Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glazed or Non-Glazed White Cabinets?

Posted by southernmum (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 2:05

Do people still glaze their kitchen cabinets or is that so 2006? I have no idea... I see both in showrooms, but just wonder what most people do. I like the look of some glazed cabinets, as long as the glaze is lightly applied. I just want my kitchen to be timeless, yet some of the stark white cabinets I see look almost sterile without a glaze. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glazed or Non-Glazed White Cabinets?

Hi Southernmum. It's been a while since someone has asked this question. It used to come up a few times a year. I'll link one similar from last year. The trend, as referenced by some of the KDs on the forum, is away from glazing to a cleaner, simpler look. Many, including me, feel glazing on white cabs looks dirty and grimy. I want to grab and brush and scrub off the dirt when I see glaze.

The important thing, however, is to do what looks best to you. If you feel that white cabs are too sterile, perhaps look at a creamier white to warm up the color a bit.

I love, love, love, love my white cabs.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Oops! Forgot the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent thread on glazing

o

Here's an Internet search I did looking for past discussions on glazing. You'll find another dozen or so threads from this link. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: More threads

o

I think it depends on the style of your kitchen. Is it modern, transitional, traditional? Are you going for an old world look or a clean look? I didn't do a white kitchen, but I did do a "complete" wipe off glaze that really only caught in the decorative moldings. It also gave some depth to the light blue cabinets I put in.

I love white kitchens, but I don't think I would glaze it unless I wanted a very old world look. I would go with a creamier white if I didn't like the stark white look.

Here is a link that might be useful: glazed cabinets

o

Breezygirl, I LOVE your kitchen! It's just gorgeous! Yes, I felt the same way, for the most part, in the showroom. Some of the glazes were dirty looking. I think I'm going to go with creamy white perimeter cabinets and a gray island! :)

o

I echo everything breezy said. Also, I worried about the "stark" aspect of my white cabinets, but I love them. They are bright and clean to me.

o

@southernmum - have you considered going with a creamy white or ivory, instead of white white?

o

Some glazes are very well done and not dirty looking.

o

@southernmum, I'm thinking of doing the same, white perimeter and grey island. Do you have any pics you could post? I'm not finding much online.

o

Ditto breezygirl too. Brought a sample home and dh said "no way, it looks dirty!" I love my white, although I love creamy white (no glaze) too. Depends on your house style and your colors and paint choices. Good luck!

o

@suthernmum, we must be leading parallel lives. What did you decide with the cabinets? I'm trying to decide the exact same thing.

o

Just saw a kitchen display yesterday that was accented very lightly with a glaze. I really liked it. The salesperson said that it is not heavy like a traditional glaze, but is called a "wash". It just gave the cabinets a warm soft look without being much. I took some pictures, but will have to download them to here later today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here