Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaceysmom512

Red Kitchen

jaceysmom512
14 years ago

Hi! this is my first post here- I have been lurking here for months now and love it.

Anyway, we built a house and we move this Friday and I need to commit to wall colors now.

My favorite color has always been red so i want a red kitchen. If anyone has pics of red kitchen walls could you post it?

Thanks!!

Comments (10)

• rosiew
    14 years ago

Sorry, no pic, but friend here has white cabinets and an awesome red for the walls. Fabulous looking. Let us see what you do!

Rosie

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

I love red! I have a red guest room in the basement (done years ago) - all white trim with deep red walls - and the painters thought I was nuts but I like it. I'm adding pictures that sorta kinda capture the colors, but you'd have to see them in person.

For my kitchen I had originally picked out a really red color, Caliente, from Benjamin Moore. I have a friend with a great eye for color so I always consult her, and she felt that color red would be what people notice rather than the rest of the kitchen. So we used a more subdued color. It's on one long wall, a short wall by our table, and around the butler pantry (the other walls are cabinets and backsplash.) It's a strong color but the walls it's on are very open, and it's tempered by a very neutral color on the FR and mudroom walls you can see beyond the kitchen:
    {{gwi:1573830}}

{{gwi:1397962}}

This may sound weird, but we picked a kind of greyish purple for the dining room, and the color contrast is really nice. The DR walls look more grey or more lavender depending on the lighting. There are weird reflections in this shot but you get the idea:
    {{gwi:1573831}}

And finally here is the red room we did many years ago that caused the painters to question my sanity. It's not as orange as it looks here. I think this would be a bit much for a kitchen:
    {{gwi:1573832}}

Details (all Benjamin Moore colors, but the painters mixed the paint using Sherwin Williams low VOC line):
    kitchen walls: 035 Baked Clay
    dining room: 1447 Amethyst sky
    family room and mudroom: HC-45 Shaker Beige
    trim: AF-15 Steam
    red room in basement: don't know (and those painters took the leftover paint with them!)

Hope this helps!

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

Here's a link to a recent thread. The kitchen is a gorgeous shade of red!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread from last week

• thingsthatinspire
    14 years ago

When I read this post, I thought about a kitchen I saw yesterday in the kitchen design store - it was all red! Cabinets, counters, appliances. What a commitment! Paint, that can be changed. I say go for it! Also, google red kitchen walls, and click on images - I am sure you will find lots of good pictures.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I have red accents in my kitchen because I have a red
    sofa in the family room off the kitchen. I love red too.

I did paint my dining room a red color. It used to be
    Red Currant by Behr but I did not like the depth of this
    paint so rather than run out to get an expensive Ben
    Moore paint I tried this out door paint we had in our
    basement also by Behr called Cherry Bark gloss. And now I
    love this red dining room even more.

Here are some reds I have thought about trying someday
    when I get sick of the red I currently have.

Habanero Pepper BM

Sangria Benjamin Moore from a FlickR image

Heritage Red by BM

Lattice Red by Ralph Lauren (I think this is from the
    same company as Behr not sure)

Red Stone BM

• prestonbeary
    14 years ago

chicagoans...

Can you tell me more about the herringbone floor posted in the background of your photo. It looks very cool!

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Thank you prestonbeary! My DH picked out those tiles and they get lots of compliments. They are in our mudroom, powder room, and the hall that connects those rooms to the kitchen.

The tiles are Crossville Tuscany Clay 3 x 16"; the color is Marrone. We paid a bit more for the tile and the labor (due to the herringbone pattern) but I'm glad we did.

There is ALOT more variation in the tiles than what is on the sample board. Here is the sample board picture:
    {{gwi:1573845}}

So you can imagine my surprise when I saw them installed! Luckily I like them the way they are. This picture shows a bit more how they look:
    {{gwi:1397961}}

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

oops that should be Crossville Tuscan Clay (not Tuscany)

• prestonbeary
    14 years ago

Beautiful tiles... do you mind sharing what you paid per sq. ft. for them? I want to see if they are even in my ballpark!!

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Hi prestonbeary:

My recollection is a bit fuzzy and I couldn't find the tile receipt (this was part of a large renovation so the price is bundled in.) Anyway, I think our tile allowance was only about $4/sq foot and this tile was closer to $8/sq foot. But I just found this link at $7.23 / sq ft.
    http://www.fastfloors.com/lp_20837,0,145123/Crossville-Tile-Stone/_/Tuscan-Clay-3-x-16/product.htm

The labor was more expensive than for standard patterns. If you are a DIYer, this pattern might be tricky unless you are experienced. The tile setters used beams of light in 2 directions to line up the points of the tiles. (I'm not sure if this is a common practice for other patterns too, but it seemed like a good idea.)

The Crossville site (www.crossvilleinc.com) seems to have lots of good information. The Tuscan Clay series comes in 4 colors and many sizes.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Crossville Tile Tuscan Clay brochure: colors, sizes and patterns