Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beemer_gw

Thoughts on Hampton Bay Cabinets?

Beemer
14 years ago

Well, I've had bad news on my frugal kitchen remodel. The oak cabinets we found on Craig's List we sold out from under us - even after we had agreed on the full price and were going to pick them up the next weekend! He probably got a better offer. Hopes dashed.

Oh well, the good news is my husband is so mad that he thinks we may just buy new, self-installed cabinets. I have been looking at the Hampton Bay Cabinets through Home Depot. They have no particle board, and I can get full uppers and lowers for my 9 X 9 kitchen for about 3700.00. This would be the "dream kitchen" without the Silestone countertops. We'd be adding a new cooktop, oven and microwave/hood to the tune of about 2800.00 more.

Any good/bad reviews on Hampton Bay?

Comments (18)

• User
    14 years ago

Chinese made plywood is suspect in my book. So is Chinese construction, finishing techniques, and quality control. For the same price, if you've got to deal with Home Depot, you can get American Woodmark cabinets for probably the same or less. Those at least are made in America and you have a little less time than waiting on a slow boat from China for replacement parts.

BTW, all plywood construction isn't always a sign of good quality. Better quality furniture board is higher quality than bad quality plywood. DO a forum search. The subject's been discussed frequently.

• caryscott
    14 years ago

HD Canada often has different product but about a year ago HD Canada stopped using Masco's Mill's Pride as their in-stock cabinetry and replaced it with a Chinese based RTA product (personally I don't have any issues with reputable companies that manufacture in China - I have good quality items made in China in my home by companies who have manufacturing facilities there but house brands like Hampton Bay don't usually have their own manufacturing facilities, some nameless and faceless company is manufacturing that product and it is being stamped with the Hampton Bay label - and who knows how many ever others - and then sold in NA). It was such a disaster that after less than 6 months HD was marking it down and selling it off and have now replaced it with a Canadian made product called Eurostyle Kitchens. Eurostyle is a division of Fabritec who make a line of stock (my Mom used this line in her kitchen and has been very happy) and semi-custom cabinetry for HD Canada. Not sure when it will be available but this line has since been picked up by HD for its' US stores. The Hampton Bay product may not be the same product as the RTA line (as it is an assembled product) that was being sold but you might want to find out where the Hampton Bay cabinetry is being made and by who.

To each their own but I can assure you that a lot of very expensive custom cabinetry is made using particleboard boxes - boxes made from plywood not made to NA standards may perform a lot worse than a NA manufactured furniture grade particle board made to ANSI standards. I would be most concerned about how the really important elements like the finish and the drawer hardware will perform over time on the Hampton Bay product. I think you have some RTA options with better track records and\or NA production base you might consider (the Hampton Bay cabinetry may be manufactured here in NA - it isn't available - as Hampton Bay anyway - here in the Canadian stores so I have never seen it). If you can install the cabinets you certainly have the skills to assemble them. Good luck.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>the Hampton Bay cabinetry may be manufactured here in NA

Don't know about the kitchen cabs, but the bath vanities are made and assembled in China.

• roserobin_gw
    14 years ago

why not Ikea cabinets- they are competitively priced and get good reviews. We are considering them for our next kitchen remodel, having used home depot in the past.

• Mr.Bean
    10 years ago

Just bought a Hampton Bay wall cabinet (made by RSI). Color match and style match to our old American Woodmark honey-spice cabinets is really pretty good (if you pick your cabinet door carefully).
    Sloppy construction in attaching front oak piece to the sides (all staples visible if you look around the corner on the inside of the frame). Kind of unbelievable, but I doubt anyone will notice. It will do fine, esp. considering the price and the close match to a 25-year old cabinet.

Don't bother going to their "website" americanclassicKitchens.com - it's for sale and has zero information on the company. It's all a fake front.

• cynthiadaniel
    5 years ago

This is a very old thread, but I just had a design appointment at Home Depot and I asked the designer to list the cabinets top to bottom in terms of pricing. Second to the bottom was Hampton Bay Designer with Hampton Bay in stock being the cheapest. American Woodmark was the next price level up and she said they are typically about 3 times more than Hampton Bay Designer.

• User
    5 years ago

That’s because it’s cheepchinesecrapola, that no one should let in their house. It’s a Slumlords delight.

AW is about the cheapest entry level cabinet that someone should ever put in a house.

