Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boschboy

Kitchen Demo Weeks 1 and 2...with pics

boschboy
12 years ago

The kitchen demo started after we received a call from Krafmaid letting us know the cabinets would be delivered on February 10. 3 1/2 weeks seems like a long time until you start with a list of everything that needs to be completed prior to installing cabinets. Yes, we are doing all the work ourselves.

1. Remove old cabinets

2. Remove lots of wallpaper

3. Run new electrical lines for oven, outlets and lights

3. Install ceiling speakers

4. Install wood floor under old cabinets. (We had installed a wood floor 3 years ago and they also need to run under the new cabinets now.)

5. Paint ceiling and walls

6. Install duct for new vent hood

Sink and vent hood have arrived. I also purchased a single induction cooktop to cook meals on. I have to be very creative with meal planning.

First are 3 pics prior to any demo. Lots and lots of wallpaper!!

Below is where the double oven is moving to.

Kitchen essentials for the next few weeks. Yes, 2 wine glasses are essential!!

The dogs are concerned with all the changes.

My temporary kitchen is set up in the breakfast area.

The desk was the first thing to go.

Like an episode of Lost, my dog Jack wondered where the island went.

Cooktop removed.

No more wallpaper!!

Dinner is cooking after a long weekend.

Luckily no major problems so far. Have found lots of electrical and construction issues that would make Mike Holmes cringe, but we have been able to correct them so far.

I will post more pics over the next few weeks. Phew!!

Comments (9)

• mobydog
    12 years ago

Wow- impressive demo. We are about to embark on the same path as you doing all of the work ourselves. Did you re-sell your cabinets, donate them or get a dumpster? These are some of the logistics we are trying to work out. We have two small children so we are trying to minimize our time without a kitchen. How long did it take to remove all the cabinets?

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

I know it looks like a horrible experience, but I loved every minute of our demo. The demo is the worst part. By the time the cabinets come, everything will be ready and it's magical.
    thanks for the photos.
    Laura

• boschboy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have friends who wanted some of the old cabinets. They came by last week to pick them up. They wanted them for their basement. The rest will be donated to Habitat for Humanity Restore.

Removal of the cabinets was pretty easy. We had everything out within a week. We did get to know our electrical panel pretty well over the week as we removed the oven, cooktop, dishwasher and disposal. I am planning on 8-10 weeks without my kitchen. After the cabinets go in the granite countertops will need to be measured, slab picked out and installed. After that the backsplash tile will be installed. Once that is done I should be able to start cooking again!!

• bodhi
    12 years ago

haha, love the lost reverence!

And with that 3 dog bowl setup, can your dogs eat that close to each other and not steal each others food? Impressive.

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

I'll be following your progress- I just spent the weekend emptying my kitchen and setting up our temp kitchen. We are also doing all the work ourselves, except the granite. I anticipate within 1-2 weeks we are going to have our dumpster and start major demolition. Our cabinets are too beat to donate. I think our dog will avoid the mess, but I'm sure our cats will want to be in the thick of it! I don't know how I'm going to keep them out. Good luck! And keep the pics coming...

• Bunny
    12 years ago

rocketmomkd, I have two full-grown kittens who are unruly and into everything. Plus they are indoor-only so I can't just toss them outside. Whenever there's a worker here, I put them in my guest bedroom with food, water, litterbox. Sometimes they cry to be let out, but I ignore them. It would be crazy to have them loose in the house. Of course, once everyone's gone, they love to explore. Their favorite part of the reno is cabinets without doors and drawers, which is like spelunking to them.

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

linelle- my main concern if for when the dry wall is down. I do have a spare bedroom, so I guess I can have them hang up there with all their supplies. But that will mean moving my son's lizard back into his room. Can't have the kitties trying to get into the lizard cage!

• User
    12 years ago

I notice the kitchen pig was essential as well as the wine glasses...

Have lots of fun!

• Fori
    12 years ago

Weeee what fun!

(I do have to say, though, who ever did that wallpaper...impressive! It's hard to hang stripes and get them perfect!)