Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandywine72

Order backsplash tile with mesh or no mesh?

Brandywine72
9 years ago

My mom is ordering a beautiful handmade tile for her backsplash from a small company in Oregon. They are 2 x 4 in. tiles in five different textures and colors. The difference in cost is significant between ordering them individually vs meshed: Individual around $35 sq foot; with mesh around $55 sq ft.

She wants the grout lines to be straight and nice looking. What are the pros and cons of ordering mesh vs individual tiles? She will be hiring someone to do the installation for her. No DIY here!

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Since there are multiple colors and textures I'd rather have unmeshed. If they come on mesh she has to either accept their layout or cut them apart anyway. As long as she hires a good tile person and approves the layout she should be fine with unmeshed.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

labor costs may be higher, reducing your savings. DIY user would obviously have a higher chance of a quality look afterwards.

If not meshed, then you're also relying on the pro's decision of color layouts which may vary from what you would ideally chose or the manufacturer would choose.

Given all that if you approve the layout before it's up, and a pro is doing it, I agree with Christina, save the money.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Mulitple textures and colors, small tiles ... installation and layout will be more difficult for the installer. Savings on the tile will be lost on labor. Make sure the installer knows what he's working with before he gives you his bid.

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

My sister did a clever thing with her bathroom - don't know if it would work for you, but it worked well for her...

She used a board (I think it was actually styrofoam) and she glued ornamental glass "stones" of various colors & sizes to the foam in a pattern she liked. She then had her contractor secure them to the wall/grout them.

It turned out great, and I've thought that if I end up going with any kind of "random" (or not so random) pattern that I might do that myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2135336}}

• crl_
    9 years ago

Has she hired someone for the job? If so, I'd ask the tile setter.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Since it's not the tile setter paying for it, he'd definitely say get the meshed. So my question would be "How much to do this job with meshed tile? How much to do it without meshed tile?"

Then figure out if it's worth the savings to get it unmeshed.

Having it meshed doesn't guarantee perfectly straight grout lines. There is a bit of play in the mesh.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Laying out multi-textured and multi-colored tiles into an aesthetically pleasing pattern takes time, so there is more to it then simply installing meshed vs. unmeshed tile. Someone is going to pay for that extra time, and there is a chance that the setter's layout and mix of colors/textures may still not please the homeowner. Something to consider.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 13:29