Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weiss528i_gw

Show me your Rugs ...

weiss528i
12 years ago

Looking for ideas for rugs located by the sink, cooktop and refrigerator ..... Please show me pictures of yours. Also, why you selected them, if you are still happy with them and/or what you would do differently the next time.

Thanks.

Comments (23)

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's a vote for no rugs in the kitchen. I find they just make the kitchen floor more difficult to keep clean.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I love my kitchen rugs. I live in cold New England and
    even with slippers it is so nice to stand at my sink
    with a cozy rug under my feet.

I shop at HomeDecorators, JCP and Home good.
    Have had great luck with Homedecorators.

Here are a few pictures of mine. I change my rugs often.
    I even wash them. Some are wool and yes I wash them in
    my washing machine. Shoes are left at the door and I have
    a mini vac right by my mud room. Keeps my floors pretty that
    way.

~boxer

Stain master synthetic but feels like wool.

And these below are rugs in kitchen pictures I have.
    Not mine but lovely.
    I do notice that white kichens tend to have rugs to add
    color but stained wood kitchens seem to go with the
    beautiful floors without rugs.

• leela4
    12 years ago

We have wool rugs to protect the floor where we tend to be the messiest. After a year they have held up well, although after all the holiday bread, cookies and candy making they could probably stand to be cleaned.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

You find the best pictures, boxerpups! I'll add that my husband's grandmother used rag rugs that she braided herself. I never met her, but her rugs were still in use by the time I came along.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

My grandmother made rag rugs too.
    I wonder if it is a yankee thing?
    Thanks Suzannesl. I love kitchen eye candy.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I remember seeing some really great rugs on some recent threads on the topic. My fav is histokitch's rug. Plus, her kitchen is just downright amazing too! I don't have time to list the threads, but here's a link to a google search for this site and rugs. You should be able to find lots of pics and info.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of rug threads

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

boxerpups, rag rugs may indeed be Yankee, but not exclusively. That grandmother came from Australia, although a few generations before that, the family came (was transported?) from Ireland. She was actually born in Tasmania. Once here, she married a Dutch immigrant. Maybe rag rugs were a Depression thing. That's when her daughters were small.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

My grandmother (a yankee from RI) made rag rugs too! In fact, I have one of them...probably 70 years old by now. It was stored in my parent's attic for at least 30 of those years and in my basement for 20. On the floor in my previous house for about 5 years, now once again relegated to storage.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

I have had this holiday rug for at least 15 years. Here it is in my new kitchen. Every year when I bring it out I think, I should get a rug that I can use other times of the year. Well, now you really have me wanting a rug for my kitchen. I think I will go shopping.

• coco4444
    12 years ago

I use a thick bath mat at my sink; it's comfy and helps protect my wood floor from water. And machine washable! But after seeing all those beautiful rugs I think I should go shopping too! Way to stimulate the economy boxerpups! :)

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

I have a jute rug at the sink, because I tend to drip water from the sink to the dishwasher. Otherwise I wouldn't use one. It was only about $16 at TJMaxx. If it gets dirty, I can just replace it. I used to have a rubber type protector under it, but it left a pattern on my hardwood floor. We just had floors refinished, so this time I'm using a softer type rug pad.

• natal
    12 years ago

For me they have to be washable. Either in the machine or with a garden hose. The one I have at the sink now is indoor/outdoor.

• jakkom
    12 years ago

Any rug will do, as long as it's washable. Maybe I'm just a messy cook, but my two runners get absolutely filthy in a very short time. They're just 5' long plain, latex-backed runners in dark sage green olefin, washable from JCP.

I love the many Oriental and Chinese rugs we own (so many I've got some rolled up in the basement and another farmed out to my ex-BIL), but there is absolutely no way I would put one in my kitchen, at least right in my workspace. I can barely afford to haul mine off to a cleaning service every couple of years, as it is.

• sjmitch
    12 years ago

Here is my wool rug that I use in from of my sink, dishwasher, and garbage/recycle centre. It was inexpensive, but able to hide stuff.

• sjmitch
    12 years ago

photobucket and I are not cooperating today - sorry

• MDBmom
    12 years ago

I have this one from West Elm and LOVE it as it washes and dries beautifully in the machines and is inexpensive:o). I have 3 little kids so it gets pretty dirty quickly. It doesn't lose any of its color or bleed when washed. I have the red one from last year but i like these colors too. HTH.

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm Striped Rug

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I've tried so many different kinds of rug in the kitchen (my feet get cold easily so a rug is de rigeur), and to my surprise the absolute winner has been a vintage Persian wool number.

It is very tough, thick, vacuums well, doesn't stain, and is small enough that we can afford to have it dry-cleaned once every 18 months or so. Believe it or not it appears to only need it about that often, even with my frat boy cooking habits. Who knew?

• clooney161
    12 years ago

I bought an "outdoor" rug from Grandin Road. Have been using it in my mudroom while my kitchen was being done. Has worn very well so far!

• sjmitch
    12 years ago

Here is my picture

• littlesmokie
    12 years ago

Some of the striped rugs at Dash & Albert have a nice vintage vibe to them (FWIW I noticed Rejuvenation Hardware carries some of these D&A rugs in their store, too.)

I picked up something similar at Pier 1 Imports last month, but don't know how they'll hold up over the long haul.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dash & Albert Rugs

• regina_phalange
    12 years ago

I chose mine b/c I wanted to add color. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. I really wanted a large circle one to go under the table in the breakfast nook but it was out of my price-range so I settled for a half-moon in front of the sink...

standing at the kitchen sink, you see the nook which has orange curtains so I thought the rug would compliment.

• zelmar
    12 years ago

Our rugs protect the wood floors on the main path from the mudroom to the rest of the house. They are wool and have held up well over the last couple of years. The texture reminds me of needlepoint. I think a Persian type rug would have been better but I couldn't find something I liked in the right price range (these were on clearance from Pottery Barn.) But I really don't have any complaints about these.

I don't feel as much of a need for a rug in the actual cooking zone, in fact I worry about tripping if an edge gets turned up accidentally. We have a bamboo mat next to the main sink that stays put and works well to protect the floor from water splashes.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I'm a messy cook,too. I really need something in front of the stove on my old wood floor for grease splatters, but it would need to be very washable and not stain.