Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positano_gw

New Cream cabs installed....feel like I went too creamy!

positano
15 years ago

They are beautiful, but I wish I had gone a little whiter. It looks terrible with all the white primer and I know once we paint the trim and the walls it will help. The lighting isn't done either, so I'm hoping that will make it less creamy.

Anyone else feel this way when they had the cabinets installed?

Comments (36)

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Yes, I felt the same way, and now I love them. With the white primer they looked dirty and dingy to me. Which is why I was appalled when my KD wanted me to paint the ceilings stark white, just like the primer. I said no way, and glad I did.

You'll love them once all the elements are in place.

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, I'm settling down now. It's so hard when you have a vision and it doesn't go that way. They are beautiful cabinets and the new space is amazing. Compared to what we had before this is heaven. I just can't wait to paint and get the granite.

Jeannie-thanks for the comment.. I didn't paint the ceiling white either, that does help to blend it together.

• josie724
    15 years ago

I have wood trim on my window and on my french doors which are next to the cabinets. I took a door and had trim paint matched and that helped with the color contrast. Lucikly I don't have any base board next to my cabinets so I was able to keep those white.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I had a similar (albeit opposite) feeling: when our cabs were delivered I had this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that I should have gone with cream (ours are white).

It took me a while to remind myself why I'd chosen the color I had and now that we've been working in the kitchen for seven months I know I was right ... but that's not to say I don't still drool over others cream kitchens!

I think whatever is chosen it's only natural to second-guess it -- for you it's cream, for me it was white.

Post some pictures?

• bdaykitchen
    15 years ago

My cream cabinets are being built now :). SO, what color did you paint the ceiling to avoid the "dirty" looking contrast?

P.S.- I'm glad you both mentioned this- another good piece of advice from GWers that I never would have considered!

• gwent
    15 years ago

Hang in there. Once all other elements/colors/textures in the room are in place it will come together. I had the SAME reaction when my yellowish cabs went in. I felt sick to my stomach thinking I had made a HUGE costly mistake (it was too much yellow) but as wiser GWers advised me- once the counters, wall paint, floor was refinished etc. were done- it all came together as envisioned. Hang in there!

• Nicole Valentine
    15 years ago

I felt the same at first - until I painted my window trim a lighter cream instead of the original bright white. I used Finnerman and Haley Galahad btw.

Once everything is in place you'll be much happier.

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gwent, I do have that sick to my stomach feeling. It doesn't help that the old white fridge and stove are still next to the cabs. New stainless appliances get delivered on Tue. I'll post a pic then. When I turn off the lights all I see is yellow.....uggh. I wish I could fast forward to completing it all!!

I painted the ceiling BM Mayonnaise. I think my cabs are closer to Linen White. Mine don't feel dirty just yellowish. BTW Dh thinks I'm crazy and loves it, so maybe its just me.I do have a tendency to over analyze everything. All I've been doing is staring at them!

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

positano,
    I am sure once the new appliances are in and you have painted it will all come together. I did as Josie did and painted my trim the same color as the cabinets. For the wall color I went 25% of the trim color, but wanted a fairly simplistic color scheme since my counters and island were dark and different colors.

can't wait to see it. will you be posting some pics?

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Interesting, in my Mom's kitchen we continued with the BM "Cloud White" from the adjoining "L" shaped living room - dining room. Her unit has soffets so the Antique White cabs don't intersect with the ceiling. It's funny what things engage you as the room comes together but one of the things I like best is the flat white ceiling - for some reason to me it sort of makes the room work. It may be the way the cabinetry is completely outlined by the dark wall colour but the whiter ceiling doesn't make it look dirty. Trim only has right angled intersections with the cabinetry but it remains to be seen if that will work out nearly as well.

In natural light:

The trifecta overhead, natural and the flash:

• lesmis
    15 years ago

I agree that until everything is in place it's hard to tell. I thought I wanted cream but after bringing home sample door after sample door I am going with white.

Even before my cabinets are finished though I'm starting the second guessing process! I know I'll love them when they are in, but I'm sure the bright white will be a shock for a little while.

For those of you who have done "white" white in your kitchen, what color did you paint your cabinets?

Hang in there, all you are seeing right now is a huge expanse of cream cabinetry, when you get all your other fixtures in you'll end up loving it. Plus think about when you look at photos of finished kitchens, your eye is drawn to the accessories and other items in the kitchen, your cabinetry is the backdrop for all those other elements!

Kat

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the advice. With the lights on they seem fine, but once the lights are off without the sunlight they just seem too dark. Usually my kitchen is very sunny, yeseterday it was snowing out so kind of dark.

After seeing Blue's post about painting her cabinets white I understand. I'm hoping I get over this feeling and don't regret the color everytime I walk in the kitchen.

How can I make these look lighter? I have Costa Esmerelda planned...med tone lots of grey, black, cream and green. Should I go with a matte black to get more contrast? I originally wanted soapstone, but was scared that my son would ding them up with his trucks. They come on Monday to template.

Here is the granite and pictures of the cabs.The table is from the patio, just to see if the size works and the chairs won't be staying. Was thinking of black or brown table, chairs or stools. Wood floors are going medium dark and new window treatments. Was thinking of woven woods.
    I am a green and blue person. Love celedon, olives and silver sage types of colors. I'm not a red gal.

From Drop Box

From December 2008
    From December 2008
    From December 2008
    From December 2008

this one is without the lights on

From December 2008

From December 2008

Help!

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Wow, I don't think they look bad at all! And that is coming from someone who is going with white white cabinets. Yours DO NOT look too creamy. I definitely think the problem is the primer, the white fridge, the white stove! I know the feeling you have, though. I have had it MANY times!!!

Your CE is neat too.I am getting that stone. Mine looks much greener, but I think yours looks great. I think the paint swatches you are showing look good. I think white white cabinets wouldn't go with the palette you like.

I'll be anxious to see what others say, but I think you are headed in the right direction. Hang in there!

• josie724
    15 years ago

Hi Positano,

I don't think they look yellow at all. You still have a ways to go, to get the final picture. Once you have hardware on, and your appliances are installed and the recessed lights are actually recessed you'll feel much different. I think they are just the right shade of cream, if you ask me. It will all come together, just wait and see. The element that seems to really pull everything together is the backsplash.

• budge1
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh, those are sooooo beautiful!

Yes, it is definitely that they are next to the white appliances and primer.

I am a white kitchen person and I would take that one any day.

I was just looking thru photos of soofriver's beautiful home last night looking for inspiration for my own rooms. I think yours is going to be just as insprirational.

What splash and paint are you thinking of?

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Those look beautiful! I agree with others, it's just the white appliances that's making them seem "off". Once you've got the stainless steel in there... oh, it's going to be absolutely lovely. Can't wait to see it all come together!

• budge1
    15 years ago

Just noticed the bowl on the island with the robin's egg blue interior and thinking how lovely your white would look with that colour as accents :-)

• trixieinthegarden
    15 years ago

I think your cabinet color is beautiful, soft and warm. It will be perfect with sage green, creamy yellow, browns...don't worry! I think it will help if you put together a sample board with proportionate pieces of cabinet wood, granite and other elements in the room. Right now, all you have are the cabinets and the primer and it is disproportionate when you look at all the exposed white against nothing but your cabinets, so it is throwing you off.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I don't have creamy cabinets - just the opposite - very dark. But I just wanted to say when I first got my cabinets I thought - oh my gawd - they're so dark and enormous (taller than old ones) - what have I done!! My galley kitchen felt like a cave. In a matter of 2-3 days I was over the shock and have been loving my new kitchen every day for the last almost four years. In the time I've been reading here since then I've seen lots of people initially think something wasn't right. I always think - give it a while - it will probably be just fine. I think we have a vision of things in our mind and sometimes reality isn't quite the same and it just takes a little while to adjust to the new picture.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Those cainbets look great and agree you need to wait until you get your new appliances, granite and paint on the wall before making any decisions. I went with BM mayonaise for the trim throughout the house and insisted on the ceiling paint being tinted the same (DH would have gone w/ flat white ceiling paint throughout). I just recently decided on doing the few cabinets I will have in the same color after reviewing some of my inspiration kitchen pics and looking at some of the wonderful creamy white kitchens on here (I was torn in two different directions) and deciding the white farmhouse sink and chambers stove would look okay with it. Also, love your granite choice!

• gglks
    15 years ago

IT LOOKS GREAT!!!!! don't panic, this is sooooooooo normal. of course, i am going to tell you to stick with the ce. your gut is usually right!!!! can't wait to see more pics.....have you picked paint, lighting, backsplash, etc????? would love to see your choices!!!!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Oh wow -- what a gorgeous shade of cream! I also absolutely agree with budge1 that your robin's egg blue / green shades look divine with your cabinets (in the fourth photo of your kitchen, not inc. the inspiration / CE pic) -- I am excited about your color choices. I really am.