• HU-353339841
    5 years ago

I love the looks of the cabinets but never see such shabby workmanship. We spent a lot of money on these cabinets just to get second hand quality. The pic included was of out refrigerator wall section which everyone I have complained to admitted that it shouldn’t have even been sent to us in that condition. We have dealt with crooked and warped doors, nail holes showing, places where their nailing was starting to come through the exterior, warped casing, we were also missing some of the rubber stoppers on the doors. we actually had a rep of Hampton Bay come to the house with a rep from Home Depot. He basically tried to justify the workmanship. On one drawer that was crooked he actually took one of the little rubber door stoppers off and said, “there. Now it’s better.” Besides sending a few replacement pieces that were bad, there was nothing else he was willing to do. I would NOT recommend Hampton Bay cabinets to anyone unless you are just looking for cabinets and don’t care about the workmanship. The price just isn’t worth what you get. I told this man, if I wanted second hand cabinets I would have gone and paid for some that would have been a lot cheaper than these. My only suggestion to anyone considering this cabinet is DON’T BUY THEM!!!!!

• Emily Dye
    5 years ago

Our purchase arrived in three separate shipments. Consistently, 50% of our Hampton Bay cabinets arrived broken. They are built without corner braces, then shipped without sufficient packaging. Even half of the replacement cabinets came broken! We gave up, demanded a refund from Home Depot. Then we purchased better quality locally-built cabinets for the same price.

• Barbara and Mark Thompson
    3 years ago

My Hampton Bay painted kitchen cabinets from Home Depot were installed by an independent contractor with 25 years of experience. They look and work great. The installer said they were quality cabinets at a good value.

• HU-742341434
    3 years ago

In my experience, Hampton Bay cabinets are poor quality, haphazardly assembled, and often arrive damaged. I would never buy them again.

• Shaswat Sekhar
    last year

So Folks... am just writing this to save ya'll from these guys. I knew we had a supply chain issue globally and hence I chose these guys since they manufacture at home in the great state of Texas. Order for entire kitchen cabinets was placed 02/04/2022. Estimated delivery at time of ordering 04/27/2022. But the sales people at Home Depot (my go to store for all things home) assured me that this was out of abundant caution to prevent "over promising and under delivery". Which actually turned out to be true. When I called the Hampton Bay Designer Series post ordering, I was told that the scheduled shipment was for 04/04/2022. Following up with these folks is useless. You really are in Jesus' loving hands when you place an order with them. The cabinets were ultimately shipped on 04/19/2022. Arrived on 04/28/2022. Please note that in spite of the abundance of care, they did miss the delivery date by 1 day. But that wasnt a big issue. The shipper these guys use NSD Shipping is superlative. 3 of the cabinets arrived damaged. 1 beyond the point of reusability. I patched up and used 2 of the 3. The 3rd I returned and placed a replacement order on 05/02/2022. The estimated delivery (in spite of it being a replacement order for stuff delivered damaged was 07/11/2022. Called Hampton Bay Designer Series again and got a "rush" placed on the order. Promised shipment date was 06/06/2022. Today is 06/08/2022. Just got off the phone with them. Holy Moly ... still not shipped. God willing today or tomorrow.

So thats my story. Go with China. Go with Germany. Go with Turkey. Avoid these guys like the bloody plague.

Shaz

• mainenell
    last year

Just so you know, that is the story of cabinet order time frames these days. Even for replacements.

• PRO
    BrianMoncionMillwork
    last year

As a custom cabinet builder and designer I was blown away that these are actually being sold. I was asked to install a 9 cabinet kitchen as favor. Who staples bags with shelf pins to the actual shelf???? Thus already making it damaged. Not one staple but 3. Total garbage, shelfs are 3/16 too small...wobbly shelfs. I screwed the cabinet to the wall and the one single dowel broke the back.

• PRO
    BrianMoncionMillwork
    last year

Absolutely garbage

• Kay Rosendahl
    last year

I ordered the HB designer cabinets based on what I saw in the store. However, no idea what they are like as for the second time, NSD has failed to deliver the cabinets. I was to receive the first order on October 16 (I live in Missouri). The driver dropped the order in Clearwater, FL. I was then told I had to cancel the first order and place the order again. I did, and it cost me more as Home Depot did not price match! On Thanksgiving, I received a call saying my delivery would arrive on Friday (the next day). I called NSD on Friday to verify the delivery time and was told between 4:30 and 8:30 pm and the driver would call 30 minutes before arriving. I waited until 9:30 pm and nothing. I called NSD on Saturday and finally reached a person in the afternoon. I was told that the driver "attempted delivery at 7:15." I would like to know where! It wasn't to the address on the shipping label and the driver never called.

I would NEVER recommend this to anyone!

• Alan Schroeder
    last year

What garbage! open the box, sides broken off, glue delaminated, particle board fell apart. not worth using as firewood.