Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vwhippiechick

To Tapmaster or Not to Tapmaster

vwhippiechick
16 years ago

Wondering if the Tapmaster is worth the money? It would be easier for us to install now rather than later so would like to make a decision soon. Does it work well? What temp is the water when it is activated? What does the toekick pedal look like? It is unattractive or obtrusive? Thanks for the help!!

Comments (20)

• kitchenchaos
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good questions. From reading all the good reviews here I have also added them to my wish list. I hope more owners of Tapmaster respond. I believe I read you set the temperature as you would normally with the faucet handle. Also I am interested if there are any negative reviews out there???

• sail_away
    16 years ago

I have questions, too. Do you have to keep the pedal pushed in to keep the water flowing? Or, if you tap it, does it keep flowing for a certain amount of time before it shuts off. If so, how long does the water continue to flow after you tap it once? Thanks.

• plllog
    16 years ago

As I understand it you set the temperature and leave the valves open. That's why I knew it would make me nuts at my main sink where I'm constantly adjusting the temperature, but I'm thinking it'll be great at the island sink. During prep and baking I often do the elbow thing with the water, but am less interested in changing the temperature.

Also as I understand it, you can turn the tapmaster "off" by setting it to open and using the faucet valves.

Is that right?

• sail_away
    16 years ago

Gellchom,

Very, very informative. Thanks. If I wasn't sold before, I am now. Also happy to know that they can be added later, as I'm planning an upgrade for our current kitchen and, in about five years (when we're ready to downsize), will probably be either building a new home or totally remodeling a kitchen. The nice thing is I can try out a lot of things on this kitchen and have a better idea of what I do or do not want in the next one.

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

any website for Tapmaster so I can do some research into the things? We are boaters and the idea of a foot operated sink is intuitive!

TIA,

Nica

• Buehl
    16 years ago

This is the model most people choose...

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

thanks, buehl. Does anyone install these after the fact, or is installation pretty much limited to when you put in the cabinets?

Sorry to hijack the thread . . . hope this info helps someone else.

Nica

• plllog
    16 years ago

Gellchom,

Thanks for the response! Come to think of it, this would be a boon for my interim faucet which requires being put back to neutral to close the valve :) But, yeah, I've always adjusted the temperature and flow a lot. Partly that's to save water. When a trickle will do I set it to trickle. And I do lots of switching between hot, warm and cold.

But from what you've said, it's worth planning on tapmasters for both sinks. :) I'm glad they sent you a gift. I've never heard of it anywhere else :) So thank you!!!!

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gellchom - Thanks for such an informative response.

• oldhometara
    16 years ago

Gellchom, thanks for the summary, it is really helpful.

I have one more related question I'm hoping you or someone else can answer - what about the model that's operated by pressing on the cabinet door with yoyr knee?

Does anyone on this site own one of those? And if so, how is it?

I posted this question last time someone asked about tapmasters, but I didn't get much of a response (maybe I need to post it as a new separate thread).

B/c of the way my sink cab is set up with an open toe valance, the hidden activation behind the door would work much better for me. So many GW members here buy a tapmaster, but no one seems to buy the cabinet door model. Why not?

Many thanks -
    Tara

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Gellchom convinced me over 5 years ago to buy a Tapmaster. She's been on my "A" list ever since :) At the time, water conservation wasn't a priority to me. I read that it did conserve water and later when I installed mine, could see that it did but I was much more impressed with the wonderful convenience of it all, followed by the reduced crossed contamination. Five years later I'm five years older and wiser. I'm more aware our water supply and the need to treat it like the valuable resource it is. Can I see a difference in our water BILL?? No, but I know I'm wasting less. I too was skeptical about my actual need to adjust the water temp and pressure but sure enough, I found that I REALLY don't need to adjust near as often as I thought I did. That is SO not an issue :) In the kitchen, the Tapmaster is like having a third hand. It has become such a "part of me" that I'm not even aware of thinking "I need to turn on the water". It's just on when I need it and off when I don't...like magic. Even tho it takes less than a day to "get it", it was probably a couple months when it dawned on me that operating the Tapmaster had become completely automatic...integrated into my subconscious thought process. Yeah, I tend to go on a bit (g) but thats just how much I love this product. We just put one in our newly remodeled master bath. Have to say, it's not as convenient (to me) in the bathroom as it is in the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, I'm still glad I put one in the bathroom but I find that I have to adjust the water more in there than in the kitchen. It's only been installed a couple of weeks. I'm finding what works and what doesn't. Today I decided that when I'm washing my face, I'll just set it to "manual" (normal tap operation).

Tara, I think most people are afraid of accidentally bumping the cabinet door and activating the water when they don't intend to. Perhaps they make a cabinet door model for those that just can't use the toekick model?? Their ts/cs is very friendly. Give them a call :)

mommycooks, it doesn't matter. The Tapmaster can be just as easily installed in existing plumbing/cabinets as new construction.

Monica

• cmg01
    16 years ago

We have the Tapmaster model that is both foot pedal and knee-operated. Everything Gellchom and monicakm say has been true for us. You have to exert some pressure on the cabinet door to activate the water; even if you accidentally bump the cabinet and turn on the water, it goes off the instant you move your knee. We get a kick out of guests who do accidentally lean on the cabinet door and are surprised by the water. The next time they come they're showing others how it works! It is the biggest attention-getter in this- the kitchen of my dreams, which has a lot of wonderful things in it.

But we renovated the kitchen for our family, not for guests, and the Tapmaster is so handy; I can't imagine my kitchen without my Tapmaster!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

oldhometara, there are several different Tapmaster®. They even have one that's a pad you put on the floor...perhaps you could put it under your sink sticking out into what would be the toe kick area...from the site:

The model 1760 is used with wall-mounted sinks, pedestal sinks, and in various food service applications. The foot pedal can be mounted on the kick plate of a cabinet, mounted flush to a wall or sit flat on the floor. Water flow is turned on and off by pressing your foot against the foot pedal or by stepping down onto it depending on the application.

Anyway, I've linked the list of foot pedal activated, but there are others as well. Click the "Products" link and you'll see the different types.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Ouch...I just noticed that their prices have gone up again! The last time I looked Model 1750 was $329...it's now $345.

• plllog
    16 years ago

So, which activation is best for bare feet?

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There is an Ebay store selling them for $250. I asked several questions of the seller. He says they are new. This is the model that you can use either the knee/cabinet activation or the toekick panel. They are listed for $450 on the tapmaster website. I ordered one but feel very anxious about it now. I tried to ask all the right questions. It is returnable with a restocking fee. What do you think?

• atsmith
    16 years ago

I don't have any new info to add except that I LOVE our tapmaster and am so glad we went for it. DH could take it or leave it, but he doesn't cook, and I know without it he would waste a lot more water when doing dishes so this way I don't have to stay on him about that. For some reason he still cannot get it off the locked position very easily, though everyone else in the world can. Learned helplessness, I say.

As for the bare feet question - I have the foot pedal model, and I have no problem operating it with bare feet, though sometimes it is harder to get it out of lock than if I had shoes on. And really chunky-toed shoes might have a problem getting it INTO the lock position, if the space between the top of the pedal and the bottom of the cabinet door (we have full overlay cabs) isn't too large. But most normal shoes have no problem with this.

That's my 2 cents - I wouldn't trade mine for the world and wish every sink had them!

• oldhometara
    16 years ago

Thanks very much for the info, esp re: the cabinet door/knee activated model. Anyone care to post a picture of their installed tapmaster? I checked the FKB but only saw a closeup of one tapmaster.

• HU-128534212
    27 days ago

FWIW, we've had a Tapmaster since 2011 at our kitchen sink and loved it. My mom got one on hers and regretted only getting the foot option (no knee functionality). We had to do a sink reno and now have to buy a new one, and I'm not batting an eye about doing it. The last few days without have been painful! It's great, and you adapt VERY quickly -- so much that in rental homes, you may find yourself trying to start their kitchen sinks with your feet and knees.