Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on Hampton Bay Cabinets?

Posted by beemer (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 2, 10 at 2:25

Well, I've had bad news on my frugal kitchen remodel. The oak cabinets we found on Craig's List we sold out from under us - even after we had agreed on the full price and were going to pick them up the next weekend! He probably got a better offer. Hopes dashed.

Oh well, the good news is my husband is so mad that he thinks we may just buy new, self-installed cabinets. I have been looking at the Hampton Bay Cabinets through Home Depot. They have no particle board, and I can get full uppers and lowers for my 9 X 9 kitchen for about 3700.00. This would be the "dream kitchen" without the Silestone countertops. We'd be adding a new cooktop, oven and microwave/hood to the tune of about 2800.00 more.

Any good/bad reviews on Hampton Bay?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on Hampton Bay Cabinets?

Chinese made plywood is suspect in my book. So is Chinese construction, finishing techniques, and quality control. For the same price, if you've got to deal with Home Depot, you can get American Woodmark cabinets for probably the same or less. Those at least are made in America and you have a little less time than waiting on a slow boat from China for replacement parts.

BTW, all plywood construction isn't always a sign of good quality. Better quality furniture board is higher quality than bad quality plywood. DO a forum search. The subject's been discussed frequently.

o

HD Canada often has different product but about a year ago HD Canada stopped using Masco's Mill's Pride as their in-stock cabinetry and replaced it with a Chinese based RTA product (personally I don't have any issues with reputable companies that manufacture in China - I have good quality items made in China in my home by companies who have manufacturing facilities there but house brands like Hampton Bay don't usually have their own manufacturing facilities, some nameless and faceless company is manufacturing that product and it is being stamped with the Hampton Bay label - and who knows how many ever others - and then sold in NA). It was such a disaster that after less than 6 months HD was marking it down and selling it off and have now replaced it with a Canadian made product called Eurostyle Kitchens. Eurostyle is a division of Fabritec who make a line of stock (my Mom used this line in her kitchen and has been very happy) and semi-custom cabinetry for HD Canada. Not sure when it will be available but this line has since been picked up by HD for its' US stores. The Hampton Bay product may not be the same product as the RTA line (as it is an assembled product) that was being sold but you might want to find out where the Hampton Bay cabinetry is being made and by who.

To each their own but I can assure you that a lot of very expensive custom cabinetry is made using particleboard boxes - boxes made from plywood not made to NA standards may perform a lot worse than a NA manufactured furniture grade particle board made to ANSI standards. I would be most concerned about how the really important elements like the finish and the drawer hardware will perform over time on the Hampton Bay product. I think you have some RTA options with better track records and\or NA production base you might consider (the Hampton Bay cabinetry may be manufactured here in NA - it isn't available - as Hampton Bay anyway - here in the Canadian stores so I have never seen it). If you can install the cabinets you certainly have the skills to assemble them. Good luck.

o

>the Hampton Bay cabinetry may be manufactured here in NA

Don't know about the kitchen cabs, but the bath vanities are made and assembled in China.

o

why not Ikea cabinets- they are competitively priced and get good reviews. We are considering them for our next kitchen remodel, having used home depot in the past.

o

Just bought a Hampton Bay wall cabinet (made by RSI). Color match and style match to our old American Woodmark honey-spice cabinets is really pretty good (if you pick your cabinet door carefully).
Sloppy construction in attaching front oak piece to the sides (all staples visible if you look around the corner on the inside of the frame). Kind of unbelievable, but I doubt anyone will notice. It will do fine, esp. considering the price and the close match to a 25-year old cabinet.

Don't bother going to their "website" americanclassicKitchens.com - it's for sale and has zero information on the company. It's all a fake front.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here