Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amybo_gw

Advantium + another microwave? 2 dishwashers? Oven under cooktop

amybo
12 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and have a few questions:

1) Do I need another microwave in addition to GE advantium oven?

I plan to use the GE advantium oven as the microwave/oven combo. In addition to the regular oven, this would allow us to have 2 ovens for the holiday cooking. People also seem to prefer the advantium over traditional oven due to faster cooking time. Since I am anticipating that I may use the advatinum oven for baking, I may end up with no microwave while the advantum is ued. My kitchen is not huge. I can make room for another microwave drawer or countertop microwave in the pantry but I would loose precious storage space. I would like to hear from advantium users if they think another microwave is needed.

2) 2 dishwashers?

We have a large island, so we could potentially put in another dishwasher. We dont host a lot of big parties, so it's not the amount of dishes we need to wash during parties. We have 4 people in the house. With 2 busy teenagers and 2 working parents, the dishwasher does not get unloaded. So we end up putting dirty dishes in the sink (rather than straight into the dishwasher) and someone will need to load the dish washers later. I am considering putting 2 dish washers, so we can put dirty dishes directly into the dirty dishwasher. We also dont need to unload the clean dishwasher. We dont like the double drawers dishwasher - bad service record and dont clean dishes very well. Does anyone have 2 full size dishwashers? Do you think it's a overkill or you are glad that you have 2 dishwashers? Do people get confused which one has clean dishes and which one has dirty dishes?

3) Oven under the cooktop?

We plan to use induction cooktop. My husband thinks it's better to have the oven away from the cooktop. I thought putting the oven under the cooktop would allow people to switch to gas range if they don't like the induction when we sell the house. What do you think?

Comments (4)

• LMM170
    12 years ago

I have two Bosh dishwashers and love them for entertaining. With two teens, my rule is ONE dishwasher unless we are entertaining. I also have a micro and advantium. Love having both I have a commercial style range with oven below. If I had to do it over, I would prefer not stooping down to the oven. I would have a wall oven. I am not a gourmet cook, so the Advantuim does not get used so much, but I still love having it.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

1) Do I need another microwave ...
    ... but I would loose precious storage space.
    =
    I doubt this very much. The kitchen is large enough to have an island. Post your layout.

2) ... Does anyone have 2 full size dishwashers? Do you think it's a overkill ...

Post your layout.

3) Oven under the cooktop?
    ... allow people to switch to gas ... when we sell the house.

You sound like you mean "range" in both cases.
    If the range you get today is an induction range
    = space left for any other range when you move.
    BUT you wrote "induction cooktop ... putting the oven under the cooktop "
    This sounds like confusion.

• SadieV
    12 years ago

We had an Advantium in our old kitchen. We are a family of four and I host many dinners for a large extended family. I love to cook and bake and spend many hours in the kitchen. I don't think I ever felt I needed another microwave in addition to the Advantium. I have the KitchenAid microwave/convection combination oven in our new kitchen, and I like it much better than the Advantium. If you are going to use it for baking, I highly recommend the microwave/convection combo.

If you are going with an induction cooktop and a separate oven under the cooktop, one thing to consider is the venting on the oven. Wall ovens vent to the front, which means if you're standing at the cooktop and have the oven on you'll have the hot air blowing on you. If you're using a range, that will vent to the top. I have a cooktop and wall oven (with the micro/convection above that) and find it much more convenient that my old setup with a range.

• nineteenoeight
    12 years ago

Hi, SadieV!
    We have been looking at the advantium vs a micro/convection and wondered what specifically you like better in your new kitchenaid. And did you have the 240volt advantium or the 120 volt?
    Thanks, it's great that you've had both, and interesting that you didn't need a separate MW with the advantium.