Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharkbyte

Our remodeled galley kitchen

sharkbyte
13 years ago

While only posting a couple times, my wife and I have been frequent visitors to this site over the past several months. So much great advice that we were able to take advantage of! Anyway, I thought I would attach a few pictures from our recently completed remodel. A few of the specifics:

o Galley kitchen - maintained roughly the same as original layout

o Crystal cherry cabinets

o Malibu Green Soapstone - we absolutely love this more than anything else in our new kitchen!

o Multi-colored glass subway-style backsplash

o Kraus 36" double stainless apron sink

o Broan trash compactor - once you have a compactor, you can't live without one

o Bosch dishwasher

o Samsung refrigerator

o Electrolux induction slide-in range: wow, that water boils quickly!

o Samsung microhood

o Pantry matching cabinets where refrigerator used to be

o Bench under bay window, including drawer pulls selected by our two children: one chose sheep and once chose turtles

From Kitchen Remodel - After Pictures

Comments (41)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That soapstone is a showstopper! It compliments your cabs beautifully. Great choice. The window seat is sweet, especially how you let the kids personalize it with the knobs. Enjoy your hard work and lovely new space.

Are those RH knobs?

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Yours is one of the most efficiently functional kitchens I've ever seen. Love the long counter next to the sink. All of your design choices compliment each other so well. Your cabinets have a beautiful finish and look very "substantial". What kind of glass did you use in the cabinets? It looks like it has an interesting texture. Congratulation!

• cjc123
    13 years ago

Diddo to the beautiful soapstone and kitchen! WOW... The clean lines are beautiful. What color paint? It looks alot like mine - Fieldstone but your looks a bit lighter. Anyway, I like it! Nice job :-)

• willinak
    13 years ago

Very nice Kitchen! I like your pendant over the sink. Could you share what/which light it is?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I was trying to look at the beautiful wood and great details, but I could not take my eyes off your soapstone!
    You really hit the nail on the head with your kitchen. The cabs could not be more pretty and your counters are the perfect choice to go with them. I think this is a timeless and warm look and a beautiful space to cook in ;)

• User
    13 years ago

We will be installing cabinets that are a similar color and style - love your drawer pulls. Care to share what mfg/style/size they are?

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

love love love the soapstone/backsplash combo. Very nice space.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Excellent! Can't believe how well the backsplash and counter go w/one another. I love that you used the Malibu soapstone.

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

Your soapstone reminds me of a river. :o)
    The kids did a nice job choosing their drawer pulls, too.

• bireland
    13 years ago

Beautiful and what a surprise and touch of whimsy to add the animal knobs!

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

WOW! I never liked soapstone until I saw yours--I LOVE IT! And, you have the sink I fell in love with!!!

Your colors are just beautiful, and everything just sparkles!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

It looks great: the layout is simple and functional, and the materials all work great together. The execution of the whole thing is very good. The details of the materials and little things like the pulls you let your kids big --reveal themselves to you as you take it all in. That's my favorite type of thing.

• regina_phalange
    13 years ago

Wow, it's gorgeous!! Great job! I would love to have a bench in my kitchen.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Wonderful kitchen. Gorgeous soapstone! It all looks great. Enjoy!

• kngwd
    13 years ago

Wow! Never seen soapstone like that before! I love it!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Your soapstone is amazing and goes beautifully with your lovely cabs! Also love your cab hardware--and those sheep and turtle pulls are too cute! I'm sure you're enjoying your new space!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    13 years ago

Yum! Gorgeous and functional.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous... love everything about it

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

I understand why you love that soapstone--absolutely gorgeous!! Enjoy!!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Sweet! Your soapstone is so unusual (to me at least!) and very striking. Love your cabs--had considered Crystal cabinets in cherry also, but weren't confident in the KD's abilities so went elsewhere.

Sheep and Turtle knobs are too cute!!!!

• worldmom
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! I love that you used every inch of space in such a creative and useful way. The window seat is wonderful, and I love the soapstone! This helps give me some vision for my sister's galley kitchen that we will soon be helping with. Nice job all around!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

beautiful! beautiful cabinets! gorgeous counter top!

love that you let the kids pick the knobs for the bench cabinet!

looks like great storage space also. looks like a dream to cook in. or do dishes in really!

• sharkbyte
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the the nice comments! We were sold on soapstone as a counter material when we saw it at someone else's house and then a specific slab of the Malibu became a favorite when we first started shopping. We briefly considered a more standard black/gray soapstone (Texeira called it Fantasia) with white veining but kept coming back to the look of the Malibu. The feel is actually a bit bumpy since it is "leathered", which I also liked about it.

We were concerned that the backsplash plus counter might be too busy since they both have patterns to them but we're happy with the combination. Here's a closer shot that I also took of the 2 together.

I'll get more info on knobs, light, paint, as I get a chance. The nice thing about our remodel is that my wife and I have similar tastes and are able to make decisions quickly - we don't like laboring over the myriad of options available so a single trip to Lowe's for example helped us decide on knobs, faucet, and pendant light for example. Oh yeah, and the faucet we ended up getting is the Delta single touch on/off which is convenient when doing dishes.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Wonderful kitchen. Gorgeous soapstone! It all looks great. Enjoy!

• colorado_mom
    13 years ago

Wow- what a beautiful space!

Tell me about your fridge. Counter Depth, right? We have narrowed it down to the Samsung or a Kitchenaid. How do you like it so far? Any problems/tips in installation?

• sharkbyte
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually, the refrigerator is regular depth. If you look at the pictures, you can see that it sticks out further than the cabinets and has a "frame" around it that is larger than standard depth. In order to accommodate this size refrigerator, we had to move the adjacent entry door by a few inches (see picture 2). To the left of the fridge we put a vertical wine rack since we needed clearance for the left door to fully open plus we needed space somewhere to store our small selection of wine.

Why not counter-depth? A few reasons:
    o Cost
    o Reduced size
    o We wanted Samsung but didn't want an external water/ice dispenser and Samsung doesn't make counter-depth without this "feature"

I personally like the Samsung due to the easy open freezer pull. It's amazing how a small feature like that can narrow down choices quickly. No real complaints so far but we've only been up and running for about 3 weeks. The only minor complaint would be that you need both doors open to pull out the middle cheese/meat drawer. I don't know of any problems with installation but then again, we paid a contractor handsomely to ensure that wasn't something that we had to hear about... :)

• colorado_mom
    13 years ago

Ahhhh - yes. I just took a quick look with the frame around it, and thought it was counter depth. Thank you! I agree that the $$ for less space is just wrong! Unfortunately, our kitchen is so small, it is a must have for us.

Congrats again, and enjoy!

• caligal
    13 years ago

pretty amazing soapstone and looks beautiful
    with the rich color of the cabinets. You guys
    did a wonderful job and tell the kids their
    picks make the kitchen extra special!

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! That soapstone is amazing and it looks wonderful with the cabinets. I love your childrens' choices in cabinet pulls :-) I'm sure you will enjoy this kitchen.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Oh, my, my heart belongs to your soapstone! That is one gorgeous piece of rock. Oh, yes, the rest of your kitchen is lovely, too. I'm just mesmerized by your counters. Seriously mesmerized.

Love that you got the kids involved choosing those cute knobs.

• sharkbyte
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't have answers to all questions yet but I do have information on a couple of things:

Francoise - The glass in the cabinets is Clear Machine Antique or Clear Drawn Antique. Name seems to depend on who is selling it but the code, which seems to be universal, is GNA-0189 - GNA stands for German New Antique which I believe is the manufacturer. We wanted something almost clear and are quite happy with our choice.

Willinak - The pendant light was purchased at Lowe's and is a Portfolio model 137776. See attached link.

I've got information on the handles, kid knobs, and paint - just need to look it up. Thanks again for all the compliments!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendant Light

• lala girl
    13 years ago

What a gorgeous space!! Clean and fresh - love it! I love the hardware, all chunky and shiny. And that counter is crazy STUNNING.

• User
    13 years ago

SharkByte -

Have you been able to come up with the name/model for your drawer pulls yet? I really like them ...

Thanks

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

You created a fantastic space. Alluring, elegant, classic
    and yet whimsical with those adorable knobs.
    ~boxer

• kaysd
    13 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! I love the soothing combination of cherry, greens and stainless steel. That is an especially pretty soapstone. I also love that you let your kids pick the knobs - they add a nice touch of whimsy.

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, that soapstone and cabinetry are rockin! You should be so proud of that fine space. I also love the view into family room esp. the laptop randomly plugged in somewhere and the toys on the cabinet. Looks like a home with lots of love!

Shannon

• mbw1
    13 years ago

I love it! Very classy beautiful space!

• sharkbyte
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry that I forgot to come back with answers to the questions on the paint and handles. We used the following:

o Handles are Hickory Hardware, Studio, 96mm, Satin Nickel.
    o Animal knobs are from a company called Emenee, which has a large selection of unique knobs to choose from.
    o Paint color is Kelly-Moore Winterwood.

Thanks again for all the positive comments. We're really enjoying our kitchen!

And for louisianapurchase, that family room in the background is where we spend most of our time so naturally there are lots of toys kept on and inside the built-ins which go around the room. The hardwood floor in there was actually part of our project as well - as you can imagine white carpet and kids aren't a good mix so we decided it was time to get rid of that.

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

your kitchen is beautiful. It looks like it will be a pleasure to work in. Congratulations on the Teamwork!

• Molly LaHay
    2 years ago

@sharkbyte Have you ever wished for a vent fan that exhausts to the outside with your induction range?

• sharkbyte
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Molly LaHay a vent fan hasn't ever seemed to be something that we miss having. But then again, we do a lot of our cooking on the grill outdoors. After 10 years, we still think that the induction range was one of our best design choices - it's a great appliance!