Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

OMG my Shaws sink has pressure cracks!!

theresse
13 years ago

I canNOT BELIEVE IT! Or maybe the word would be fissures? Like rays of the sun surrounding the drain!! They aren't super deep or dark looking but they're definitely thin, long cracks! It's horrific! :(

When the electrician finally came a little over a week ago, he finally hooked up the Insinkerator disposal. But a day after that I noticed water on the floor and that it was slowly leaking. So my contractor came over and tightened things which he said had come loose. Since then there have been dishes consistently sitting in the bottom of the sink so I haven't noticed anything until just now.

Question:

While I don't know what he did exactly, is it fair to assume he may have done something that resulted in his tightening the flange, which many of us know is a big no-no with the Shaws porcelain sinks??! When he first installed it I told him how important it was that he not over-tighten it...but that was many months ago and he probably forgot.

I want to know if you think he would have had to tighten the flange (or if it was a reasonable step in the process of stopping a leak - I'm too ignorant to know) BEFORE I call him about this because I want to get my ducks in a row.

Which is not to suggest it's his fault or at least - not to suggest he should be held liable for a sink cracking. But I doubt Rohl will stand behind the product at this point! I've had it since Spring.

Even if Rohl were to replace the sink, who the HECK is going to do the labor (I'm sure my contractor is soooo ready to be done here - and after all that work he did!) and for how much money and HOW THE HECK would one remove an under-mounted farm sink from a stainless countertop when said farm sink also happens to be attached to a tightly-hand-scribed and puddied-in cabinet (due to the sink not being able to protrude or stick out "proud" - cause wall-mounted faucet couldn't reach that far) so the sink is almost flush with the counter?!! And besides that there's a huge face frame the covers the length of the entire countertop... I can't even imagine what to do!

I don't have a picture of the cracks yet but will take pics later today or tomorrow. Meanwhile here's what I have of the sink before this happened, to give you an idea of how hard it would be to remove the sink!!

What should I do? What can be done if anything??! Thank you!

Comments (69)

• nc_cowgirl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention that I don't have a garbage disposal nor do I have any leaks!

• sis2two
    13 years ago

Bumping this for Theresse and my sister. Also I want you to know Theresse that I will be praying for your husband. I know personally the power of prayer. Hugs to you!

• nc_cowgirl
    13 years ago

Contacted Rohl and told them my story. A rep. Replied that he was very sorry that I was having this problem and asked me to send him pics. Of my sink. I replied that I would asap, but wasn't sure how well the cracks would show up in photos but were very noticeable in person! He again replied telling me to be sure and use digital camera..and use macro (not sure what that is) and said.."We'll get you fixed..just need to see what we're dealing with!". Well, I am so shocked that I wasn't just blown off! I'm gonna get some pics to him and see how it goes! Will keep you informed!

• igarvin
    13 years ago

macro is a 'flower' setting on most cameras, it helps with close up photographs. Good luck!

• nc_cowgirl
    13 years ago

Thanks igarvin! I found that out a little later that day but of course my digital camera doesn't have that feature..have to borrow one!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi theresse,

Truly sorry you are having such horrific luck. First and
    foremost prayers to your DH. He will get through this and
    you will too. Be good to yourself.

I put a few links about repairs of Shaws sinks. I wish
    there was a specific solution. I wonder if Shaws is unable
    to help you could homeowners insurance cover the cost of
    a new sink. It would be in the best interest as the
    sink may get worse and far more damage could be done.
    Just a thought and it may not work at all.

Hoping this all works out for the best for you.
    ~boxer

GW post Where to get a patch kit for Shaw's farmhouse sink?
    http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0523251426390.html?5

Sink Repair link

http://deabath.com/Hightank/Toiletparts/Toilet_Repair/High_tank_repairs/Porcrepair/porcrepair.html

Gardebweb Post from 07
    Disappointed in my Rohl 3018 Sink -Repair?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg102111312610.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaws sink repair kit

• nc_cowgirl
    13 years ago

Boxerpups..thx so much for posting that info. I so hope that all works out for theresse with her sink issue! I too will be praying for her husband! And Theresse.."Nothing is impossible with God!"

