Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cetb_gw

Kitchen layout help

cetb
9 years ago

So after browsing these forums for years and learning invaluable information from all of you it's finally time for the wife and I to start construction in our new home. We are currently in the planning stages and won't start for a month or so. We would like some help in the layout of our kitchen for it to be functional and aesthetically pleasing. The house is open plan concept and have the flexibility to change the design to conform to our needs w/o wanting to add more sq ft to it if possible. We both like to cook and would like the space to allow the both of us to be able to do so together. We have a 3 y.o and do plan on another kiddo in the near future. We like to entertain, specially during the holidays.
My current layout has the all fridge all freezer opposite each other. The range will be a 36" rangetop and though we had originally planned on speed/wall oven stacked as shown, we have now wanting to change it to a side by side alongside a possible built in coffee machine 24". We need to figure out how to make it work in the space we have without loosing countertop space. Thought about moving fridge and freezer together on the left (foyer) wall and do the appliance tower on the right (speed/wall oven/built in coffee) side by side. The problem is that I would need to stretch the side of the kitchen on both sides by another foot which would start to eat up living/dinning room territory. Any suggestions on making this work? We do like the idea of a separate fridge/ freezer though we don't know if we ever need to sell how will future homebuyers take to it as its not common in our area.
The appliances going in are:
36" GE monogram rangetop
32" all fridge/freezer elux icon
30" elux icon wall oven
30" elux icon speed oven
24" miele coffee maker (have not bought yet)
Sink/DW/wine chiller will be on the island.
Ps...we don't have a pantry but plenty of storage As the space next to the F/R will be floor to ceiling cabinets 24". Ceilings are 11'.
Thank you.

Comments (13)

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Please post a plan of the entire 1st floor so we can be the most help to you. We need to see how the spaces relate to each other.

• cetb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure thing. It's a single story house 2100+ sq ft.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

is the lower right area the garage? Assuming it is, your family will be entering the house there most often and that island seems to block traffic. Ideally, people should be able to walk in a direct path past the kitchen but not through it. Walking around that island will be tiresome.
    Filling in that awkward area created by the angle and reconfiguring your mudroom entry to the kitchen could solve that problem, as well as give you a longer side wall for your wall oven/coffee area. I really like that idea by the way, of having them in a line rather than stacked. But it seems inevitable that it will take up more space and deprive you of countertop.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

One question - on one. Side, it says the island is 8' and on the other it says 7'. 8' is doable for 4 stools, 7' is quite tight.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Personally, i would eliminate the full-size freezer in the kitchen and move it to either the laundry area or the nearby garage. This would free up that space for your coffee bar. I'm just not fond of two huge appliances taking up so much kitchen space. When I say space I mean it in both the area the appliance actually inhabits and the visual space. Of course, that's a subjective, aesthetic decision that you might strongly disagree with but I think it would solve your problem.

Re island seating: it used to be recommended to allow 24" in width for each person sitting but that has been increased to 30"...probably because people are bigger than in the past. I'd say to use at least 27-28" minimum when figuring out how many can be seated. Of course, the more space for each individual diner, the more comfortable it will be.

I know you don't want to add square footage but I think nancyjwb is right about the walkway being a bit too much in the kitchen space. Have you considered angling that corner a bit to widen the walkway there? i think that would look more interesting than a bright corner although that also depends a bit on the visual from the dining area down the hall toward laundry and garage.

• sena01
    9 years ago

If you already own all these appliances (except coffee machine) and can't change the entry or can't place the freezer in the garage, I'd suggest an L and a less deep, but slightly longer island (maybe abt. 8,5').

I'd just have DW, sink and cabs in the island (plus at least 15 deep counter overhang for seats) and move the wine chiller to the short leg of the L, stack the ovens, and have a tall cab b/w fridge/freezer and the wall. The tall cab can be for your plates/glasses and coffee machine, if you get one. Cabs next to the sink can hold your prep tools and while one of you prep on the island, the other can use the perimeter counter.

I'd try to keep the distance b/w the island and the DR table as wide as possible so people coming from the mudroom don't end up in the middle of your kitchen (I think a 42" wide table and not centering the table across the window can help).

{{gwi:2135345}}

{{gwi:2135346}}

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

The idea I was toying around with was connecting the kitchen to the angle room with the water heater in it. I'm still not sure how that space functions since I can't see the whole thing, but maybe it could be connected to the kitchen and be turned into a pantry with the freezer in it. Getting the freezer out of the kitchen might open up some other options.

• cetb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the input.
    @nancyjwb- until you mentioned it. We hadn't thought about how the island location does get a bit on the way.

@sjhockefan- yes the island was supposed to be 8' when the preliminary plans called for just an 18' straight kitchen to accommodate 4 ppl using the 24" rule, but the plans changed when I got a good deal on the all fridge all freezer that called for more space to accommodate them. The only option we saw was to place each on opposite sides and reduce the island by a foot for door clearance.

@funkycamper- we do use the freezer a lot and would like to keep it on the kitchen.

@sena01- thank you for the 3D rendering! it definately opens up the space and allows for a bigger island which is always a plus. We considered an L as well on the opposite side but wander how much countertop space there will be. I do like the idea of the longer narrower island and the placement of the R/F next to the ovens.

@laughable- the space behind the kitchen is for storage and to house the W/H, water softener and possibly media room. It's not considered living area.

We are quickly realizing that we may need to just add sqft on the kitchen to just make everything fit without sacrificing countertop space. We may be able to bring the kitchen wall (18') down a foot to make the sides 8' instead of the current 7' and strech the kitchen and dining to make the kitchen 20' so about 46 sqft give it take and like nancy and funkycamper mentioned angle the dining room wall to the hallway that connects the master and garage to the rest of the home to open more the space.

Any thoughts to see if with the extra sq ft we could make it work? Also, this would be the first time we would have a separate Fridge/ Freezer. Do any of you with a similar setup find it inconvenient when cooking or bringing groceries home?

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I have a French door refrigerator with bottom freezer in the main kitchen. In the pantry I have a larger freezer in the pantry. It's a cost effective approach and doesn't eat up precious kitchen counter space.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I have a French door refrigerator with bottom freezer in the main kitchen. In the pantry I have a larger freezer in the pantry. It's a cost effective approach and doesn't eat up precious kitchen counter space.

• Vanessafox
    9 years ago

Others here may have more experience with the Miele coffee maker, but if you're talking about the Nespresso model, I had planned to install one (and in fact, had my cabinets made to accommodate it), but now that I'm finally ordering appliances, I'm finding really poor reviews for it, so I've decided to skip it. (Fortunately, the cabinet will work as a normal bookcase and won't look weird without the coffee maker.)

• huango
    9 years ago

Just a suggestion:
    We already own counter-depth all fridge/freezer before we started our reno.
    --> I designed the space to fit a Standard depth 36" fridge, just in case one of them dies.
    That way, any time in the future, we are not tied/limited to only 33" wide fridges.

You can build in fillers/pull-out broom closet in the extra space.

Amanda

This post was edited by huango on Sat, Jan 3, 15 at 21:31

• cetb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are still on the fence on the miele coffee machine (hard to justify 3k for a coffee machine) we do drink coffee/ espresso on a daily basis. We are by no means coffee 'snobs' considering we own a nespresso d300, a keurig rivo currently stored away, an a regular coffee machine. We do own a french press which we rarely use and an aero press that I use whenever I buy decent coffee grounds. So a plumed built in coffee machine would simplify All that as well as take up less space than the other machines we own.

Amanda thank you for the tip. Definately more options when it comes to 36" fridge sizes and not being tied up with 33" will come in handy years down the road.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH