Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmoffitt7

Shiloh vs Thomasville/Home Depot

Ken Moffitt
10 years ago

Trying to decide between the two choices. Seems that the Shiloh may be a better made cabinet and we can get the painted white inset style that we want, however, the Thomasville cabinet while not an inset, doesn't seem to be a bad cabinet and we could go with the full wrap white laminate product which seems pretty durable and has a pretty nice finish. Other benefit of Home Depot is 6 months same as cash, and can even include the installation in that.

In the end we want quality and I assume the Shiloh is better, but the painted finish might not be as durable as the laminate.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Comments (10)

• kompy
    10 years ago

GO with the Shiloh!!! They're an amazing company and their painted finishes are beautiful.

Do NOT go with thermofoil from ANY manufacturer. They do not hold up well at all. They can delaminate!!! I've seen it over and over. I'm a KD and I see it all the time. I no longer recommend thermofoil unless it's from a highly reputable custom line. But even then, I am skeptical.

The Shiloh inset with paint will give your home SO much more value for the money! Plus it will LOOK so much better. Thermofoil usually looks plasticky and cheap. Do a search on houzz.com for Shiloh Cabinetry and you'll see lots of gorgeous white painted kitchens.

Good luck!
    Kompy

• kompy
    10 years ago

Thanks for the correction. I Googled around and saw a few complaints about Thomasville laminate cabinets.
    -They yellowed over time
    -They were equivalent to thermofoil in many ways
    -Thomasville was rated the absolute lowest of all cabinet manufacturers in the US at a ratings website. They fell under American Woodmark, Homecrest, Yorktowne and Shenandoah!

While I don't 100% trust that website and there aren't enough reviews to support it's stance.....but still, it isn't a medium or highly rated company either. This same site placed KraftMaid over Medallion, which I disagree with....but both companies still had better than average reviews.

Also read the reviews on Consumer Affairs on Home Depot...see link below. Home depot really does not want to be in the kitchen business....they know it's over their heads and hard to control/manage. I hear they are testing a new way of running their kitchen dept. where all design will be done at one location for the entire USA. Let's see how that works out for them.

You are definitely making the right choice with Shiloh. What was the price difference and how big is your kitchen? Number of cabinets? Just curious!

Here is a link that might be useful: consumer affairs

• Ken Moffitt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great feedback, thank you. I didn't think about the yellowing but it does make sense, and I suppose it could still de-laminate. Actually the pricing between the two was very close, within about 10% or so, when I say that I'm almost embarrassed that I was asking the original question.

I didn't think the Thomasvilles were rated that poorly, we have them in our master bath and they have been fine and probably get more use than our kitchen cabinets! But I don't think we can go wrong with the Shiloh's.

I just want to be sure this time as we just remodeled about 3 years ago and had a horrible experience with a custom cabinet maker so we are literally just removing the granite and replacing the cabinets under it while hopefully keeping the exact same footprint.

• kompy
    10 years ago

You'll be happy with the Shiloh! But one thing to be aware of.....make sure if you have a double door cabinet, that it has the BT option (Butt door). Otherwise, you'll have a 3" center rail going down the middle of your cabinet. On wide cabinets over 36", it's required and looks OK. But would look bad on a 30" or 33" cabinet, I think. It's an easy thing for a KD to overlook. But just remember, they offer double door cabinets both ways....with center stile or butt.

• User
    10 years ago

Sorry, but that low rating for Thomasville is probably more about HD and their ''designers'' than it is about the actual cabinet quality. The actual cabinet quality is pretty good. It's the same as Diamond, Schrock, and Kemper. Exactly the same. Same factories. Same production lines.

Dealing with HD though, that's nothing but a complete crapshoot. With them converting to only a central design office with no actual designers in store, it's likely to be an even worse nightmare than ormal. Run away from that as fast as you can.

• amh615
    10 years ago

My Shiloh polar white beaded inset cabinets are shipping next week...kitchen renovation to start in February. I didn't do a lot of shopping around, but I fell in love with the beaded inset option, and get the impression that the quality is good.

• delgal60
    10 years ago

We are starting a kitchen remodel and I got a price on Schrock from a small store and quotes from HD/Lowes on AW/Shenandoah. When I told the HD salesperson that I was probably going with the Schrock because they have the color I wanted and we have had Schrock for 15 years with good results, she called me back after a few minutes, telling me Thomasville is the same company as Schrock and could she quote me a price. So I'm waiting until she gets back to work tomorrow for that quote. But in the meantime, I have been scouring the internet to find out if Thomasville is a lower quality than the Schrock or what. I finally found this up-to-date thread and hollysprings seemed to have the answer. I've read not so great reviews about Thomasville, but not about Schrock. Plus a Lowes salesman said he wasn't too keen on recommending Diamond, which is Thomasville, but I didn't press further at the time as to why. I'm not afraid to work with our local HD, so it pretty much comes down to price. Hollysprings, if you have any other info to add to what you already said on this subject, please add. Thanks!

• fishymom
    10 years ago

We had a white Thomasville vanity in our kids bathroom for 10 years and it still looked great when we sold the house last year. This cabinet took a lot of abuse from kids, teenagers and my elderly father and held up very well. If the kitchen cabinets are the same quality, I would not hesitate to use them.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Which white Shiloh Inset Cabinet Door and which style were you thinking about?

I also almost considered Thomasville but now I am back to thinking Shiloh. It is just that the kitchen designer brought his samples over and I was set on the Polar White I saw at a show room near me but the Polar White door he had with him had a grayish tint to it that did not go well with the tiles I bought. The Soft White actually looked nice despite wishing it was whiter but it looked niced with my tiles. Now I am confused.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!