• sayde
    13 years ago

Dana I'm not sure if I'm understanding what happened when you had the granite installed. Are you saying that the granite installer may have caused the cracks because of vibrations to the sink when the faucet holes were drilled in the granite? Can you please clarify.

I'm looking at my sink and terrified of doing something that might harm it.

We did get a rubber gasket -- thanks Brickeye.

• nc_cowgirl
    13 years ago

Sayde..the granite guys did drill faucet holes with granite in place. They were very careful and there seemed to be little vibration but more noise than anything. I know that the sink was perfect and I started seeing fine surface cracks after granite install and sink drain was installed! I don't know what caused the cracks but I am just sick! I wasn't there when the plumber installed the drain. The sink does not leak and I hope it never does, but aesthetically..well...doesn't look too pretty!

• nc_cowgirl
    13 years ago

Okay..gonna try and post a pic of the bottom of sink..part of it anyway..I'm really "stupid" about computer stuff especially picture sending!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone! I just want you to know that I haven't had time yet to read your latest responses but I've been feeling guilty cause I've taken seconds over hte past couple of days to log on and then once again I get pulled away!!! I'm hoping later tonight I can read through these - if not hopefully tomorrow as kids will be gone for the morning at least.

Nothing new to report here other than I paid my contractor a "partial payment" which in the end still may have been too much but it removed some REALLY bad stress that I didn't need. I told him I just didn't have time to go over all the numbers yet and was feeling pressure and since he wasn't 100% done anyway I felt okay about it and I essentially said "too bad" about his accountant being in a hurry. He'll be back from his vacation next Wednesday so sometime after that I'll either hear from him or I never will again! If I hear from him again I would assume it's either cause he thinks he has more money coming to him and/or because he wants to finish the last of the work in hopes to avoid bad reviews. Or - maybe, as I suspect - it's a little of a lot combined and he's just not a one-dimensional, soulless person...it's always possible he knows he's made some mistakes and wants to leave on a mutually positive note. What do I know.

Heck - I just realized I'm going on about the "pressure to pay my contractor" issue which is in another thread! But it's all related. I can't take pics of my sink damage till I get my SD card back tomorrow morning (it had been borrowed by my kids' preschool for an auction project...can't wait to get it back)!!

More soon and thanks so much for your patience and presumably advice/sympathy!! Have still to read!!

xoxo Theresse

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Oh I feel bad for you! I have been following your kitchen all along (have to say, faucet height is looking good) and have read in other people's threads about the over-tightening flange problem...which totally scared me off from getting a disposal on my Porcher London sink. I really hope this gets resolved without too much remodel trauma. Hang in there and know that it is fixable--one way or another--and soon your dream kitchen will be complete! XO

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!

As usual, there's been NO TIME to come pour my heart out on the forum ;) as of late (and most importantly, read it over and answer questions!!) but I DID manage to take the time to take the following pics in order to send them to Rohl. The cracks aren't so dark in person in most instances but I did some light editing (glare, conrast, etc.) in order to make the cracks show up in the pics.

I really look forward to getting on here and back in touch with you guys - I'm so sorry to seem flaky or unappreciative. I truly have no time lately! Hopefully late tonight, if I don't fall asleep! Queen of TMI...

Thanks for looking. Oh and you can feel this with your nails if you gently scratch at them near the drain.

• onedogedie
    13 years ago

Egads!!!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

oh my gosh, my heart goes out to you. I really really hope they can do something to help, or if nothing else the plumbers insurance covers the replacement. I'd be so heartbroken.

I wish you luck!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Hope all is well at home and that they take care of this for you.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

I feel sick for you. I do hope they will take care of fixing this for you.

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

Theresse,

Like you don't already have enough on your mind, enough stress, enough to deal with, and now this!
    I had opened this thread when you first started it but life keeps getting in the way and didn't have time to come back.

Then I see the post towards the top of the list, open it, scroll to bottom and come to your pics.
    Having bad eyesight anyway, I didn't see what you were trying to explain even though your pics are large enough so I put them in my digital program thingy and tweaked and OMG, my heart goes out to you!!!

I know with all that's going on your first priority is not GW but when you get a chance I hope you do come back with updates.

There has GOT to be some recourse for this!
    Notice all the main cracks (which now that I tweaked, I can see they look like crazing on an old piece of ceramic/China) look as though they are directed/curving to the right. Same way something is tightened....to the right.
    Not that it's anything scientific, just what I noticed.
    Positive vibes going out to you!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

The first pictures looked upsetting and now up close and
    personal... Just plain scary. They must replace your sink.

Use this image that Amity put together to get them to
    fix the sink.

Wishing this all better soon
    ~boxer

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HI again!

It's so funny - I have TWO MINUTES go get online so I go here right away and ACK! Thank you Amity! What's funny (hence the "so funny") is that I don't have time (oh no - 60 seconds left!) STILL, to read all the above comments but I know I will tonight as I don't have to run run run as much tonight!

Anyway I just wanted you to know that I talked to the Rohl guy today who got my pics and said that they're going to replace it! The weird catch-22 part is that I can't exactly tell my contractor that he caused it if Rohl is saying it's a defect! So what the heck do I do about the labor?! A carpenter came by that my electrician recommended and he said to get the sink out (destroying the lower cabinet) and to re-build the cab and replace the old sink with the new sink, could cost $2k he estimated! He also said he thought my contractor did a pretty awful job in general (pointed out a lot of problems). I SINCE found out that my contractor who's been licensed for 5 years now, has been doing almost all outdoor work only (landscaping and maybe some outdoor fences and maybe garage stuff?) and that I'm the SECOND indoor job ever. The first being my neighbors whose basement he did. Those neighbors had highly recommended him. Ugh.

More later... Thanks for your patience!

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

My Shaw's sink is cracking around the drain too, now. It's been installed since July, but these cracks are relatively new - I just noticed them in the past week...my daughter dumped some tea and it got "caught" under a cookie sheet that was soaking, so it stained the hairline fissures.

Anyway, I'm just heartbroken because I spent 6 figures renovating my house - our dog just had major spinal surgery for $2400 and then my husband's grandfather died and we had to buy $2300 worth of plane tickets to get home. And, of course, my contractor never finished the project and truly butchered my kitchen...sigh. We are, as they say, out of cash for this project and we have a lot of serious punchlist issues that we are having to come out of pocket for.

I'm thinking of just replacing it with a 24" Porcher stainless apron front since the sink had to come out anyway to repair the cabinet front butchery. The dimensions seem nominally correct and I surely don't think I can take the possibility that a replacement Shaw's will be 2%+/- my current soapstone cut out. The only issue is the drain for the Porcher is on the right and my brass Herbeau is offset on the left. We already have terrible splashing issues and without a sprayer...well, let's just say that wasn't my smartest kitchen selection. I'm thinking of going with the Krauss pre-rinse like I have in the laundry...but my potfiller is brass (but so too are the accents on the stove).

Long story short, am I a) crazy to rip out the Shaw's and b) looking at terrible splashing with the right oriented drain? The plumber has to come out to drop the sink so if I want to change the whole plumbing configuration...I need to do it now. Of course, I also have to drill a hole in my soapstone...but honestly, if I have to, I'll put a soap dispenser in the current faucet hole (on the left). I'm marginally glad that I was so furious about the sink cutout that I didn't have the sink siliconed into place (although it is supported by 2x4 superstructure under the cabinet) and has minimal caulking to prevent water from getting into sink cabinet.

Ugh.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

grlwprls, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Amazing that these things can crack even long after they're installed! Look up the Porcher reviews; I can't remember if they're good or bad.

theresse, when you have time, definitely look over previous messages. Your labor issue was discussed at length. Just because you're getting a replacement sink, that has nothing to do with your contractor's obligation to do a competent job, or re-do it if necessary. Rohl's isn't saying your contractor installed the sink correctly; it's just that they expect to eat a portion of the installs due to the delicacy of their product and their desire to have happy customers.

• onedogedie
    13 years ago

These troubles have cured me of ever wanting one of those sinks. Well, not true. I will always love how they look and will want one but will be too gun shy to go for it.
    I'm sorry that both have you have had these troubles. Root canal of a sink! Ugh!!! It couldn't have happened to two lovelier kitchens.

