Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

glass-front cabinets for utilitarian storage

joann23456
15 years ago

I have a century-old (very simple) Victorian house and am doing the basic white paint and recessed panel kitchen. I'd love some glass-front cabinets, but I only ever see them used for "pretty" storage these days. I never see anything like what my grandmother had - glass-front cabinets with boxes of baking soda and salt inside. (Trouble is, I can't really remember what grandma's looked like. All I see is a hazy sentimental image in my mind.)

Does anyone use glass-front cabinets to store ordinary stuff? If so, I'd love to see pictures.

Comments (18)

• User
    15 years ago

Yes I do....here are 2 pics of kitchen photos. The coffee area has all the reg stuff like tea bags and coffee bags and filters etc showing. My cabs have dishes on one side and on the other are canisters etc showing.The stuff on the counter in the pic is now in the glass cab. I have my other baking supplies mostly in the drawers. My house is an 1890 and I wanted the glass cabs to look more like what my DH's Grandmother had. I don't know that you can see everything in the cabs in these pics and I can take more if you like. The glass doors are actually salvaged Arts and Craft windows. I would LOVE to see pics of your kitchen ! Caroline

{{gwi:612474}}

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I used frosted glass in mine so I can store all sorts of unattractive stuff up there. I think the muted colors look kind of cool just barely showing through the glass.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I love the look of every-day, non-display items behind clear glass doors. I'm using clear glass in a tall pantry cabinet which will store all types of canned and boxed foods as well as baking ingredients in canisters. I'm also using clear glass in the wall cabinets that will hold all my every day dishes and glassware. Granted, my every day dishes are white and they match, and my drinking glasses are clear and pretty much match. When I was packing up my kitchen before demolition I threw all my plastic cups in the recycle and got rid of all the odd, chipped coffee mugs that we had accumulated over the years.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Another fan of frosted glass here. Bad pic:

• zelmar
    15 years ago

I prefer the look of more jumbled, less-staged storage behind glass doors in the kitchen. I like a more utilitarian feel for the kitchen and pretty storage left for the dining room. And I like practical plain glass.

I know someone with glass in all her uppers. The cabinets are small and are packed with all sorts of stuff. I love the cozy "working" feel.

Here are our glass cabinets. Our boxed and canned foods are in a wood pantry cabinet in the eating area. I keep jars of bulk food items on open shelves in the kitchen and tall jars of rice on the upper shelf of the cabinet to the left of the sink. Even with plain window glass, it's difficult to really see what's in the cabinets. Pictures are never like real life. The stuff in the cabinets aren't as overwhelming as they appear in 2-d. I like the more open feeling the glass gives to a kitchen and the break from the monotony of cabinetry.

I look forward to seeing your and erikanh's pictures. I was briefly in a kitchen in W. MI in the late 1980's while visiting to see a treadle sewing machine being sold. I loved the kitchen--in particular a wall cabinet that was asymmetrical and totally utilitarian looking. That was one of the big inspirations for my kitchen even though I was only in that kitchen for about 30 minutes and couldn't remember much about it after 15 years. I just remembered the feeling it gave me.

{{gwi:1574846}} {{gwi:1570742}}

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

All of my ordinary stuff is in glass-fronted cabinets (except the canned goods and groceries that are in the walk-in pantry). My 100 year old house and my kitchen aren't fancy, and I personally don't find ordinary stuff to be ugly. I transfer a lot of foods to antique glass jars that I pick up at flea markets...they look good and keep fresh. I can reach the bottom two shelves easily, so that's where all my quick grab stuff is.

So here goes... To the left of the sink are oils and vinegars, pastas and rice in glass jars, mixing bowls, etc.

{{gwi:1574847}}

To the right of the sink are all my dishes, glasses and platters, coffee supplies and toaster.

{{gwi:1574848}}

Next to the range is my spice cabinet.

{{gwi:1574850}}

Hope this helps!

• bbstx
    15 years ago

I am going to have 4 teeny cabinets on the refrigerator wall with glass cabinets. Initially, I am going with clear glass and display items there. But, if I later need the storage, I am going to change the clear glass to some sort of frosted/crackled/something that will allow the interior lights to show through but more or less obscure what is actually inside. When investigating the glass originally, I came across a recommendation on this website for Bendheim cabinet glass. Below is a link. If you choose to use something less than clear, the Bendheim site might be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bendheim Cabinet Glass

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

bbstx pointed out something I forgot to mention -- we used restoration glass in our upper cabinets. You can't really tell in my photos, but in person it makes a subtle but lovely difference. Worth considering if you have some wiggle room in your budget.

