Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleyb83_gw

Mid-project reveal

AshleyB83
9 years ago

I'm a long time lurker who's found searching the old threads an invaluable resource when doing this kitchen renovation. Thank you!

We started our kitchen in September, shortly after we closed on our new house. The house was built in 1862, so we went very traditional. The kitchen is in a c. 1890s addition. The previous owners gutted the butlers pantry and made a small galley kitchen and made the large kitchen a big eat in area in the 1970s. We flipped it back.

Floors are prefinished red tigerwood. I wanted to refinish the original maple but they had been previously sanded and then abandoned so we were afraid of what we'd find after we spent hours pulling up particle board.

Cabinets are Candelight, Chesapeake style in snowflake white.

Counters are honed Statuarietto marble with a 1/16" or 1/8" (can't remember which) ease on the edge and a 1/2" corner.

Bin pills are eastlake reproductions in unlaquered brass. Knobs are glass and unlaquered brass from historichouseparts.com.

Light fixtures (still waiting for my husband to hang the one over the sink) are unlaquered brass from rejuvenation.com.

Blanco sink from Amazon and Kingston brass bridge faucet from overstock.

I'm on an iPhone so I'll have to post pictures one at a time (sorry!).

Here's our before of the 70s galley.

Comments (23)

• AshleyB83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Backsplash options

• AshleyB83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still waiting for moulding and crown and one upper cabinet that sits on the counter.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

turned

• AshleyB83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sink area. Obviously still waiting on a window and warmer temps to install it :).

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

So much brighter than your old kitchen!

Are the floors the same? I love them - they look so much better against the white that I'm thinking they must be new.

• AshleyB83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes they are :). The previous owners put in laminate a few years ago when they ripped the carpet out. Yep, carpet! We carefully pulled it up because my mom wants it, so my husband is going to install it at her house when our kitchen is done.

I would have loved to refinish the original floors but we were on a time crunch and they were probably badly damaged as the parts we investigated were sanded but not finished, and some were rotted from a leaking fridge. We love the new floors. I was skeptical about the tigerwood being too light, but I think it works. Thank you!

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Love your marble - that's what I have too! Still my favorite thing in the house. Everything you have done is very beautiful!

• amck2
    9 years ago

If houses could talk yours would say, "Thank You!" Your choices fit it so well. Lovely!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Looks great! Is the hardware brushed brass?

You've also done an impressive job making the refrigerator hang sideways :p

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Love the changes. Sooo much brighter. Your marble is absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing even if at mid-reno. That gives me some ideas.

• bcafe
    9 years ago

We have tigerwood too and I love it. It will darken with time.

• emma
    9 years ago

I especially like the counter top, nice choice.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Love the brass hardware & faucet with the Statuario! Beautiful!

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

That is one seriously beautiful kitchen! I love the brass hardware, gorgeous cabinets, and interesting wood floor. Thanks for the preview.

• elleninmaine
    9 years ago

very, very beautiful kitchen!!

please identify the manufacturer of your stove.

is that the vent "thingie" at the back of the burners?

thanks much.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I'm so in love w/ your marble. Complete gorgeousness! I bought the same faucet from overstock, but I sent mine to a metal finisher that is stripping it down to the original brass to give it a living finish. Yours looks so good tho, I hope I'm not going to regret doing that! I can't wait to see this finished! Thanks for sharing.

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

Beautiful!! You'll be so happy in your new digs!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It looks great! I can't wait to see it when it's all done!

• Liz
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!

• AshleyB83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone! I love it but it still doesn't feel real!

Elleninmaine - it's a Kenmore from Sears. It was the only double oven that we could find locally. It's been a great and less expensive alternative to the cook top/double wall oven option we were initially exploring. I don't think it is a vent. It might be and I just haven't explored it yet. We have a microwave with vent to be mounted over.

Bicyclegirl - you'll have to let me know how if goes! I was so torn. The rest of our hardware (bin pulls, knobs and light fixtures) are unlaquered brass so they will age and darken). The husband couldn't be convinced to splurge on an unlaquered brass faucet after we went way over budget on countertops. I told him that at some point when everything else darkens that we may have to buy an antique brass faucet. Or maybe send it out to be stripped if it works well for you!

Schicksal, they're unlaquered polished brass.

Carrieb - I'm sorry, I think I misread or mistyped. The floors are not the same! There was laminate down when we bought it, we put down tigerwood.

Deb52899 - thank you! I have looked at your counters many times to reassure myself after I made my counter decision when I started to second guess myself.

• Elisabeth0326
    9 years ago

Beautiful job so far! I look forward to the final photos!

It must be so exciting (and weird!!) to have a new kitchen! I'm about 20% finished with my kitchen remodel, and even the new appliances and painted cabinets (surrounded by old everything else) has me all types of excited!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Ashley,
    I saw a beautiful Kallista copper faucet that had a live finish, on ebay about a month ago, that had the most beautiful patina. It was a good price, $720....especially since a brand new one cost $2400! Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough to buy it, so someone else was lucky to get it. After that, I was on a mission to find a faucet w/ a live finish that I could afford. I ran across a blog where the blogger had her kitchen faucet unlacquered. It looked great! I think I have the blog saved, so I'll look it up later & post here so you can see what she did. Then I'll tell you what I'm doing to achieve the same finish....hopefully! Need to get off to work right now, so will get back a little later. I think you'll be happy & much cheaper than a $2400 Kallista faucet w/ a living finish!!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Ok Ashley, I looked up the blog where the girl unlacquered her brass faucet. In this blog she shows about 4 pictures, a couple pretty close up so you can see how it looks. I think it's over a year + after the unlacquering. You can go back to Dec 2011 when she had the faucet done & she shows it w/in just a few weeks & again in January 2012 she talks about it. I think it's January that she tells who she sent it to to have them do it. If you cant find it, let me know because I saved it somewhere! I believe it's the same faucet you & I bought from overstock. Looks the same, anyway. Here's a link to her page:
    http://lanemcnab.com/kitchen-updates/

I should have mine back from the metal guy in a couple of weeks. I'll come back to show you what how it turned out. If I forget, email me from here & I'll get back to you.

Good luck w/ finishing this beauty of a kitchen! Great job so far.