses.

• jgopp
    13 years ago

Whoops! I wasn't saying I wanted to sell them...I love them! Sorry if I was a tad misleading, I was just wondering a bit more about what you're looking for. In case people care they look like this... don't mind the windows being plywood, they are in now.

• 10KDiamond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG - so sorry jgopp! I obviously covet the Bensons so much that I misinterpreted your message. That's too funny. They look gorgeous & sure wish they were on sale now. I'll go with the Murray Fiess & sure I'll be happy. BTW - do you mind me asking how large your island/pennisula is? I am trying to get a sense of scale for my own lighting. Thanks -

• blubird
    13 years ago

I know you didn't ask to see mine, but here's a picture of my 62" long island with 2 of the Murray Feiss Parker Place pendants. Although they don't look evenly placed, they are centered at just about 17" in from each end.

Helene

• jgopp
    13 years ago

10K - my island is about 9 and a half feet. Those pendants are 7 inch.

• cjc123
    13 years ago

I have something similar to what you are looking at in oil bronze but they come in crome. Mine were 127.20 plus tax, I did get a different shade for them. (many available!). Hudson Valley 9341-OB

From Kitchen before and after