Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boymom23

Glazed or Non-Glazed White Cabinets?

boymom23
11 years ago

Do people still glaze their kitchen cabinets or is that so 2006? I have no idea... I see both in showrooms, but just wonder what most people do. I like the look of some glazed cabinets, as long as the glaze is lightly applied. I just want my kitchen to be timeless, yet some of the stark white cabinets I see look almost sterile without a glaze. Thoughts?

Comments (12)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Hi Southernmum. It's been a while since someone has asked this question. It used to come up a few times a year. I'll link one similar from last year. The trend, as referenced by some of the KDs on the forum, is away from glazing to a cleaner, simpler look. Many, including me, feel glazing on white cabs looks dirty and grimy. I want to grab and brush and scrub off the dirt when I see glaze.

The important thing, however, is to do what looks best to you. If you feel that white cabs are too sterile, perhaps look at a creamier white to warm up the color a bit.

I love, love, love, love my white cabs.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Oops! Forgot the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent thread on glazing

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Here's an Internet search I did looking for past discussions on glazing. You'll find another dozen or so threads from this link. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: More threads

• finestra
    11 years ago

I think it depends on the style of your kitchen. Is it modern, transitional, traditional? Are you going for an old world look or a clean look? I didn't do a white kitchen, but I did do a "complete" wipe off glaze that really only caught in the decorative moldings. It also gave some depth to the light blue cabinets I put in.

I love white kitchens, but I don't think I would glaze it unless I wanted a very old world look. I would go with a creamier white if I didn't like the stark white look.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• boymom23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Breezygirl, I LOVE your kitchen! It's just gorgeous! Yes, I felt the same way, for the most part, in the showroom. Some of the glazes were dirty looking. I think I'm going to go with creamy white perimeter cabinets and a gray island! :)

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I echo everything breezy said. Also, I worried about the "stark" aspect of my white cabinets, but I love them. They are bright and clean to me.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@southernmum - have you considered going with a creamy white or ivory, instead of white white?

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Some glazes are very well done and not dirty looking.

• kks_mom
    11 years ago

@southernmum, I'm thinking of doing the same, white perimeter and grey island. Do you have any pics you could post? I'm not finding much online.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Ditto breezygirl too. Brought a sample home and dh said "no way, it looks dirty!" I love my white, although I love creamy white (no glaze) too. Depends on your house style and your colors and paint choices. Good luck!

• laceylynn3
    11 years ago

@suthernmum, we must be leading parallel lives. What did you decide with the cabinets? I'm trying to decide the exact same thing.

• quiltgirl
    11 years ago

Just saw a kitchen display yesterday that was accented very lightly with a glaze. I really liked it. The salesperson said that it is not heavy like a traditional glaze, but is called a "wash". It just gave the cabinets a warm soft look without being much. I took some pictures, but will have to download them to here later today.