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

I know it's crazy, but I swear I am just going to have to take the sink out. After doing the cut out twice and paying $$$ for the whole thing multiple times, I can't do it worrying that the sink will fail one day down the road. Stainless apron front for me!

I wonder if something has happened in the production of the Shaw's sinks. I don't recall issues years ago when these sinks first started popping up.

• morgne
    13 years ago

Grlwpls,

Do you really think you need to do that?! I know how much thought went into it for you!

M.

• cheri127
    13 years ago

Oh Grlwpls. I really can't believe this is happening to you, AGAIN! I thought my project was a nightmare but it was a cake walk compared to yours. I'm so sorry.

I kind of agree with Morgne about seeing if you can live with the sink as is. A little bleach might make the cracks invisible again and maybe they're just cosmetic. If you could get Rohl to send you a new sink, you could store it in case this one really does fail. If that's far enough in the future, it won't be so painful to switch it out.

Regarding the soapstone hole. If you do reconfigure, you can plug the old hole with the piece from the new one if you don't want a soap dispenser. We had a hole drilled in the wrong place and filled it in like that and it doesn't look bad at all. In fact, it's barely noticeable with all the "patina" around the sink.

• cross_stitch
    13 years ago

Just noticed this thread this AM. I'll add nothing to Theresse's sink problem but wanted to share this about Rohl. I chose a Rohl Allia sink because it comes with pre-drilled holes for the faucet and other accessories. I had a very tight space for my sink. And I selected the Rohl faucet because I knew it would also fit the sink. I personally visited the showroom and made these selections locally. About 2 years later I had problems with the faucet seizing -- it would barely swing side to side. After my contractor came and looked at the sink, he tried to convince me I had an American Standard faucet. He made no effort to contact the manufacturer and essentially gave up on the problem, telling me to buy a new one (over $400), So I phoned Rohl myself. This company was wonderful to deal with. I talked with Vanessa, the customer service person. She immediately transferred my call to Greg Rohl who said they had identified an engineering problem and he'd send me a part that would fix it. I had it the NEXT DAY. My plumber tried too install it but thought it would do permanent damage the faucet if he forced the repair. So I called Rohl again. They FedExed me a replacement -- a complete faucet system -- and also volunteered to pay the the plumber to install it. They only asked that I return the defective faucet so they could examine it. And yes, they prepaid the return shipping charge. I cannot say enough good things about my experience this family owned and operated business.

Good luck to you with the resolution of this problem, Theresse. I was really glad I bought my Rohl products.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rohl sink

• vdr928
    13 years ago

I am so confused after reading this thread! I was planning to order the Rohls Farmhouse sink, but I am shocked at the problems with it! How many people out there have one that is problem free? I also just read on their site not to use Bleach, Ammonia, or any product containing alcohol..? You can't bleach it?! I love the sink but now I am second guessing myself. My DH is so tired of me going "in circles" trying to decide! I know what I WANT but that is a lot of money for something that may need replaced! Any advice? I am pretty sure we are doing soapstone countertops and I have white cabinets...??

Should I trust it will work out and install the sink or is there another similar solution? (I love the look...?)Also, those of you who did install this sink... what types of installation underlayment was used? I mean what would we have to do to install it (under the cabinet)? I read it weighs 132# so how is it "held up"? Any help would be appreciated!

Also, what happened with the cracked sink? Is it resolved by now?

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

I really have to baby my sink because I have a $231 Rohl brass extended flange for my GD, so I've never used bleach, etc. in the sink (although it surely could use it!).

I've gone back and forth about the sink and changing it out - especially since it will change the whole look of my kitchen. But on the other hand, I've been through so much (my idiot contractor hiring subs that did not understand how my selections "worked" and then proceeding to destroy half of them!) that I can't be sure I can live through the whole nerves about the sink! I will probably install a sink grid for the time being and see if time heals all wounds in this regard. So many things that I lovingly selected didn't end up as I planned but I've learned to overlook them - maybe I will with this too.

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love you guys so much.

Sorry it's been so long since I've signed on. I've been - this is embarrassing - really depressed about everything.

