Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynetta51

Crown molding above kitchen cabinets

lynetta51
9 years ago

This has been a diy project on a shoe string budget. Our log cabin kitchen was in need of some work. Having never done this before we are learning from our mistakes and there has been many! We bought the cabinets on Craigslist and painted them. It was a job trying to line them up. The area by the stove worked out great but by the sink there is an issue. We wanted to put crown molding at the top but you can see the problem the bulkhead was to deep so the cabinets in the corner make it difficult. Any ideas or should we just leave it? We still have work to do trim the bottom and add lights and put in the spacers as well as the end pieces for the cabinets. What so you think of bead board on the ends of the cabinets? Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Lynetta, I admire your thriftiness and hard work! Those are great CL cabinets. I love bead board, and just brought some yesterday for my kitchen 'face lift' after 24 years! People will cringe, but I bought the PVC type at Home Depot as I have used it as wainscot in 2 bathrooms, it's bullet proof, and looks far better than the wooden bead board after time that my sister installed in her bathroom.

This is my inspiration kitchen below, although mine is tiny in my old cape, at 11 x 15. I loved the cab color and am painting my natural maple cabs SW ' Softened Green'. I'm going to use the bead board as they did, below the upper cabs to the counter top.

{{gwi:2135266}}

Have you installed all of your upper cabs? I see on the one in the right of your pic that the door is a bit longer than the box. I don't know whether there is enough room to drop your uppers down a bit to accept some small crown molding? My original cabinets stopped about 6" from the ceiling, and had crown, not going to the ceiling. What a dust catcher behind that crown!

I just had the original crown removed, fascia added and now new larger crown at the upper part of the fascia, and this is what it looked like briefly. Original crown removed, with potential window treatment fabric draped over the cab.

{{gwi:2135267}}
    Now with just primer. Please try to ignore the old range hood!
    I had small crown put in my living room years ago, due to low ceilings in my old house. IF you have any room to drop your upper cabs a bit, I think you can add your crown.

Best of luck, and please show us your progress as you continue!

{{gwi:2135268}}

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Your painted cabinets are turning out beautifully (both of you!)

Lynnetta, would you like to put in a spacer behind the cabinet on the sink run (painted to match, of course) to push the cabinet forward so that it is flush with the bulkhead? This would let you run the crown in a continuous line around the corner.

Or, could you drop the uppers just enough to run the crown underneath the bulkhead, like we did in our old kitchen, linked below?

I can't wait to see more pictures. These kitchens are both going to be so pretty! : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Closer picture of molding and bulkhead about 1/2 way down page

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

If you want crown, drop all the cabinets and build the bulkhead out with drywall.

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Are you able to open the left door on that wall cabinet beneath the bulkhead? For my cabinets that meet in the corner, there is a 3" spacer to allow each door on the corner side to open. Sorry, I can't help regarding the crown molding question.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I think they look fine without crown molding. It makes them look simple and fits in perfectly for a cabin kitchen.

• lynetta51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I plan to send the ideas from the main design department, that's me, to the work department, that's DH. my3dogs I love your kitchen, it is looking good! We were trying to have the cabinets line up that's why we didn't pull them out to match the bulkhead. I'll try to post another picture to show what I mean. texasgal the cabinets do hit,they were worse but we moved them so they are better. I read about a Blum restriction clip the can be used to prevent the door from opening to it's full potential, I plan to order some and hope to solves the problem. zorroslw my DH thinks they look fine too. To get him to move them might take a few memos, he had a friend help him put the uppers in and it was difficult!!!! So I was told, I went shopping so didn't witness it.

• lynetta51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm having trouble posting more then one photo. To have the space around the stove we tried to make it even on both sides. We plan to put in a 36 inch fan so that side will look symmetrical, I think. On each side of the stove we plan 12 inch pull outs, but we need to make the boxes. On the right side of the sink we have a 12 inch cabinet with glass. Thanks again for all the feed back.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner