Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantakitchen_gw

36 or 30 inch sink base?

wantakitchen
15 years ago

Here's a question I posed on IKEAfans and thought I'd see what the folks here think: Is there any advantage to a bigger sink base? A 36 inch base might allow a garbage can under it, but a 30-inch base would presumably free up some inches for a pull-out trash bin next to the sink. I'm planning on a single bowl, as big as I can get in the 30-inch base, perhaps the Ticor that so many people here like.

A disadvantage to the trash under the sink is that whoever is washing has to move so someone else can get at it. A disadvantage to the pull out (or so I hear) is the potential smell spreading to other cabinets. I currently have a stand can next to cabinets but not next to the sink, so I'm always getting drippings on the floor.

Any thoughts?

Comments (17)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I LOVE my pull out trash can. And since all the cabinets are individual boxes, the smell can't travel to the other cabinets....it is all confined to the sink base. I currently have one pull-out in my 24" wide sink base and it fits. It is not the kind that has the door attached though. I have my trash in the cabinet next to the sink with the pull-out that attaches to the door and I like it SO much better! I am pretty sure if you went with a 30" sink base, you could get at least one nice trash pull out on one side, and possibly one on each side if your plumber is careful to keep all the plumbing dead center under the sink.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

My new kitchen will have a 31.5?/32" base, which won't accomodate an undermount installation of the sink that I have my heart set on (luckily, the sink is also available in self rimming). Maybe pick your sink first? And the style that you want (undermount or self-rimming?)

I have IKEA pull out recycling bins under the sink - love'em. Haven't figured out the trash situation yet as I do find that having it under the sink to be tough when someone is standing there....

• wantakitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good point. And I do empty my trash frequently. I guess the real question is where is it best to put the trash, under the sink or next to it?

• astridh
    15 years ago

I think it is much better to have a trash pull-out next to the sink so that it can be accessed without getting in the way of someone working at the sink.

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

I prefer having my two trash cans (regular & recycling) under the sink. I chose a 36" base so both would fit. I could have had a trash pullout, but wanted that space for more drawer storage, and really, I couldn't think what else I could store under the sink if not the trash? In addition to the 2 cans, I have the dish detergents and sponges. I have a large laundry room adjacent to the kitchen for all the other cleaning stuff. With a 36" base, someone can be doing dishes and there is still room to get at the trash.

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Lightystarched,
    What make and size is your sink?

• chefkev
    15 years ago

I couldn't fit a 36" sink base, but was able to get a 33" inch one which fits a majority of sinks. I was able to install a rev-a-shelf trash pull-out underneath which I love and it doesn't smell.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I love my trash pullout and my 36" sink base. My trash pullout is IN my 36" sink base:

BUT, that does not resolve the issue of the person at the sink having to move. I just couldn't give up another cabinet for trash. My kitchen just isn't big enough. The GD gets in the way so I can't have two trash cans, but it makes the bottle for my neverMT very easy to access, and I keep a box of extra trash bags next to it.

Sue

• kristas1923
    15 years ago

From what I understand, a 33" sink base is very common. Especially if you are looking for an undermount sink like in the link below. Most undermount kitchen sinks are sized for a 33" or larger sink base.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Single Bowl Kitchen Sink

• katiekitchen
    15 years ago

Sue and Kevin - Can you please tell me more about your trash pull outs? I know I saw an old thread a while back where you gave details, but I can't seem to find it and you both did just what I want to do - trash pullouts under sink in 36" sink base with GD. Thanks!

• chefkev
    15 years ago

katiekitchen - I can't find the darn thread either. I'm going to keep looking because it had a lot of photo's and good info that would be difficult to reconstruct. I believe sue_ct had a perfectly worded explanation that I thought was especially helpful.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Sorry guys, haven't been keeping up with the threads lately. I can't find that thread, either, although I have found the search function to be severely lacking lately. What you need for a trash pullout with a GD is a bottom mount, double trash pullout with the second trash can removed so the pullout can slide under the GD and the trash can remains in front of the GD when it is closed. The best one I found was the one I used from Rev-a-shelf, but I know chefkev found a different one. However, if you get a sink with the GD on one side instead of in the middle, you might be able to fit a double with the trash cans in both. The key is knowing how wide the opening will be for the door, and how low your GD will be so you can be sure it will slide underneath. For that reason it is probably best purchased after the sink plumbing is in. If you are buying a new GD and want to do this I would not buy the largest GD, so that it will allow space for the trash pullout to slide underneath it. I have more photos of the installation if you need it.

Sue

• chefkev
    15 years ago

I did use Rev-a-shelf, but a different model - there are several that will work. Mine is a 35 qt bin which is a nice size. As sue_ct says, smaller GD is a help: I'm very happy with the Insinkerator Evolution Compact. Also helpful is sinks with drains more towards the back. I am including pictures of my pull-out in case it's a help.

Before Door Mounting

Close up of door mount inside:

Outside of cabs after door mount (after 2 1/2 hours of playing carefully with the adjustment screws & washers I finally got to to line up properly (or at least pretty darn close):

• katiekitchen
    15 years ago

sue_ct and chefkev - thanks so much. my cabinet is in. i got an evolution compact GD and sink with drain in back based on that old thread of your's i had read. now, i have to either find someone to help me install it or bite the bullet and drill holes in my cabinet myself!

sue_ct - are you in CT? i am. what part are you in?

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Katie, I am in CT, north of Hartford. Where are you? Remember the model of pullout and the size will depend in part on where your GD is. If it is in the center towards the back, like mine, the basket needs to sit in front of it and the base needs to slide under it. If your GD is on one side and you have double drains, like chefkev, your pullout will more likely slide under the plumbing like his does, and the GD will be on the other side. If you have a single drain on one side instead of in the middle, that is the best of both worlds, you might be able to use any bottom mount that fits your door opening. Here is a picture of it sliding under the GD. I had to tape the cord up because I was reusing my old GD and it barely fit and then I realized when I measured I forgot to allow enough extra space for the cord. When it is time to replace the GD I will get a slightly smaller one.

Let me know if you need more info or photos. It would help if you posted what you have for a sink and drain setup also, and what side the DW is on, as well as the GD.

Sue

• raehelen
    15 years ago

#1 is to decide on your sink, and then make sure your cabinet is big enough to house it. Ours 'barely' fit into our 36" sink base.

I have my garbage on the sink door, that way it swings out of my way- I seem to always be putting some thing in there while cleaning dishes. I would find a pullout in my way. The 'trash pullout' which I use for recycling is on the other side of the DW. I'd hate to have to go over or around the DW to have to empty plates/sink, etc.