I signed on now to tell you the latest (I'm sorry I don't have things set up to email me when there's been a post, BTW!)...

I met with my contractor ONLY LAST NIGHT. He brought his brother a.k.a. his partner, who never did any work on my kitchen but who did a good job talking. I've been told by other carpenters who've come to see the kitchen recently that the cabinetry in general is unacceptable, aside from the sink issue. I took notes and sent them to my contractor. I've kept some leverage (thanks to the advice of many of you) which is to say they have not yet received their 1/3 final payment for the kitchen work. The sink hasn't been dealt with yet - nothing has. Last night they gave me two options/offers. One is they walk away and I don't pay them any of the remaining $5k but I sign a contract saying I won't file a claim with the CCB if I'm so inclined, in the future. They'd be walking away, free and clear. The other option is they come back and get another shot at doing the work (fixing several issues aside from the sink, then finish everything up) then finally get paid.

I'd like to take door #1. What I don't know is whether or not it's smart to give up my right to file a claim. I think the sink issue can be fixed and the lower cabs improved upon (e.g. they all have too-tight of reveals and the faceframe has to be removed in order to get the sink out and it's scribed in so it will be destroyed...which is fine since it's blocking in the dishwasher anyway! So face frame would have to be made over) for - I'm hoping - under $5k. More likely around $3,000.00. That leaves some cushion but not enough cushion if all the lowers had to be gutted for some unforeseen reason once dragging the old sink out. I think it's pretty safe though. But what do I know. Most of the carpenters won't come in and fix things - they just want to start over. A couple of men said they'd deal with the pre-existing cabs. One of those two men seemed decent in how he held himself, spoke, and his years of his experience. But I haven't checked references yet.

Although I don't know if the future contractor - whoever that is - would be willing to give me a fresh, clean contract making him responsible for new stuff, if he's doing work on pre-existing cabinetry, you know? Will anyone be that nice I wonder??

If anyone can recommend a contractor in Portland, Oregon, please let me know!

Thanks everyone.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

theresse, hang in there!

Your contractors would certainly have a right to expect some waiver of rights on your part. Otherwise they'd fear you could call them back in anytime you wanted, or, more likely, go after them for extra money. I'm not saying their offer is right, or that you should take it; but rather, once you do come to an accommodation that is agreeable to you, you will have to expect to sign something.

I suggest you gather more information before deciding. Get firm bids for repairing their work. If all the bids say, "sorry, have to rip out and redo" then so be it--now you'll know. You might also call the CCB and find out what your options are, without filing anything.

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Marcolo. The CCB said they can't advise me without filing a claim. :( I agree with everything you wrote.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

So sorry to hear about all of this!! :(

Here's my two cents, for whatever it's worth...

- Your cabinets look beautiful---what's the craftsmanship like on the inside (drawers, slides, etc.)? If it's solid, I cannot envision a scenario where they need to be completely replaced. Our cabinetmaker was relatively new to painted inset cabinets, so he (inadvertently---didn't account for the paint!) ordered the doors tight and then planed each one individually until it fit. They look beautiful now, and you'd never know all that work went on. (That's the beauty of painted cabinets, IMO! ;) So if you find a good carpenter, he/she should be able to handle that part with no trouble.

- Similarly, replacing and scribing the face frame around the sink shouldn't be a huge issue for a good carpenter either. Again, because you can caulk and paint, you can hide places that need to be cut, etc.

- I'm guessing finding a contractor who will be responsible for the work will be really tough, and might complicate things more than is worthwhile. I'd instead look for a good carpenter who will do it right the first (second?!?) time.

- How much will the sink cost to replace? Or does Shaw's replace it for you? Make sure to factor that cost in.

- Similarly, does removing the sink impact the counter at all? If so, factor that cost in too.

The main danger with option 1 is all the "what ifs" involved. You could potentially end up out more than $5K if things go badly. On the other hand, that might still be worth it to have someone you trust more do the work. How long do you have to decide? I'd be far more comfortable taking door #1 if I had a new carpenter in hand. (And I would look for an experienced carpenter, not a contractor---I think you're more likely to find the skills and willingness to work on the existing cabinets in that case. You can always hire a plumber to help with the sink if need be; that's pretty cheap if it just involves installing and hooking it up.)

Good luck---keep us posted!!

• marcydc
    13 years ago

vdr928 wrote:
    "I also just read on their site not to use Bleach, Ammonia, or any product containing alcohol..? You can't bleach it?!"

You can't do that to a sink? Alcohol? Seriously? You must drink all your wine and never pour the leftovers in the sink?!! (ok, i can do that :) But, YGTBFKM. It's a SINK!

Theresee, good luck with all this. I surely wish you the best (and it really can't get much worse!)

• lascatx
    13 years ago

There are different kinds of alcohol and they are present in different concentrations -- I think they are talking about the types used as solvents.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Did you mean like denatured alcohol? (which i've been dumping in my stainless steel sink - i'm shellacking :)? That's 190 proof and about 75% ethanol and 20% methanol. Everclear 190 is 95% ethanol. So the concentration of ethanol is higher in the beverage and not the solvent.

If they meant methanol or something else, why would they just say alcohol? Do you void the warranty? Covering their butts?

• momtofour
    13 years ago

theresse,

I'm sorry if you've posted this and I missed it somehow. But how is your husband doing?? Any new news?

• cheri127
    13 years ago

Theresse, don't be afraid of option #1. We fired our contractor when our project was about 2/3 done for many reasons not least of which was that he overcharged us by at least 30% (my fault for signing the contract). The last straw was that the cabinets were installed incorrectly and he refused to take them out and do them again on his dime. I had a few contractors come out to bid on the rest of the work, including fixing the mistakes. Most weren't interested and the one who was had an ego bigger that the guy's I fired and I couldn't go there again, so I made myself the GC and had all the permits put in my name. I found an excellent carpenter and plumber on Craigslist. The carpenter took out all of my base cabinets, cut down some and reinstalled them in one day and charged me $300!!! These were very expensive cabinets and I was nervous but he was great. The plumber was awesome too. Don't be afraid to finish this on your own.

• wellknown
    12 years ago

To All,

I read this thread and had to post. I find it disturbing on so many levels. First Theresse, I am sorry for all the stress that this issue has caused you.

Okay, I am a very experienced General Contractor and have been in business for more then 20 years, doing primarily remodels from $10,000 to $800,000. This post is a primary example of why this business is so difficult and stressful. A couple points:

1. I have put in many sinks and other products. If a product is so fragile that it can not be installed using standard industry practice and it has to be babied, it should not be sold and it should not be put in your kitchen. The fact that your sink cracked like that is an indication that something is wrong with it.(I have installed Shaw Sinks) The fact that people are posting that the granite installer could damage it with the vibration of his drilling is ridiculas! If it is that fragile it should not be in your kitchen. What about when you turn the disposal on? There is going to be some serious vibration.

2. The rush to place blame on someone is not fair and counterproductive. As soon as you start pointing fingers everyone is going to dig in and become defensive. I have seen numerous instances where this happens and it causes nothing but problems. It is much easier and positive to involve everyone in finding a solution and not pointing the finger at anyone. It is even possible that someone could have push a garbage can etc. under the sink, hitting the disposal and cracking the sink, maybe your kids, etc. Who knows? I could think of numerous solutions to this problem. However, if you were pointing the finger at me(particularly after Shaws offered to replace the sink) I would be very hesitant to offer up those solutions.

3. The fact that you were initially holding 1/3 of the contract because of the sink and then started piling on more and more problems to be dealt with, once you got the opinion of a bunch of 'expert' carpenters, is not right either. If you had problems during the process of remodeling your kitchen you should have dealt with thme as they came up. Communication is key in this business and it works in both ways. If you have a question or an issue, you should address it. I just don't understand why it became a horrible job because your sink cracked.

