Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_343451

Do you have soapstone AND forgetful children?

User
14 years ago

Here is my new thing I came up with to help my son remember what he needs to do before school...I write his list right on the counter where he eats breakfast so he can't miss it.

Comments (24)

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Creative use of soapstone. In my house, that list would be for me. Ha

• jannie
    14 years ago

Cool!

• rjr220
    14 years ago

I'm stealing that idea, too.

What type of soapstone is that?

• megradek
    14 years ago

LOL! I opened this thread thinking it was going to be some sort of accident/mishap that your child caused.

what a great idea to attract a child's attention to the daily list - that's always the first battle to helping memory (I'm a psychologist that works with kids and learning difficulties, so I know all too well!).

• deegw
    14 years ago

It's adorable but I'm afraid in my house it would be an open invitation for anyone to write anything on the counters! I could see "Dad made this mess" with a big arrow. Or, "Kat didn't finish the dishes", etc. I already can't stop my kids from adding to my paper notes on the kitchen counters. I often see "pony" on my shopping list.

• prill
    14 years ago

What a great idea - who would have thought! I guess you did.

• natashak
    14 years ago

That is brilliant! I'm totally using it for my kids too!

• rjr220
    14 years ago

I have another idea: at my buffet's I usually have a card/holder with the name of the dish on it -- with the soapstone I could just write what it is next to it on the counter!

• drybean
    14 years ago

Love it!!

• gillylily
    14 years ago

So creative, I don't know much about soapstone (it was a bit above my budget so I never even looked into it), but i never knew you could use chalk on it! I may need to figure out a similar way with my granite.. hmmm....

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone.

I came up with this idea this week as I was trying to figure out where I could post a chalkboard for my son since I have neither a chalkboard nor an empty wall. He wants to get a bearded dragon and I won't let him until he demonstrates that he is more responsible. I am hoping the list will help keep him on track.

I love the idea of doing this at parties too; what a great idea! Also, kids could use it for games...hangman, tic tac toe etc while dinner cooks too. Or how about a honey-do list? This could get useful.

rjr220: I have Santa Rita soapstone. It is not the best choice of stone since it has black leopard spots on it when it fades. I wish I could let it fade a little. It is also very soft as you can see by the scratches all over.( I haven't oiled in months and months. When I oil, all those scratches disappear and it turns dark black again.) I loved my Santa Rita soapstone until I saw my mom's Black Venata. Now I have soapstone envy all over again. Santa Rita is quarried out anyhow according to Bucks County Soapstone. They have some left for me to get a backsplash piece made but not whole slabs.

Enjoy the day!

• amberley
    14 years ago

cleo I am so stealing this idea! I have my slabs bought- I got Python- and we are starting demo in less than 2 weeks!

I have one VERY forgetful 7-year old, and he will think that this is SO cool. Plus, my chalkboard wall will be right next to the peninsula counter. And this is why I am getting ss- because it is indestructible!

Always love seeing your kitchen! How is your window search going?

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi amberley! I can't wait to see your kitchen. Did you decide on a cabinet paint color yet? I liked your soapstone too. Are you using your Ballard stools?

As far as windows...I need full frame replacements like you since my sills and exterior trim boards are rotten so I am saving now for the 15 windows (I am assuming around $1000 per window?) Hopefully this spring. Keep in touch. I'm sure I'll see you on here a lot soon.

• donka
    14 years ago

Love this idea!! I have an aversion to touching chalk, but maybe if I can find one of those chalk holder thingies...

Very clever!

• lucypwd
    14 years ago

This is the greatest idea! I love it! Really one of the best "out of the box" ideas I've seen on the list for a while. Your soapstone is beautiful too.

• mythreesonsnc
    14 years ago

Now I REALLY want soapstone! What a clever idea....

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Cute!!!!!

• florida_joshua
    14 years ago

I'm so doing this in my showroom. . . . good stuff!

• amberley
    14 years ago

cleo-

I am actually using a different set of Ballard stools! I gave my red ones (like yours) to my mom. She had never gotten around to ordering them, and we took them over last spring just to see how they looked, and they were perfect! They don't sell them anymore (in red), and I realized that I had room for 3 since I changed to a peninsula, so she kept them. I ordered the Marlow counter stools in the cream color with the camel leather seats. They are fabulous! They are just like ones that I had seen in one of my favorite inspiration pics.

I am SO glad that we went with the full-tear-outs! My new, beefier, interior trim is night and day from what we had. And I love my windows. I am still painting them, as we got the simulated divided lites-on both sides of the glass. ALOT of work. Most people in the neighborhood think that they are original windows.

We are demoing soon, so I will be posting oodles of pics shortly!

• annesv
    14 years ago

Adorable! And quite impressive that he practices piano before school!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

When I start losing my memory I can leave myself notes. You are Casey, Your phone number is xxx, etc.
    LOL
    Thanks
    Casey

• sweeby
    14 years ago

What a great idea!
    I'm definitely stealing it --

• timber.j
    14 years ago

I love it!
    My 15 year old son often cooks supper (he loves to cook), but I don't usually have a recipe written down for him to follow. This would work well for me to jot the the amounts of spices, etc. for him. Or for reminding the kid who is on dishes of all the steps needed to clean the kitchen (no more "but you didn't say I had to wipe the counters!!!").

I wonder how liquid chalk would work?

• autumngal
    14 years ago

I love this, how fun!