Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phorbin

End is Near!!! (Pic Heavy) creamy, inset, timeless kitchen

phorbin
12 years ago

I never thought it would ever get to this point. It was well worth the wait. I would like to thank everyone here at GW. You folks know some stuff!!! Kateskouros your kitchen photos were my inspiration.

the wife and i bought our dream house. It is a raised basement craftsman style house. It was built in 1917.

before

so we knock down a few walls and add a few things.....

custom built cabinets

honed alabama white

waterstone faucets

kohler farmhouse and bar sink

pulls, latches, hinges, transom hardware from Ricca's in New Orleans

fridge handles from schaub

bar and pantry handles from Ricca's

36" Bertazonni Heritage Range Cream H366GGVCR

42" Jenn-Air French door Fridg JF42NXFXDW

27" Jenn-Air Electric Oven JJW2327WS

Miele Dishwasher MG2872SCVi

15" Marvel wine fridge 30WCMBBOR

15" Marvel ice machine 30iMTBBOLP

24" Marvel undercounter fridg 61ARMWWOL

Broan 900 cfm hood vent

Sherwin williams paint used

Cabinets painted to match stove

ceilings: creamy SW7012

Walls: white hyacinth SW0046

trim: classic light buff SW0050

floors are oak with jacobean

custom made air vents for fridge

led strip lighting above and below cabs

view from front porch

if anyone remembers i was the one with the chipped marble during the install. i will do a follow up in that post.

Comments (58)

• elba1
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It all looks really great - congrats to you!

• mamadadapaige
    12 years ago

I love it. I love your combo of stained and painted wood. All the natural light coming in. Your hood is so pretty - how did you achieve that look? I really like what you did for the refrigerator ventilation panel... very vintage and fitting.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

What a lovely, lovely kitchen! So much space, so many nice details. Enjoy!

• eandhl
    12 years ago

Beautiful kit, enjoy working in it.

• enduring
    12 years ago

I really think it is beautiful. The original didn't look too bad either. Do you have a floor plan of before and after you could post? I would love to see the wall changes. Thanks.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!! What a great way to start the new year!! Enjoy!

• babs711
    12 years ago

We're practically neighbors!! We're building in Lakeview right around the corner! Your kitchen turned out lovely! Your house is precious!! I've not made the trip to Ricca's yet. Can you tell me more about it? Is it huge? How are the prices? I love your home!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

To tell you the truth, I liked the old kitchen; but I really love the new one. If I had a bigger house, I would copy this kitchen! Beautiful, sigh.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Very nice! Congrats on (nearly) finishing. I'm a sucker for marble and yours is stunning. Enjoy your beautiful new space!

• sayde
    12 years ago

Great job! Your marble is really pretty -- looks a lot like Danby.

Love the refrigerator installation and all the attention to detail throughout. The Berta looks great with the painted-to-match cabinets, and the mix of wood, white, marble is so nice.

Enjoy!

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

what a gorgeous kitchen! the cabinetry looks spot on and i too love the berta. what a fun time you'll have cooking on that! and the color looks very good -which is sometimes hard to pull off (as i'm sure you are aware!).

good luck and enjoy!

• rosie
    12 years ago

Congrats, Phorbin, both you guys with your dream home and to your grand old house's newest life.

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

Oh, la la! Stunning kitchen!! All the unfitted elements are beautiful together. A great example of why folks shouldn't be afraid of combining creams and whites.

Will be the inspiration for many future cream Bertas!!

Enjoy living and cooking in your lovely new space.

• breadandsuch
    12 years ago

Truly breathtaking. That is some of the most beautiful marble that i have seen.

• xoldtimecarpenter
    12 years ago

That is one great kitchen; creative, innovative, with enough asymmetry to keep it interesting but enough consistency to keep it connected. It fits the house perfectly.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Perfect, gorgeous. My kinda color palette! Haagen Dazs vanilla and whipped cream.

You are going to inspire a lot of cream kitchens now.

Enjoy

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love how you made it an unfitted look and mixed in the wood pieces. It looks like it evolved and was not a one day purchase. The counters are gorgeous!

Any chance you salvaged the original deco liner tile? When I first got to that pic, I did not realize it was a before because the tile was so nice... I am also jealous of the floor tile because that same pattern was installed poorly in our family bathroom. Yours had perfectly even rows and didn't seem to undulate like ours does, lol. The p.o.s picked a good pattern but had poor execution.... It was their closest shot at nice in the whole house.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

BEEEautiful!! Love the rich, creamy color... ALmost edible. Makes it all so elegant, too. I love the floors, too. The hidden fridge is great. Very nice job!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Oooh, a creamy dream! I am in love with your transoms, doors, and trim work! Your Berta, your latches, THAT stone--everything just makes me *sigh*. :^)

BEAUTIFUL kitchen! You will enjoy this for many, many years! Congrats!

• mastiffmom_85
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love that you mixed the white with the cream, love your marble (I'm a sucker for marble), and that Berta is *gorgeous*.

Congrats, it really is a lovely space.

~ MM

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

As others have said-gorgeous!! I have a question about those custom panels venting above the refrigerator. I also installed a JA built in and we have had a major issue with the front panel--in fact a year after the project was finished I still have a gap there. As you seem to have discovered, if a full panel is installed over the compressor, the area overheats quickly.

So...can you tell me about that custom designed panel??? Did your cabinetmaker do it? You? Someone else? I really need to figure out something because I swore on New Year's I would finally get that *#&$^ refrigerator gap covered.

Thanks,
    Ann

• BalTra
    12 years ago

NOLA!
    NOLA!
    Lucky you -- and the kitchen is so very beautiful and, even more cool, fitting for where you live.

• threegraces
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! I need to go back and look at every picture more closely. Can you tell me about your Kohler sink? I'm considering the Kohler Whitehaven. Is that what you used?

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. Enjoy cooking in this heavenly cream dream!

• babs711
    12 years ago

Bump

• phorbin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry i am so late in responding. I hate moving!!!! where did all this junk come from? Didn't i lose everything in Katrina 6 years ago?

i want to thank everyone for the kind post. I am so happy with the final results.

to answer a few questions:

the hood was made with 2x4's and sheetrock. we wrapped the hood with an old pine 2x4 that was salvaged from an old shotgun house that was being redone. I think it gives it a rustic look.

Riccas is a great place. you will spend hours in there looking at all the old salvaged stuff. I found the hardware to be of good quality and the prices were cheaper than i could find on line.

the sink is a whitehaven K-6488.

the fridge panel was made by the cabinet maker. I got the idea from the laundry door in the bath room

we just made a frame, attached the fridge brackets, and screwed on the sheets. i found the sheets at lowes. before they were painted they looked a little wavey. it does not have that wavy look now that its painted. If you were going to do this and so for a stainless look you would need to get a fabricator to make it because the sheets at lowes were thin. there is also a one by on the bottom so you cant see in when the doors are open. here are some more pics

thanks again everyone. i will try to answer a few more questions inbetween moving. and i still need to do a follow up on the chip during install.

• babs711
    12 years ago

Hey, where did you find your Alabama White? I've been to two stone yards and have't seen it yet. I've seen all the regular marbles as well as White Venetino (which I liked). But I've always liked Alabama marble in the GW pics. I just haven't seen it locally.

I said that same thing when we moved into our temporary 1100 square foot house we're in now while we're building! We lost nearly everything in Katrina...where did all this stuff come from?? Haha! Thanks again!

• phorbin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

triton stone in new orleans. they had polished alabama white, and special ordered the honed for me. i just looked at there website and it looks like they have it in stock

• catperson
    12 years ago

Lovely kitchen, and I love your city!!

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

How did I miss this kitchen????? Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Katekouros kitchen has been my inspiration for months along with a kitchen in the Woman's Day Kitchens & Baths magazine from November/December 2010. The mix of stained wood and painted cabinets warms my soul. You did a beautiful job.

I am sorry to read of your loss during Katrina.

• nini804
    12 years ago

I also wondered how I missed this! Glorious! It looks so, well,basically just perfect for your lovely home! Hope you had a fun Mardi Gras! NOLA is one of my most favorite cities...I really think it is the most fascinating city in the US!

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Your kitchen and your house made my heart go pitter patter. I love it. So well done.

Where can I see pics of Kate's kitchen too?

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Well, there's an awful lot that's gorgeous there, but I'm focused on seeming trivia -- the faucet. I've come to feel that if the kitchen is the heart of a home, the faucet is its pacemaker.

And that's the faucet I *really* wanted! Worked best, looks nice -- so perfect-seeming. Course, what I chose seemed pretty fine too, but I've wound up not so happy with either. So I've been wondering, wondering about this one, my money-is-no-object-first-choice. I hope you'll report on whether it continues to be as smooth-butter perfect as in the store. It looks lovely.

As does all the rest. I'm so happy that NOLA is having people build back in the manner it deserves. We visited there long long ago and I was shocked to be visiting what felt like a foreign country. It's so different from anywhere else I've been in the US.

Thanks for restoring and refining such beauty.

• phorbin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

aliris we love the faucet too!!! It works very well so far.

and you need to come visit NOLA soon. That goes for all of you. Its good for the soul.

• jacks3953
    12 years ago

I have to say this is my absolute favorite kitchen on this site, but Breezygirl, yours makes my heart skip a beat as well. You are all so talented at pulling things together. That's why some of us are hanging on your every detail. We are hoping for a similar look, of course. My interest is in your tile and grout color, as someone else mentioned. I know you are a busy person, but when you get time, please fill us in. You are so lucky to move around this space everyday for many, many years. It's GORGE!

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

I believe the word I am looking for for your kitchen is "sweet". Something so soft and unassuming yet completely inviting and comfortable. You are so lucky to have ALL THOSE WINDOWS!!!

Congratulations and enjoy your new life post-Katrina sounds like you have been through a lot and time to revel in your rebuild.

• michelle16
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! i have a question on how you got th walnut pantry to match to the painted frig, as far as crown mold, is concerned.Are the units diff heights? I want to have my built in frig in either a walnut or grey on one side and the same size pantry at end(in same color) with white cab inbetween.The designer is telling me I would have to stagger it that the crowns don't look good adjoining with two colors.I am agonizing over this and have to make a decision.I really don't want to stagger.Worse case senario I'll have to make th eisland the grey or walnut and everything else white, but I was inspired by yours and katekouros kitchen,Any thoughts anyone??Tks, Michelle

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous, and looks like it's been there since the house was built. Love, love, love the fireplace in there.

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

Can you tell me the subway tile and color grout you used? Thanks!

• sanjuangirl
    12 years ago

Just say the word and I'll be by for some home cooked Gumbo! I'd love to sit myself down and visit in your magnificent new kitchen! It's a wow all the way around. The Berta is soooo pretty! The cream color is inviting. Enjoy yourselves! I live in California but come to LA often as my daddy lives on the Bayou Teche. Congratulations on rising up from Katrina!

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Gorgeous Kitchen! Congrats!!! : )

• babs711
    12 years ago

So how is living with the marble on a daily basis? I've been to Triton, The Stone Gallery and am heading to Tuscan next. Still love your kitchen!!

• Ilene Perl
    12 years ago

It's beautiful!

• theresse
    12 years ago

While I love it ALL, here's what I love the most:

- the incorporation of rich medium-colored wood free-standing furniture and the brick on the fireplace...both make it extra timeless and while most of us try to make our cabinets have the furniture look, you brought it right on in. Love that.

- the air vents!

- love the latches.

- the cream color is really super cream and not just white or off-white. It's refreshing and uplifting yet subtle and classy...and it makes me smell flapjacks and melted butter with maple syrup for some reason! ;)

- love how your glass looks wavy!

God...great job! I'll try not to go into my closet of a kitchen for a day or two. : - /

• total_remodel
    11 years ago

Very pretty kitchen in a very interesting city! Love your hood. Would you mind posting a pic of it with a front view. The side view is just a tease lol.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Beautiful and so fun to see the entire thing - I think you posted on my earlier Alabama White thread. Yours looks so much like mine and I love it!!!!

• farmgirlinky
    11 years ago

really lovely work, I could live in that room
    Lynn

• ratrem
    11 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen, true to the time period and done very well. Enjoy the new space!

• ginger25
    11 years ago

What type of wood and stain is your cabinet? Beautiful kitchen.

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Oh where to start...it's all so beautiful.
    Enjoy!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022