Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drbeanie2000_gw

What are the differences in sinks?

drbeanie2000
12 years ago

I'm not talking single sink vs double sink, I'm just mystified that some people seem to be in love with their sinks. What made you guys in love with your sink? What would make one sink better than another? Right now I have what I would uess is a cheapo stainless steel sink, but it works fine, in the sense of what I need my sink to do, which is to drain pasta, and to drain water when I have washed my dishes.

Comments (12)

• colorfast
    12 years ago

If there was something we hated in our old kitchen and then we remodel, we appreciate the new items so much more.

If you are happy with stainless steel and are remodeling, then go with that again. However, if you get a better gauge steel, it will scratch less and there is less of that drumming sound when the water is running.

I like my new Silgranit sink, but my favorite thing would be my new faucet and especially the sturdy sprayer (KWC).

• plllog
    12 years ago

I love my sink. I think what it is with the sink love is that in something as function heavy as a kitchen there are some things that are fine, they pretty much do what they're supposed to do, there are some that are pretty great, but then there are things that are just wonderful. Those last ones are the ones that earn the L-word.

I kind of fell in love with my faucet when I found it in the high end plumbing supply store. Igloochic convinced me that there was value for the money, and the plumbers I spoke to backed that up. The master plumber who installed it marveled because the retractor actually retracts the way it should. He said he never sees that. But while I really like my faucet, and think it's great, and find it very comfortable to use and easy to look at, it's a "fell in love with", but not an "I love it!". It's the middle kind. My DW is okay, compared to fine, pretty great and L-word, if this were a six point Likert scale with poor and hate on the bottom. My prep sink is fine.

I love my big sink. I love the square side that's just so. I love the offset drain. I love the round side that's big and deep enough for my stock pots. I love the glossy white surface. I love the deck area that gives me a place for a wet sponge or a spoon. I love the grate that fits thisaway in the round side and thataway in the square side so much I bought a couple of spares from the discount store. I love the cast iron that retains heat once it's warmed. I love the flat bottom and straight sides, though I don't love that I have to chase little bits round the sink because of the lack of slope. The only thing I've ever broken in it is the saucer from a plant that stuck to the bottom when I lifted the plant then fell off into the sink before I noticed. That didn't break too much, so I've saved it for a friend who makes things from broken crockery. I also managed to scratch it, which surprised me, but I'd rather use than baby it even though it can't be replaced (tiled in--there for the long haul) I love the way I can set a dish to soak here and a pot to scrub there. I love my sink. I've listed the ways, though not as nicely as EBB. Does that actually help?

I think it's really that one loves the things that are beyond one's imaginings of how they will be. It'll be a different thing for different people.

• LMM170
    12 years ago

I have always had a double bowl sink. I was a out to remodel my kitchen and saw some interesting posts on Garden Web about this sink guru, Dino Rachiele. I have to admit, I was set on getting a double sink until I spoke with him. He pointed out some very compelling points that I had never thought of. Long story, short... I am the happy owner of a single bowl sink with a right rear drain. Not only can I use it like my old double sink, but I can wash my cookie sheets while fully inside the sink. Even my refrigerator glass shelving fits! I could never have understood the significance of his design until I used the sink. I am so grateful. Thank you Gardenwebbers! I would never have found him without you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Single verses double bowl sinks

• Linda
    12 years ago

Please share the love plllog! What kind of sink & faucet?

As to the original OP question, I'm also still searching for this remodel, but based on the last, the two minimum requirements would be deep (10") and large single bowl.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

I too love my sink. As Plllog said, part of the love is a result of moving from a (for me) not very functional to super functional sink. I got a Silgranite top mount (can be converted to undermount) offset rear drain single sink in Anthracite. It replaced a good quality but loathed shallow twin bowl stainless. Twin bowls meant neither one was large enough, the stainless always looked dirty, it was cold, it was too small, it had a ridge around the deck edge that kept anything from setting evenly, and a big ring around the side sprayer that was permanent even if I got rid of the side sprayer. It was too small to ever be useful.

My new sink is deep deep enough to put my pressure canner or largest stockpot into for filling or washing. My large sheet or greasy broiler pans fit completely in the sink for washing or scrubbing. It is large enough to hold an entire DW load of dirty dishes after a party. In the summer, I can easily clean armloads of veggies from my garden in the sink. The Silgranit material doesn't show water spots or even look dirty. The sturdy sink grid gives me another place to drain things. The rear offset drain give me tons more room under the sink cabinet. It came with a deep stainless strainer basket that catches gunk and goes in the DW. It is smooth and silky to the touch, and warms quickly and stays warm. It looks great. I LOVE my sink.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Ditto everything mabeldingeldine said. (We have the same sink). The best thing about it is the size. Everything else is awesome- the fact that you can force all the remnants to the far right instead of trying to funnel them to the middle drain. Dishes can stack on the right and wash on the left or vice versa. Honestly, the best thing is the size though because it can function like a double sink or a small bathtub :)

• Bobby99
    12 years ago

Colorfast explained it for me: my last sink was scratched and stained, and no matter how much I cleaned it, it always looked dirty. We had to treat it with kid gloves and it still looked bad. It was a constant source of irritation and frustration.

My new sink I can treat badly - like leave a pot in it overnight, imagine! - wipe with a sponge, and it looks new again. It makes cleaning gratifying.

• drbeanie2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I understand better now, and you brought up points I hadn't considered.

• mamadadapaige
    12 years ago

I too want to know what plllog has!!

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

My old sink was the cheapo stainless steel, that felt tinny when a pot was banged against it. It was a double bowl, and neither was big enough to do anything with. I was always splashing water out and all over me. I couldn't wait to get rid of that thing.

The new sink is a single bowl apron sink made of marble and soapstone. It's big enough to wash the biggest items I've got in my kitchen without splashing water everywhere. The soapstone base is so gently sloped that a few minutes after having water in it, every drop has gone down the drain and the soapstone is dry (genius!). It's a thing of beauty, but I don't baby it, and it's standing up well to getting banged with cast iron, and every other bit of abuse one can throw at it. It's the center of my kitchen and everyone oohs and aaahs over it, including myself. I find myself standing against it when company is over, gently rubbing my hand across the softness of the stone....... That. That is sink love!

• drbeanie2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am getting more interested in these Silgranit sinks so many people talk about. One thing I'm curious about: I had a cast-iron enameled farmhouse sink at my last place, and one side was really deep. Whenever I accidentally dropped something, it was so hard that it immediately shattered. Are the Silgranit sinks very hard? I know they are not 100% granite, but this is an issue I would be concerned about.

• cj47
    12 years ago

drbeanie2000, I have had my silgranit sinks for about a year and a half and have yet to break anything in them, however I do have the grates in the bottom, which keep anything I drop from smashing there. And to keep it on topic--yes, I also love my sinks. I agree that part of it is just having something that works so well after having something that worked so badly for many years. The Silgranit is great, though--easy to clean, doesn't stain, you don't have to baby it. And I'm really glad I bought the grates. I wasn't sure at the time, but it turned out to be a good thing.

Cj

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm