Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_in_nc

Shopping for soapstone at M Teixeira

mary_in_nc
16 years ago

I am going to M Tex on Tuesday to find the soapstone slab of my dreams. I have been living with some samples for the last couple of months and so have a general idea of what I am looking for. I am afraid though of being overwhelmed and missing important details. Any of you stoners have advice for shopping for soapstone? Francy had mentioned bringing mineral oil along as water won't show cracks (sorry, Francy). What was your experience like at M Teixeira? Your input is appreciated! I will pay back by posting pics!!

Comments (9)

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

My experience there was fine; they were helpful and patient. One of the problems (which wasn't a problem per se, but makes it hard to choose) is that the slabs are leaning up against each other, like bread slices. They lean them one way or the other, but it's still hard to see everything when you have only a thin wedge of viewing space. Still, I got the slabs I wanted and I still love the stone. It broke in shipping and my very able GC expoxied it together. I can still see the breaks, but no one else notices them, and, as I say, I got the veining that I wanted.

• sonicstef
    16 years ago

Just went there yesterday (their NJ location) and the owner helped us. He was extremely helpful and patient in explaining the various options. He pulled out several types of slabs for us to look at until we found the one we wanted. (Naturally it was the first one we looked at).

I had the samples too but I don't think they give you a good sense. Even with the same type of soapstone, the individual slabs make a difference.

Also, the size of the slab makes a difference too. I went there thinking I was going to get the Mumbai Gray but left with a piece of Black Venata held for us. I still love the Mumbai Gray but becaues of the slab size, it made more sense to get something that came in larger pieces.

Its all really beautiful so good luck.

• Jean Popowitz
    16 years ago

We were there (NJ) yesterday as well! It was apparent that other folks have caught on to the fact that water doesn't work as well as oil because many other slabs had oil patches. If I had wanted to finalize an order, I would have wanted a strong flashlight to go over the slab to check for cracks... it was just a tiny bit dim in there. Everyone was very patient, knowledgeable and friendly. Have fun!

Judy

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

vjrnts, I hate to hear of your stone breaking during shipping. I would assume shipping insurance is available? It is such a big investment.

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

I was at the San Francisco location for about 2 hours (didn't seem like that long). I would nicely and politely ask to view slabs in their entirety. I would never buy a slab that they wouldn't move for me (the SF folks moved them out for me to view). And once I narrowed it down, I would oil the entire slab. Of course, I didn't do that, but the guy there said that others have asked him to do that (and he does it).

Good luck!

Francy

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So I have packed mineral oil and two rags (DH will be with me) along with a flash light and a copy of my countertop template from my KD. Hopefully between DH and me we will catch any cracks or faults in the slab. I am kind of leaning toward Santa Barbara. I wonder if I need to worry any about it coming from "the bottom of the pile" as it is becoming more rare.

Anymore thoughts from anyone else regarding shopping for soapstone? Thanks so much.

• sjerin
    16 years ago

vjrnts-- I don't quite understand. If your slab broke in transit, wasn't either the supplier or fabricator responsible? It sounds like that is not so, that if this happens you have to just chalk it up to bad luck and hope the repair will work. I think I'd feel very badly to spend so much money and be the not-so-proud owner of a broken slab. Can you elaborate? (Yes, I've read Francy's threads and wish someone would do the right thing by her.)

• florida_joshua
    16 years ago

The only think about the santa barbara is make sure all the pieces match that you will use for your kitchen. The closer to the end the more likely you will be to have unmatched pieces. Don't worry santa barbara is a pretty consistant quarry so you should be ok. You will also notice the unmatched slabs when they are unoiled. The Santa Barbara in the NJ location will only be in smaller rips (I may be wrong). If this works for your kitchen, your in luck because you will also have many more slabs to choose from. Also go with no prior conclusions. Go there and see what you like, I've had so many customers come in saying one thing and leaving with something else they are totally excited about.

Also don't go nuts with the oil. Oil small sections untill your really interested in one type of stone. Meaning narrow down your search before you oil. When you narrow down your choices then ask them to move some slabs for you. Remember the more you move slabs the more likely you are to have an accident or break them. The less we move slabs the more comfortable it makes us. Respect when they say they can't move the slabs. They should give you a reasonable explanation. Most times it's when the slabs are stacked on an A-frame. Most likely the ones under are pretty close if not exactly the same as the one on top.

Also take a pic so you can day dream about your countertops!!!!

• nancy_east
    16 years ago

mary_in_nc,
    I just sent you an email from your profile page (or whatever it's called!) to see if you live in NC (your user name is my hunch). If so, did you visit the M Tex location in Charlotte? I live in Waynesville (about 30 miles west of Asheville) and am trying to arrange an appt. at the Charlotte showroom this weekend. After reading you changed your mind and went with Green Mt. soapstone, I'm curious to know where you found it, so I can compare it to M. Tex's inventory. Any advice is most appreciated and hope you're enjoying your new soapstone!