4. Too often people go in to a job like this without a clear understanding of what they want along with unrealistic expectations. It is important that there are clearly defined plans and specifications so that misunderstandings can be avoided. Often times people decide to show a contractor a picture or try to communicate some idea in their head.(I'm not saying this is what happened here, I don't know). I is so important that you have a mutually clear understanding of of you are going to get. This is usually by way of plans and specifications, along with a detailed contract. The money you spend on these will save you so much money and aggrevation in the end. If you expect a certain type of cabinet, spell it out. Dovetail drawer,self closing hardware, etc should be all spelled out. If you want 3 coats of paint and not 2, spell it out. So many times people tell me all the things they want and then give me a budget which is off by $1000s. Don't expect to get a $50,000 job from the inexperienced contractor who tells you that he can do it for $10,000. You will ultimately be disappointed. In my experience I have found that I can never compete on price. There will always be someone who will do it cheaper. The question is, will they do it well? If someoe tells you their hourly rate is $30 and hour and the other guy tells you $60 an hour it does not mean the $30 and hour guy is cheaper...he may be slower! Skill and experience, along with the proper tools, is everything. Do your homework and check references on projects that are similar to yours. Also, if you decide to budget for 'cheap' expect 'cheap'. You will never get the $5000 cabinets to be $30,0000 cabinets, no matter how badly you beat up the contractor.

Finally, Theresse I am so sorry for your experience. Try to keep things in perspective. We are talking about a kitchen sink here. I am sure there is a solution and if I were the Contractor(and you had not pointed the blame finger at me) I would be sleeping soundly tonight knowing that it would be taken care of. There is no reason you should let this cause so much stress for you. Try to take the energy you are putting in to this thread and all the hand wringing and put it in to finding a solution to your problem. I'm sure that there is not one person involved, who does not want to find a solution and put this issue to bed(even if they think it is not their fault). Be positive and collaborate in finding a positive way to move forward. Allow the contractor to deal with the issues you have with his work so that he can warranty it in the future. Understand that the the sink cracking may not be his fault and try to bring him in as your partner in finding a positive outcome.

Best of Luck!

• mumofthree
    11 years ago

I just came across this blog and realized that my cracks in my very expensive Rohl sink are not an anomaly! My sink is three years old and the cracks appeared about six months ago. I will upload pics tomorrow, but I too have an Insinkerator. If I am to replace my sink, it will destroy the granite surrounding it. What a quandary!!
    I just had a $80,000 kitchen remodel done and I have to disagree with mr. "well known" on many levels. Not all contractors are cut from the same mold.
    I did purchase the sink grid when I bought the sink. It does help hide the cracks somewhat.
    It may just be a sink after all, but at this price, I need it to last many years!

• Rose Allenstein
    7 years ago

So how did this work out? I have the cracks too...Bought my sink a year and a half ago and they have been present about 6 months...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Replacing a sink does not destroy granite or cabinets. I've probably got pictures of 20 jobs if you don't believe me.

• Martha Alvarez
    7 years ago

I JUST noticed crazing in my Rohl sink and I am so upset! It's not even 2 years old and I have a metal grate on it to protect it. They appeared from nowhere and I am now wondering how the heck we can get the sink out for repair without ruining the soapstone, backsplash or cabinet?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Martha Alvarez:

You tap the cabinet front off, that's how. It's no big deal; I do it all the time:

5th picture.

• Martha Alvarez
    7 years ago

Joseph thank you so much for your post! I so appreciate it!! Coming to NYC anytime soon lol?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

I may have to start making rounds across the country. Got a call from Virginia the other day, had a job in Staten Island offered, and now you. Dang.

• Martha Alvarez
    7 years ago

lol I'm on Staten Island too!

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

This is an old thread, I know, but theresse, I am in love with your countertops! If you're still following this, I'd love to know how they have worked out. We have an SS surround around our cooktop and it's been so very functional.

• djfiler
    6 years ago

Glad this old thread was resurrected...

After reading it i'm sticking with a drop-in sink. They're not in style but with doing all the work myself, I prefer how easy it is to replace top mount sinks. And since going with a granite composite sink, I can imagine my heavy iron pans causing cracks or chips. Now I can safely bang the sink up while washing heavy pans without too much worrying. Worst case scenario is buying a new sink and dropping it in. That's waaaay easier than ripping out an under-mount in my slightly undersized sink cabinet.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

djfiler:

I just retrofitted a quartz drop-in/undermount to an existing cut-out. It ain't all that if you're not afraid to tap your cabinet front off:

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH