Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandr1212_gw

Mixer Lifts the Pros and Cons

gandr1212
14 years ago

I need your advice. I have always wanted one -- A mixer lift. It would help because the kitchen aid is so heavy. But is it worth the space lost in a cabinet. Should I stick to my orignial plan of an appliance garage? They don't slid worth anything.

Thanks

Gail

Comments (7)

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

If you use it a lot then a mixer lift might be worth it. I use mine a lot only during the christmas holidays and maybe once a month during the rest of the year, so I didn't want to give it valuable real estate under the counters. My mixer lives in my pantry. It is heavy and a pain to move in and out, but I like it there, out of the way. If your kitchen is large and you can afford to lose the cabinet, it might be nice. Although my cabinet guy told me that he has installed a number of them and many people end up taking them back out later on because space loss.

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

Mine sits out on the counter. I use it often. My coffee maker also sits out and my toaster oven. Currently I have a food processor sitting out because I just got it for Xmas but that will probably be stored. They are pretty appliances.

Trish

• cotehele
    14 years ago

I've never had a mixer lift, and choose not to use one in the new bakery. My mixers travel on the counter when mixing bread dough at capacity. The mixer would vibrate and fall off the stand as well. My solution was a slide out drawer directly below the counter where the mixer is used. The mixers are heavy, but I've found it a blessing. My arm strength has increased since I started using cast iron pots and lifting mixers a couple of years ago.

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

We just finished our kitchen in November. I have used my mixer lift about eight times now. I like it! It doesn't shimmy too much, but I don't use it for bread. It's still new to me, so I'm in the honeymoon phase with it. I decided to try it, because lifting it was becoming harder and harder, and my DH isn't a fan of lots of items on the counter. I figure if I really don't like it, I can have the lift removed in a few years and we can do something else with the space. The lift was $150. HTH

• rnest44
    14 years ago

I REALLY wanted one in my new kitchen. For me, the con list was longer than the pro list. I thought I might have the traveling mixer issue like the above poster. What put me over the edge was not having counter space all around the mixer. I'm a neat cook but I do love to spread everything out when using a mixer. My DD2 uses the mixer several times a week so for her high school years I've planned to leave it out as I will have the space. I'll re-evaluate when she's off to college.

Make a pro and con list and see what will work for you in the new kitchen.

• arleneb
    14 years ago

I decided against it because of the mess I have on my counter when I use my mixer. It's way easier to clean the counter than the floor, which I assume is where it would be with a lift. I have a plastic cover like Cohele's but I've never been able to make it work . . . maybe I should try again!

I have a corner appliance garage with a 4-hole outlet in the back. That corner is a 45 degree angle, so when the garage door is open, I can just pull the mixer out(already plugged in), use it right in front of the garage, and slide it back in when finished. This wouldn't work with a 90-degree corner, but it works great with the 45.

Along with the mixer, I also keep both my regular and mini food processors and a seldom-used blender in there. There's enough room left over for the paper towel holder and some odds and ends.

Works for me!

• gandr1212
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ya'll have voiced my very concerns: debris on the floor, loss of storage space, loss of passageway. For the cost of the lift I could nearly have another mixer or at least something pretty for the counter. I think I will go with the appl. garage.

Thanks
    gail