Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Black Leather Granite - Brazilian?

rubyclaire
10 years ago

In my search for Absolute Black Leather granite, one of the stone yards I had visited in the past sent me the attached photo of some new slabs of black leather granite called Brazilian Black. I have not seen these in person but they sure look a bit like soapstone to my untrained eye. Has anyone here ever heard of this granite? My fabricator is willing to have this shipped to them (stone yard with this material is about an hour or so away) but I wonder if I should make a trip and pick out a slab in person (and confirm I like it in person). I wouldn't have felt the need to do this if I was going with AB.

Anyway...anyone heard of this or know anything about it? From the photo, I think it could be a winner but I think I would want to choose the individual slab. What do you think??

Comments (16)

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about it but I love it!!! If you have it shipped are you obligated to buy it or can you look at it first when it arrives?

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I won't technically be obligated but I may feel that way - I would like to avoid that if possible. The stone yard is going to send me some additional photos so that might help.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I had wanted soapstone in my previous kitchen, but my husband wasn't keen on "patina". We ended up using something called Nordic Black Antique on the island - it looked a lot like the Brazilian Black, and we loved it. It felt good just to touch it, and it looked great.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great to hear hockeyfan! I have also considered marble and soapstone and my husband is leery of the associated "issues" with those materials for him. That's why I turned to AB but this look is very, very appealing to me.

• daniellejack
    10 years ago

I'm torn between soapstone and granite, too. I need to decide on a material in the next two days and I've been to 20 yards. Will you please tell me the name of the yard that gave you that Brazilian Black pic? THANK YOU

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I love that stone. Don't you just want to rub your hands on it????

You can only say those things here on the KF, LOL.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

danielle - I purchased this stone and it is waiting for install. It is actually called Milky Way or Via Lactea. Not sure why they called it Brazillian Black - perhaps they were trying to be descriptive of the difference between this stone and the Absolute Black from India that I thought I wanted.

I really love it - just enough subtle veining, a nice leathered texture, very dark with a bit of a sheen. Can't wait to see it finished! It was purchased from Mont Krest in the Tampa/St. Pete area. Hope that helps & good luck!

• nmjen
    10 years ago

That is just beautiful! I also want to use Absolute Black leathered granite, but I will definitely keep my eyes out for this, too. Hope you enjoy that lovely stone.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - I will update with photos when we have this installed.
    Good luck your search as well bakerjen!

• crazyamydaisy
    7 years ago

Rubyclaire - I know it is 2 years later, but did you get it installed? would love to see pic.

rubyclaire thanked crazyamydaisy
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Here's a pic of an "Absolute Black" fountain in the Chicago Amtrack station I took last week. You can wash the dye out of the stone with enough water apparently:

• Kristy Seaman
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I know this is an old post but Rubyclaire I would love to see some pictures.

rubyclaire thanked Kristy Seaman
  • Kristy Seaman
    4 years ago

Thank you so much Rubyclaire!! That is Beautiful! I feel this is the countertop we are going to go with. I haven’t seen it in person, but will be going to the granite yard to see the slabs next week.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good luck - would love to hear how you like the slabs you see!

• Thuy Nguyen
    2 years ago

hi, i have seen leather granite in black mist and very pretty . it is very similar to the photo above. hope that helps