• plants4
    15 years ago

I think it depends upon what you consider to be ordinary everyday stuff. I think dishes and food in glass jars etc. is fine. But I once I went into a house where behind the clear class was a clutter of food bags and boxes and it was not charming at all, just plain ugly. In other words, boxes of baking soda and salt have a certain attraction to them but if you have bags of cereal and portions of different kinds of flours all thrown in there too (unless in jars) it's going to look bad.

• mfrog
    15 years ago

All my baking stuff was in a glass fronted cabinet. I too like the look of a working kitchen.

{{gwi:1393560}}

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I was originally going to put my Christmas dishes (2 different sets) in our two glass cabinets but was talked out of it b/c (1) they would be pretty well packed in and (2) it would mean Christmas items showing year-round.

I noticed that those of you who do use your glass cabs for more than just display haven't packed them...they seem to be lightly "populated" (no extra shelves to fit everything in or stacking things to fill up space b/w shelves).

I'm wondering now if I should go back to my original idea.

Right now, I have "display" items...and I sort of consider it wasted space so I can understand Joann23456's query.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Since I have so many drawers, I find that the cabinets on the sink side of the kitchen rarely ever get used. I am thinking about replacing the etched glass on that side to display my great grandmother's china. I'll leave the etched glass on the food prep side.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

You can also have some cabinets with glass doors and some with solid doors. I like this combination, it gives the kitchen some variety.

• sally123
    15 years ago

I have a glass-fronted cabinet that holds all our plates, bowls, and glasses. These are actually the dishes we use all the time. I have 5 glass shelves in there so it can hold everything, and the bottom shelves are fairly close together so my kids (who set the table and empty the dishwasher) can reach them.

(There is usually anonther stack of plates on the bottom right but they are in the dishwasher.) I must admit, though, that the few colorful plastic bowls and cups I own have been relegated to a drawer below.

• joann23456
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is great, though all of you have such nice, organized kitchens. Arlosmom, I don't know how I missed your kitchen - it's just gorgeous. Do you have a website where I can see the rest?

Zelmar and Sally123, I love your cabinets. I like the frosted glass, too, but I think I prefer the clear glass.

I noticed that a few of you transfer food to prettier containers. I used to do that, but doubt I'll do it any more. I just can't decide how it would look to have some of the cabinets I have now open for view. I'm hoping that my new cabinets will be more organized and thus prettier.

Sally, would you tell me how wide that cabinet is? It never occurred to me to put all the ordinary dishes *and* glasses together, but I think I could do it and move the less-used stuff elsewhere. I love the way it looks.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

This was timely. I was actually a little surprised when my Mom said she wanted glass fronted cabinets (if it isn't practical she doesn't usually want it) so my first question was what will you put in them? She has a few china tea cups and a nice set of everyday Royal Doulton (pattern is Tangent) which she uses as good China which she told me she wanted to put in them (along with glassware). She waivered between mullions and glass and finally ended up with patterned glass (Silvit). I though if it was going to be on display I should try and complete the her set so I searched online and found a few pieces (still short 2 dinner plates and one soup bowl) and bought them for her for Christmas.

She sent me pictures this week and this is what her cabinets looks like:

Today I finally asked what happened to the china and she informed me that she had decided it was better to keep it in her buffet where nobody can see it so she can display an assortment of mostly worthless crap in her glass cupboards. Her house, her choices but seriously if we had been in the same room... well let's not go there.

I think all the pictures in the posts look a fair bit nicer than what I posted (but of course I know just how crappy the stuff in those cupboards is), I'm not sure about glass fronts on cupboards with just anything in them but I really do like the ones with food, spices etc in them it really is charming (but it wouldn't work in every kitchen). I think the styling\organization of the cupboards is what really matters not necessarily the items themselves (though there are limits).

• autumngal
    15 years ago

This has been great for me to see because like Trailrunner, we are planning to use reclaimed windows for our upper cabinet doors. We've found some perfect ones for some parts but are still searching for the right ones for the other side of the sink.

At first, I was timid for the "working kitchen" now I want to go for it. I love the look and am so excited about it.

Arlosmom, I'd also love to see a site where your kitchen is, I vaguly remember photos but it's almost exactly what I am going for in my kitchen would love the inspiration!

Thanks for posting-

• sally123
    15 years ago

Joann,
    Sorry it took so long to respond. The cabinet is 39 inches wide, but they hold an awful lot because they are also 48 inches tall.
    Sally

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations