Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it difficult to maintain glass subway tile backsplash?

Posted by chriskakev (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 22, 11 at 1:59

After MUCH time, worry and indecision, I am ready to choose my matte glass backsplash, But before I actually order it, I was warned by a friend that they may be a "nightmare" to maintain and keep clean. If any of you out there have glass subway tiles as your backsplash, please let me know how difficult is it to keep them clean and how often you need to wipe them down. Will I constantly need to wipe them off so that they look good? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it difficult to maintain glass subway tile backsplash?

I don't have a glass backsplash, but I do have a mosaic tile that is in my shower and floor. I haven't had any problems keeping either clean, BUT the glass is a dark brown- think dark emperor marble. In my mind the biggest factor would be color choice. If you choose a light glass tile then it may require more upkeep than a darker or more colorful tile. Also, don't use anything abrasive to clean it.

I'll try to post a picture later.

Good luck!

o

We have a glass tile backsplash; a mix of glossy and matte strips. We don't find it difficult to clean or keep looking good. I rarely need to wipe the splash, except for over the range. I usually use a microfiber or paper towel and whatever spray I happen to be using at the time (alcohol-water mixture, Perfect Kitchen or Perfect Glass...).

It takes more work to clean the tile (and white grout) just above the back vent/trim on our gas range, which it likely would with any light-colored tile. When I roast a chicken for example, using high heat and convection fan, I usually need to clean the splash over the range (I'm guessing vented cooking grease and/or high heat causes the discoloration we see). I've used Oxyclean, STT's HD-Clean, Dawn Power Dissolver, and even BKF, without harming the tile (no scratches). Of course, you might want to test any cleaning products on sample or leftover tile if you're unsure if it will cause any damage.

I personally think it's very low-maintenance and love the look!

o

Our kitchen isn't finished, but we have specified 3/4" by 1-1/2" glass subway tile. We were concerned more about cleaning the grout than the tile itself since glass should be easy to clean. Our contractor will be using epoxy grout. Labor intensive and expensive, but easy to clean.

o

Hi there. I love using glass backsplash tiles and my clients have been very happy with them. The glass is very easy to clean, it's the grout you have to worry about!

The advice I give on my website, which centers around the maintenance of them is that the smaller mosaics require more grout. Therefore, I would go with at least 2" x 4" tiles, preferably larger.

If you must go with the smaller tiles, make sure that you use a darker grout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Backsplash Ideas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here