Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Very. Late. Reveal. Small, rustic, white oak kitchen. Pic Heavy

deedles
9 years ago

Well, hopefully some of you even remember me since this reveal is SO LATE in coming. I do apologize but here it finally is. Actually just finished the last thing yesterday, which was holding up the whole show. Funny how you can complete 98% in months and then that last 2% takes forever.

So, this kitchen is about 11x19ish with 3 doorways and had to provide room for a small dining table since we have no dining room in this little house. The kitchen opens directly on to the living room, so it had to 'flow'. We chose cork floors for the main living areas rather than chop up the space visually with different flooring. It is a small-ish kitchen with restrictions however, I love to cook in here since it's been all GW'd and organized. I barely have to step away from my prep area and that is just so nice.

Note: the plastic in the openings and doorway blocks off the cold yet-to-be-remodeled 4 season porch (hopefully this year!). The openings may get glass and some shelves but this is TBD.

Well anyway, here is the before pic from the realtor listing:
{{gwi:2135124}}

LOW ceiling, wall o' rock, sticky everything, generally 1974 gaa-roovy!

So, after much, much help from my GW friends (seriously, I owe all you guys so much gratitude for your help and encouragement. This is a wonderful place with wonderful people) here is the end product.

{{gwi:2135125}}
{{gwi:2135126}}
{{gwi:2135127}}
{{gwi:2135128}}
{{gwi:2135129}}
{{gwi:2135130}}
{{gwi:2135131}}
{{gwi:2135132}}
{{gwi:2135133}}
{{gwi:2135134}}

Here are some specifics:
36" base left of stove
{{gwi:2135135}}
top drawer
{{gwi:2135136}}
2nd drawer
{{gwi:2135137}}
And a hidden drawer! Love this!
{{gwi:2135138}}
{{gwi:2135139}}
Bottom drawer, nice and deep
{{gwi:2135140}}:
One more hidden drawer in the toekick!
{{gwi:2135141}}
Moving to the right the custom tile backsplash above The Big Girl (our vintage green Chambers stove, so named by a GW friend):
{{gwi:2135142}}
{{gwi:2135143}}
{{gwi:2135144}}
{{gwi:2135145}}
Here's my little match bird. DH gave this to me when we were dating and I think she fits in perfectly with the tile:
{{gwi:2135146}}
And for good measure two more of my favorite indoor birds:
{{gwi:2135147}}
Custom range hood nicely done by my brave cabinetmaker who didn't know what he got himself into when he met my bad GW self:
{{gwi:2135148}}
{{gwi:2135128}}
Next cabinet for anything that can cut off an appendage:
{{gwi:2135149}}
{{gwi:2135150}}
{{gwi:2135151}}
In the toekick of this cab, the cabinet guy cut a vent for the heat duct... smart idea!
{{gwi:2135152}}
Also, snuck a skinny open shelf for cutting boards and cookie sheets in the corner relief space:
{{gwi:2135153}}
Turning the corner is my surprise cabinet, which holds prep tools and bowls/colanders, wraps/baggies, etc (love those Lee Valley divider thingees):
{{gwi:2135154}}
{{gwi:2135155}}
{{gwi:2135156}}
And the surprise:
{{gwi:2135125}}
{{gwi:2135157}}
{{gwi:2135158}}
Hidden storage for lesser used items:
{{gwi:2135159}}
In trying to have wide drawers but lose no corner space, the rolling island was a Houzz idea that I found to be a clever solution when paired with the pull-out sideways drawers. That was a GW idea that I shamelessly borrowed. That island cab is 24" wide and I wasn't sure how handy it would be as a work space, but after going through Thanksgiving and Christmas... did that ever help to be able to use that extra counter space.

Okay, next is the sink cabinet and more drawers here, too. Thanks for this idea, too, GW. The sink is a Rachiele copper sink with an applied patina on the front.
{{gwi:2135132}}
{{gwi:2135160}}
{{gwi:2135161}}

This perforated copper shelf is a great idea by Dino Rachiele. It's hardly ever out of the sink since it is so handy for so many things and it defrosts things lickety split, too.
{{gwi:2135162}}

Sink drawers:
{{gwi:2135163}}
{{gwi:2135164}}
Next to the sink is the 12" trash pullout and the silverware drawer. (chorus of eeewww's I'm sure. To date, there has been no trash found to have crawled up into the silverware drawer):
{{gwi:2135165}}
{{gwi:2135166}}
Coupla hidey shelves in the back of the trash cab:
{{gwi:2135167}}
You can see the DW to the right of this cab. It is an Asko that I found for a killer price in the scratch and dent room. I hope it can stand up to our hard water!
The last base cab holds our vitamins and then all the plastic and glass containers. Seriously considering that I own too many plastic containers.
{{gwi:2135168}}
And it has a little toekick that it just right for my glass cake pans:
{{gwi:2135169}}

So, hopefully this isn't too long and boring but I'm not done yet.
:/

There are only two upper cabs, but they're 45" tall and it is so nice to have that upper shelf for more small kitchen storage. In the left cab is my cookbook nook and the right cab has open shelves for our coffee cups and bowls, and then I just love the divided platter storage (another GW idea).
{{gwi:2135134}}
{{gwi:2135170}}
{{gwi:2135171}}

Close-up of the cabinet knobs that I found on Etsy:
{{gwi:2135172}}

In my quest for any and all storage options, I swiped this pantry idea from a GW'er who built between the studs shallow cabinets. This cab is just deep enough for 2 deep soup cans. It's surprising how much a little space like this holds.
{{gwi:2135173}}
{{gwi:2135174}}
The stained glass window is one of 3 that DH got for 5 bucks at an auction years before I knew him. Man's got good taste.

{{gwi:2135175}}
{{gwi:2135176}}

Now we have the Craigslist SZ sxs fridge. Super duper even if it's 20+ years old. The panels are plain 1/4" wafer board as I haven't been able to think of anything nifty for panels that wouldn't be gilding the lily, so to speak. Have actually had a few compliments so maybe they can stay for awhile.

The open cab over the fridge may get a door made someday. So far the dust/grease factor hasn't been bad at all and I do like looking at my Mother's old bread bowl.

{{gwi:2135177}}

Next to the fridge is another shallow pantry.. mostly for baking items and my KA mixer. In this small kitchen, we tried to not have too much door swing so the barn glides were perfect.
{{gwi:2135178}}

{{gwi:2135179}}
{{gwi:2135180}}
{{gwi:2135181}}

Close-up of the Bradbury paper over the pantry:
{{gwi:2135182}}
src="http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo182/ndeedles/pantry8_zps2460be8d.jpg" border="0" alt="P3 photo pantry8_zps2460be8d.jpg"/>
{{gwi:2135183}}

And then next to the sliding pantry door area is a little bar cabinet:
{{gwi:2135184}}

I had this rummage sale light for years with no where to put it... now it has a home above the bar cabinet.
{{gwi:2135185}}

Used up some left-over pebble tile for the bar cab top:
{{gwi:2135186}}

As far as the other lighting, the ceiling fixtures were vintage finds on Ebay
{{gwi:2135187}}
and the sink light I honestly can't remember where I found it online.
{{gwi:2135188}}
{{gwi:2135189}}
The two LED light fixtures on either side of the range hood came from Home Depot and really illuminate the counters very well.
{{gwi:2135190}}
{{gwi:2135191}}
Under the two cabs are a couple inexpensive flourescent fixtures from Mendards. Nothing fancy but they do what they are supposed to do.

So, I guess that's about all. It was about a 3 year process and thank goodness because what I thought I would have for a kitchen (pre-GW) would have been a shame compared to what I have now (post GW) if I had rushed.

Some closing particulars:

Cabinets: white oak plank sawn by DH, built custom by a local guy that knows a lot more about cabinets than he did before this kitchen, ha! He did a good job and really tried to do everything I asked. His price was ridiculously low and I count my blessings every time I look at cabinet pricing.
Countertop, backsplash and integral shelves: Wilsonart solid surface. Snow-something is the name. I think. Anyway, I love it. A fan of sink runnels, too.
Tile: Weaver tile in Michigan. Couldn't have dealt with a nicer man. Love his beautiful tile and it was this tile that finally solidified where I was trying to go with the surface design.
Cabinet pulls: Oak pulls from Nice Knobs! Very happy with these, sturdy and beautiful.
Cork flooring: Jelinik cork out of Canada.
Kitchen sink: Rachiele copper sinks.
Faucet: Ruvati, purchased from Overstock. Wonderful, well-made faucet.
DW: ASKO 3 rack model.
Hood insert: TradeWind (thanks trailrunner). Could only make the 440 CFM work with the roof bracing/vent pipe issue, but even this model works so well that we're very happy with it.
Sink window shade: Delia Shades. Very quality product. Rather tooth-pulling-ish to actually get my order made.
Paint: Walls and shallow pantry cabinet, Sherwin Williams Creamy

Oh. I think my dog matches my kitchen, too.

{{gwi:2135192}}

Thanks for looking!

Comments (137)

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh deedless, I've been waiting until I could see these pictures on my big screen - what a fantastic kitchen,love it!!!!!

Great reveal too, love the pictures and commentary along the way. Your stove, hood, and incredible backsplash are my favorites, but that surprise corner just blew me away!

(Said in a hushed British accent) And the bar for new kitchen reveals is set at an appallingly height... other revealers for the week are cursing Deedles and DH.

• leela4
    9 years ago

Beautiful. I love how you kept true to your vision - your lovely sink; The Big Girl - and it's been worth the wait to see it all come together.( I thought I'd missed it!)

But I REALLy love the corner cabinet.
    And the tiles.
    Oh, and the sink.
    Yes, and the range.

Enjoy.

• heritagehd07
    9 years ago

Amazing kitchen. The stove is drool worthy and I have serious drawer envy.

9 years ago

Still thinking about your kitchen Deedles, and another poster summed it up perfectly: personal and customized without being idiosyncratic. I'm taking those words to our designer and trying to take a step back from the Houzz/magazine ideal.

Anyway, per your request, here's our OKM, with which we're quite smitten. The photo also shows a number of the reasons that we're working on a remodel.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

WOW Deedles! I was out of the country, glad I did not miss this reveal! Have been following your posts for a couple years now. This is truly a kitchen that tells me about the owner... I would love to come and cook or visit in those surroundings, first class all the way, enjoy and cheers to you for such a fine job! Chris :)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

OooooooOOoo.
    Gorgeous!
    In coloring, I see MCM. But you've got great rustic and Arts & Craftsy stuff going on.
    Speaking of the latter, that bar cabinet. It should be mine. Those inset doors are incredible.
    It's so nice to see a kitchen that definitely speaks the cooks character. Nothing cookie-cutter, nothing not well thought out.
    Just a great job. Every single detail!

Congrats on early retirement, too. More time to enjoy your kitchen!

• deedles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Ctdycm, Christine, Oldbat, Anne, leela and Local! Nice to see all you popping in and thank you for your nice comments. I have to say over the last few days that I remember how much I like being here with everyone and staying in the forum in the future is a must-do. There are just too many great people here.

Avatarwalt, wow. what a beautiful stove. Shall we call him Big Boy? Fabulous.. whoa does it feel like a gorgeous kitchen can emerge from around that guy. Does everything work? Was that you in another thread about a timer problem?

Goodness, you have to stay on here during your redo process so I can watch the whole thing!

• magsnj
    9 years ago

It's like no one elses kitchen, and I mean that in the nicest way!! What a FANTASTIC space. I wish I had been brave enough to have an old stove. Your choices are really lovely and it looks like an absolute joy to work in. Definitely a great example of someone who put a lot of thought into what they wanted/needed for function, and then made thoughtful design choices to create something that would make them happy. Very well executed, and it's so nice to see something that works, but doesn't have to be cookie cutter. This is a total Julia Childs type of kitchen (not in style, but in the same way that you could tell that woman knew who she was as a cook and made sure the kitchen supported it).

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Deedles
    I bet that Big Girl won't have an MDL circuit error or porcelain chipping.
    Mag - well said. Just love deedles new kitchen

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Deedles

I hope you don't mind me posting link to your thread on bathroom forum - reference to your 'pebble' floor & bar...(here)

You did fantastic job. Not one inch of wasted space. Attention to detail, respect for new AND old (little bit of wabi-sabi).
    You and your husband are great team.
    Rina

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Sometimes even Google can't find a post! They really do disappear. I was looking for this reveal and the only way I finally found it & my way back here was from a link on boardreader!

Deedles - Just have to add a few things, like your hood, stove and back splash are positively divine. I think you are a genius for forgoing the subways & whatnot because the stove has its own back splash already and your Weaver Tiles just make me so happy. If I wasn't so close to the finish line myself, I'd completely redesign my kitchen so I could have a pantry/wet bar like yours. Applause, applause.

• deedles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey onedog! Thanks for the nice words. I do like the pantry/bar area... it was really the only thing that worked in this little area.

• baltomom_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I love your Chambers. I have an antique stove (can't remember the name, offhand, but I can't remember much these days!) sitting in my garage, waiting for our retirement home because it's gas, and our current house has only electricity! So I'm green with envy at your green beauty!

One question: where did you get the barn door hardware? What brand is it? I've been looking for something like that for my bathroom, but they are so, so expensive.

Thanks! And enjoy your beautiful kitchen and your retirement!

• three3apples
    9 years ago

This is so completely opposite of my kitchen and my style of decorating, but part of me is envious for the personality shown in your kitchen. You did a really fabulous job and the end result is so interesting and unique. Congratulations!

• deedles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

baltomom: DH found it on Ebay, search barn door hardware, it's all over the place for about 100.00 for a six footer.

Oh thing: make sure you don't have mice building nests in the insulation of your old stove. DH had a different old stove years ago in the garage and it was full of mice remnants in the insulation. Yuck.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Deedles, every time I look at the pictures i see something different. This time, admiring the stained glass in the pantry and in awe that your DH bought it and it survived all this time and it found a place, I have to ask, top shelf on the right, what in the world is Tactical Bacon?!

This post was edited by bpathome on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 10:49

• deedles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bpathome: HA! Finally someone said something. I was wondering if anyone would comment on the tactical bacon. DSS gave it to DH in a Christmas present a few years ago. Canned bacon. Not sure what makes it tactical. DH thinks it's a hoot so there it is.

That stained glass has been all over the country since DH's father (God rest his soul) gave the windows away to a family member years ago (DH had it stored in his Dad's attic) not remembering that it wasn't his to give. It ended up in another part of Wisconsin, then went to Arizona for 10 years and then moved to South Carolina where DH's sister didn't have a place for it and asked DH if he wanted it back. So, a couple years ago we had it shipped back here. All's well that ends well, right?

• bpath
    9 years ago

Amazon.com :
    "Its Tactical Bacon in a can. Fully cooked and fully prepared. 10+ year shelf life. Perfect for camping, hunting, zombie standoffs, end of the world scenarios etc."

And you haven't eaten it yet? Are you waiting for its 10 year anniversary, or the zombies? Come on, it's bacon!

• bpath
    9 years ago

I'm also admiring the Bradbury paper, very Rookwood-esque, I was thinking, then I looked it up and noticed the same pattern is available in a color way called Rookwood. I love yours, though, especially with the up lighting. Ethereal. Romantic.

• deedles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine is the Rookwood colorway. Kinda hard to tell I guess.

Maybe we'll have to try the tactical bacon since we have 2 cans. If we do, I'll let you know.

Hey, thanks for hanging out in my kitchen, bpath :) You're welcome anytime!

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Bravo Deedles and Mr. Deedles! What a wonderful kitchen the two of you have created together. I love to see a kitchen like this that takes so many personal items and ideas and works them into a beautiful, cohesive whole. I had to show DH this reveal because it was so chock full of noteworthy elements. This kitchen was worth the wait. : )

• bpath
    9 years ago

It was hard to tell. In the lighting of your picture I was swooning over, it looked like the Birchwood. Both lovely! So nice how it echos the Weaver tile, and the ceiling, too.

Have you shown your reveal to the Weaver Tile fellow? I know he'd love to see it!

Every now and then DH walks by and says "are you looking at that kitchen a-GAIN?"

