Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkrazed09

Questions for Katieob, Ajard, Blakey, Similar Range Hood Owners

kitchenkrazed09
13 years ago

First of all, let me say that all of your kitchens are in my inspiration folder. I especially love your range hoods. I am planning to order a Modernaire range hood installed in a similar way (against the wall between two cabinets), but with a little different look. (Blakey, I know yours is a Rangecraft. It's beautiful!)

I was wondering, did you have the hood installed before or after the backsplash? Did you encounter any problems installing it the way you did? Did any of you order an internal blower from a different company to use with the hood?

Thanks in advance for any help. Also, thank you for posting your beautiful kitchens as inspiration.

Comments (10)

• katieob
    13 years ago

Hi kk09~

Thanks for your kind words. I love these hoods too. Unique and interesting, but very functional! Hood went in before backsplash, if my memory serves me right. The only issues we had were regarding clearance from top of cooktop to hood-just check your range manual to avoid a re-do. Oh, and I remember it being very heavy for the guys. We ordered the whole shebang, blower etc. from Modernaire (Contact:Pat Hartman).

Good luck & post pics!
    Katie

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Katieob! I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the clearance between the top of the cooktop and the hood? I'm ordering a Wolf 36" rangetop with 6 burners. I checked the installation instructions on their web site and it suggests installing the hood 30-36" above the cooktop surface. Is that what you mean? Also, do you find the Modernaire blower to be very loud? Thanks!

• katieob
    13 years ago

Hi~

Yes-you already checked the instructions, you're fine. We had a stickler inspector who was very literal with every recommendation in the manual, took issue with the inches and insisted on measuring from the top of the cooking grates, etc. We ended up taking the feet off the range to appease him-I was not touching that hood once it was in!

Yes, it's somewhat loud. I usually only put it on high when I'm searing steaks and not for long. No big deal to me. We have 2 toddlers and a large dog, so it just adds to the symphony at supper time......

Katie

• kitchen_angst
    13 years ago

Hi KitchenK. I also have a modernaire. The only installation issue we encountered was that the ductwork diameter is very large, and it was a tight to fit it in the depth of the upper cabinet (where the duct exits). The hood works great but it is loud, even at the lowest setting.

Given the power of the hoods you should also check and see whether make up air is an issue in your area. There are different code regulations, to my understanding.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Katieob. I like how you describe it as a symphony. :)

Hi Kitchen angst. Oh, your kitchen is beautiful too. I love the creamy white cabinets and the storage. Thanks for your advice. I am a little concerned about the size of the duct and whether it will fit within the ceiling bay above the hood. Good point about the make up air. Did you have your hood installed before the backsplash? Thanks!

• kitchen_angst
    13 years ago

I think so. As I recall, the order was cabinets, granite, hood, backsplash.

Also, one other minor issue. The hood I used, PS26, has bands, and the upper cabinet sits on the bands. This leaves a gap between the bottom of the upper cabinet and the areas of the hood in between the bands. My GC was worried that looking at the "gaps" would be bad, so installed a dark filler band so that the gaps can't be seen.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, Kitchen angst. That's a good solution to the gaps. We will be installing molding directly above the hood, but will probably have the same issue.

I think the plan is to install in this order: cabinets and hood at the same time (wall cabinet, hood, wall cabinet from left to right), then crown molding, granite, backsplash, then rangetop (but have the rangetop on site for the fabricator). Does anyone see any problems doing it this way?

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump

• ajard
    13 years ago

HI.. I have not been on here in sooo long. I was showing it to my sister in law and came across this note. Thank you .. my hood was installed before the backsplash. I did not order parts from other companies, but I have an induction cooktop and I dont fry often at all.. so I didnt need it to be ultra powerful.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Ajard!

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax