Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's above your pullout trash?

Posted by Gigibozo (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 7:17

If you have a drawer above your pullout trash/recycling cabinet, what do you keep in it?

Thanks for sharing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's above your pullout trash?

I have a double trash pullout. I store garbage bags, scissors, screwdrivers, tape measure, refillable lighter thing, flashlight. It is sort of my tool drawer.

o

My trash pullout is to the left of my sink. In the drawer above it I store all my dish towels and pot holders.

o

You might think this gross, but above my trash pullout is the spice drawer. That cab is in a prime location in my kitchen, so the most-used stuff had to go in it.

o

Why would that be gross? The pullout closes, after all. And why any more gross than putting those same things in a drawer next to the trash? Not gross at all, IMO:-)

o

Storing food items above the trash gave me pause, but then I went through the same thought process you described, nyc, and decided I was being silly... :)

o

Hi, I have my wash cloths, drying mat, and dishwasher detergent (packets), in that drawer, as it's right between my sink and dishwasher.

o

My drawer above the pullout is also my favorite drawer, the spice drawer. It is right next to my cooktop so the placement was perfect. I have no issues with it at all.

o

Hot pads and my apron.

o

My junk drawer is above my trash pullout.

o

Silverware. It's the most conveniently placed drawer for it. Never thought about it being near trash as a problem.

o

Dish towels, new sponges, and microfiber cloths for cleaning the SS. I relocated my junk out of the kitchen!

o

Junk drawer---extra keys, pens, tape, etc..above that on the counter is my drying rack..to the left of the sink. It's in a corner of the kitchen not conducive to "everyday" items. The cabinet above has items not used every day either.

o

We have silverware as well. There is a solid piece of wood between the trash/recycle and the drawer above.

o

Another vote for silverware.
There's a solid piece of wood between the silverware and garbage. It's called a "drawer bottom" + the silverware caddy wood.

Mine's right next to the sink, so it's the most convenient.

o

K-cups and coffee doo-dads.

o

Prep sink cabinet has 3 lower pullouts: 2 recycling, 1 trash.

Above the right most pullouts are tilt down trays:

Above the left most is a 12" shallow drawer and behind it my inset composter.

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 17:37

o

My recycle pullout is on the island. My cabinet maker did not want to cut through any cabinetry for an outlet so he "hid" one behind a tilt-out drawer above the recycle pullout. It's a perfect hiding place and right next to where I keep my appliances.
I think a drawer for garbage bags and misc. items would work well too.

o

Instead of a drawer, I have a paper towel cubby above the trash pullout, since it's right next to the sink. This is what it looked like before the counter went on.

paper towel cubby photo P4100259.jpg

o

Oh, you'd be surprised how many people here think storing anything food related above the trash pullout is disgusting. I've seen this discussion before. :)

I store baggies, plastic wrap, wax paper, washed/reusable plastic produce bags, and my compost bucket liners. Such a handy drawer and just the right size for all those small items so they don't get lost in a big drawer. It makes cleanup and prep so much easier.

o

A drawer with a zillion dish towels. Use them for everything.

o

It's next to the prep zone and the perfect width for the in-drawer knife block we already owned, so that's what's in there, my knives.

o

A pull-out cutting board with a little hole in the back so when you are done cutting, you can just sweep whatever you do not want down into the trash:

o

I have my foil, plastic wrap, baggies - the often-used things, and a hot mitt.

o

I posted a very similar question last month:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1209010111186.html

I thought about installing an extra tall toe-kick drawer underneath, thereby raising the whole trash pull-out up and eliminating the need for a drawer on top at all, but instead settled on an interior drawer for paper recycling as shown in the picture. (Sorry, I forgot who this belongs to but it is in the thread I indicated).

o

Also, here is what I meant by an extra deep toekick drawer underneath. Again, sorry I don't recall who this belongs to but it is an awesome idea.

o

Olivertwist--those cabs with the toekick belong to Loves2cook4six.

Here is a link that might be useful: Loves2cook4six's kitchen

This post was edited by breezygirl on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 0:14

o

I have moved into the kitchen yet but my plan is for dish towels and if there is still room to store some unused sponges. My trash pull out is directly to the left of my sink.

o

What is the size of your cab that houses pull out waste? And does it accommodate one or two waste containers?

o

So far, mine is planned to be 24". It's wider than it needs to be, but its to the left of the sink and then there's a corner cabinet. It would have two containers and an area to keep the trash bags,etc.

I'm just trying to decide what to put above it. It is the best spot for silverware. Just trying to assess if people think that is gross (for most doesn't seem to be the case). If I decide against that, I think I will put my dish towels, drying mat there.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

o

I have knives in the drawer above my trash pullout. The pullout is to the left of my sink. The rest of my flatware/ cutlery is in the adjacent drawer to the left of this.

o

My trash pullout is 24" I believe. Can't get in there to measure right now as floors were finished this week and still have to stay off of them. There are two smaller trash cans stacked front to back. I will use front for trash and back for non-paper recycling ( cans,bottles,plastics). I have space next to the cans where they made a shelf so I can store extra trash bags and maybe some paper towels. Although on second thought maybe not the paper towels since that might be gross. Maybe the Lysol will go there to spray in can after I remove the trash.

o

Dishtowels are over my trash. But my cabinet builder was thinking one step ahead of me and made the cabinet that holds the trash pull out a separate box from the drawer above.

I never would have thought of that. Yes, I think he's a genius!

o

ayerg73, you must have my kitchen! Completely enclosed trash box with drawer for towels above. Only 12" on the interior so small trash bag doesn't linger too long. One small trash bin in front with another one for recycling behind.

o

I am putting my outlets (required by code) above my trash pullout. Looking into sillites for this.

o

What wonderful ideas! I only have two small cabinets that I can install a pullout trash unless I put it under the sink. Right now I use one drawer for silverware and the other for odds and ends but maybe I will use some of these ideas for my renovation. Thank you!

o

Our dbl trash pullout is in the island in prime prep area. We store our knives in the drawer above it.

o

This is what we ended up doing.
In front is trash, in back is plastic/glass/metal recycling, and on top is paper recycling.

o

We have the large trash containers in our 18" cabinet. In the specs, it said that a drawer couldn't be placed over it, and that's true - it would have been too tall. But, we do have left over space and I'm going to ask our cabinet maker for a shelf to put in there so I have a place to store paper bags (we use for inside the recycle bin) and garbage bags.

o

Guess I'm one of those weird people that doesn't like trash near their cooking goods...probably too much time working in bacterial infections lol.

My trash pull-out is extra tall, so there's no room for a drawer above it. The trash bins (one garbage, one recycling) have lids as well. It's flanked by a wall on one side, and the kitchen sink on the other (which holds all my chemicals and cleaning solutions, so I like to think it's a bit of a bacteria barrier...then it's the dishwasher, so it's a clean zone for everything past that.

...yeah, I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe apparently.

o

I am with you there, Awnmyown. We plan on doing a tall cabinet for the trash/recycle cans. No drawer above it. I had second thoughts after reading all these comments, and asked my cabinet maker about it - he said they never do a drawer above it, because of odor issues and to allow for a taller trash can.

o

I have my papertowel cubby above my trash pullout. I have a 18" tall trashcan drawer and a 8" cubby for the papertowels. It's fully built in, so no odors most likely coming through the cabinet wall. My trash and recycling seem to get so full so quickly that I rarely deal with odor issues--I have to empty them every day. Also, much of my food scraps go to my chickens, so I don't throw away a huge amount of "raw" food. Obviously the only thing that I would never give them is raw meat scraps and food that has been cooked (salted, etc.), and that seems just gross to leave in a trash can, so I empty that right after dinner.

o

Does having a drawer over the trash pull-out interfere with sweeping trash from the counter into the trash can? I'm wondering if the drawer face or handle gets dirty if its between the counter and the trash.

I'm considering having a pull-out that holds two cans, with the outer can for trash and the inner one for compost, so we can sweep stuff from the counter directly into the cans.

o

I would never keep food scraps in that bin, but I imagine that unless your countertop edge protrudes at least as far as the handle on the drawer above the trash bins, it would have to interfere.

o

I'm so thankful for this thread! I hadn't seen prior ones. I'd waffled about what was and wasn't problematic to put there. It's in a prime location between my sink and fridge.

I'd been planning on no drawer above to accommodate a taller can, but switched to one with a drawer above and 2 smaller cans in my 18" cabinet. I think it'll either be for foil/wrap and/or ziplocs etc. or for knives. It's in a spot where we currently have an old-fashioned (or so I've learned) pull out cutting board. So it's where I'm used to prepping. I just can't figure where I'll end up prepping in new kitchen. So that will determine where the knives end up.

o

I just finished my kitchen and haven't quite got everything in place yet. I do have an 18" wide pullout with both an external drawer and an internal drawer. It contains a trash can and a covered compost bucket. I could have put two big trash cans in there. The internal drawer has dishwasher soap and garbage bags in there so far, and the external drawer has my cutlery. It is across from the kitchen sink but on my longest cabinet run.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here