Also I really do know what you mean about wondering if you made the right choice, though. My kitchen is lots o' white -- pure white cabinets, white marble countertop / backsplash -- no color in site. (Well now of course there's color because we have junk all over, but none of the color comes from our kitchen itself.) Anyway, we chose white for a v. specific reason, so every time I see a gorgeous creamy kitchen (like yours!) I have to remind myself why I didn't choose cream, and am resigned to living vicariously through others with their creamy kitchens.

My point is (as others have already astutely mentioned): it is only natural to see the grass as greener or the cabinet color better on the other side!

But I have to say, I really love where you're going in your kitchen ... that granite with those cabs and your accent color(s) are going to be something special.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

It's the appliances and the primer that are throwing you. The cabs are great, the granite is going to look really good with them and your new appliances. Hang in there. You're going to love the finished product. And I agree, if you went whiter, you would have to change your whole palette.

• fondantfancy
    15 years ago

Don't even think for a moment about changing that granite, it is going to look fabulous. I love the wall colour in the inspirational photo.

Of course now I am starting to regret not going for cream!!

• astridh
    15 years ago

I agree completely with pluckymama. Your color will look perfect once it is not next to the stark white refrigerator and primer. A "cooler" white might have looked chilly. Your granite is beautiful. I think you'll love the cabinet color once you have all of your elements in place. I bet you'll be thinking "I can't believe I was so worried about this!"

• gwent
    15 years ago

Busted!!! It's the white refrigerator that is the culprit here and is what is throwing you off.
    So if it's not staying- you can relax and feel confident because from your photos you have a wonderful sense of color. Sooo nice...

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys are the best!! This is just what I needed, you made me see that the finished product will be wonderful and I'm not far off from my vision. I feel 100 times better, and so excited to get it done. I was actually productive today and not just staring at the cabinets regretting my decisions.

The rest of my house has a lot of the same colors, so I think it will work well.I'm a big fan of robin's egg blue too and have a number of display things for my hutch.

Keep you posted.....and I must give you all a big thank you!! The support on this forum is amazing.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

positano...I love the creamy color you chose and it will look gorgeous
    with the Costa Esmeralda. My biscuit sink is creamy and it is amazing
    next to the CE. No worries, once the white is gone you will be thrilled!
    vic

• blondelle
    15 years ago

You chose a beautiful shade of white for your cabinets. They really are lovely. Color doesn't exist in a vacuum and colors are strongly influenced by what's next to them. Here's the exact same shade of cream next to your blue white walls and next to a sage green. See how much whiter they look. It will be beautiful with the stainless. You don't have to wait until it's all to know that you will have a gorgeous kitchen.

I love the cream with green. If you're daring maybe even a soft gray green glass subway tile splash or a calacatta marble subway tile with some cream in it.

You did good. Don't worry ;-)!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

They are perfect, but then again they look like mine. LOL

• redroze
    15 years ago

Positano, those creamy cabinets are delectable! They look like the perfect shade of cream, not too yellow, just wonderful. I love them. Wait until each element comes in...I have a feeling you are going to be just delighted when everything's in.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

I love the color! Your kitchen is going to be amazing!

Just. Breathe. ;^)

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Blondelle...that is awesome. I can't thank you enough for helping me to get over the primer white!! I'm waiting to paint till after the granite goes in, not sure how green it will read once installed.

We put the wine fridge in yesterday and the stainless really helps! Range and french door fridge tomorrow....very excited!!

Vic and gglks....I'm joining the Costa crew soon!! Template today. Vic yours is beautiful....I really love it. I meant to post on your thread and got sidetracked.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

I feel like crying! I love cream cabinets, but when we bought the new house, I thought that I'd be bringing my much unloved black appliances. So we chose a dark thermafoil cabinet, hoping it would hide the fridge. Then, the appliances were sold with the old house, to be replaced with stainless. Arrrrgh!

I think that cream cabinets are classic, timeless and just plain old beautiful. (and no, they don't look yellow to me)

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, new appliances went in yesterday and they look beautiful. I'm totally over the creamy thing. Starting to see the vision. Granite tomorrow!

• gglks
    15 years ago

looking forward to some updated pics!!!!!!!