• deedles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, those DH's are so funny the way they don't get us.

I will send this pic to the Weaver tile guy, thanks for reminding me. I told him I would and I haven't.

Just fell in love with the Bradbury paper when I first saw it. And, they sent me 6 feet more than I ordered. I called and told them and they said to enjoy all the extra. A friend has a darling cottage on a lake, very homey and rustic so I gave her the extra 6 feet to use in the boathouse.

• CathyShoe
    9 years ago

I have been coming back to all your photos since it was posted. I love (like everyone else here) how you tucked all the cozy functional details in. Like the shelf over the barn door with the beautiful wallpaper detail behind it. I, too, have a Chambers range (I bought it on ebay-the same color and model my grandmother had). It's those details the make you sigh in happiness when you walk into your kitchen.

• hlove
    9 years ago

Wow. Just wow. This is probably one of my most favorite kitchen remodels. It has such distinct personality, is absolutely beautiful, and fits so seamlessly with the rest of your home. Thanks so much for sharing!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Bumping this for Lavender Lass. I hope you don't mind Deedles. Are all your pics here?

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

It's beautiful!!!! So many bits and pieces that I recognize from your photos...and each one lovely, but when all put together.....it's just beautiful :)

You should enter your kitchen in one of these online contests. It's charming, original, amazing....and whatever you do, keep the smiley face cup in the kitchen window. That just seems so you! Wonderful, Deedles, absolutely wonderful!

• camphappy
    9 years ago

Love it! So warm and inviting! I'm sure you love working and playing in it. :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Woah, this is is such an amazing, personable, functional, unique, and charming kitchen! Too many details to mention, but it all comes together so beautifully.

• shelayne
    9 years ago

deedles, I love it! It is just wonderful in every way and so very charming!

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Lovely warm kitchen and super space utilisation!

Deedles, would you be kind enough to post the inside dimensions of your drawers.

Many thanks

• inthetrees
    9 years ago

I realize this is an old thread, but, since its back.... I want to come to dinner at your house. Your kitchen seems like a really good cook designed it. And it looks great too!

• jmarino19
    9 years ago

Deedles. Wow! Functional, lovely, unique. So glad I checked GW tonight. Thank you.

• rebunky
    9 years ago

How on earth did I miss this! It's awesome! I love so many things...I'm...um...like...speechless. I'm going to have to go thru this whole thread again later to even begin to comprehend the amazingness. I know that is not a word, but it fits right? I will dream of Deedles kitchen tonight...sweet dreams.

• User
    8 years ago

Deedles, I checked your page and it states zone 5. Do you happen to be in NY? It's posts like this that attract customers looking for good installers and such. I wish more folks shared their good experiences like you!

• fldirt
    8 years ago

OMG…what a stunning kitchen & so many interesting features to it! Love the pull out cabinet…wish I had seen this before my kitchen remodel. What a clever idea to use in a blind corner. You truly have a one of a kind kitchen….

• aliris19
    8 years ago

Beautiful dog!

Kitchen's super-nice too.

Like, wow, is all I gotta say. Like, wow.

I hope you feel as proud as I feel awed. :)

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

I love it. I love it all. Ceiling???

• deedles (zone 4b or 5 depending on whom
    8 years ago

Hey, I didn't know this was still getting posts. No notice received. Just thought I'd look at it for old time's sake, :)

ILoveRed: the ceiling is knotty pine planks with a clear finish.

Sorry I didn't see the request for the drawer inner dimensions. You probably don't need it anymore I'm guessing.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Hey deedles, I think it was my doing. I recently linked to your reveal as one of my favorite GW kitchens. :)

Might as well post dimensions for anyone in the future stumbling upon your awesome kitchen!!!

At the very least for others I direct towards your reveal! ;)

• deedles (zone 4b or 5 depending on whom
    8 years ago

Hey texas, I will post drawer dimensions if you think it'd be helpful. I guess it would, that was a big question for me when trying to think things through. I still think that taking the GW advice of taking your stuff out and measuring the space they'll need is the best advice when choosing drawer sizes, though. That's what I finally did after I stared at others drawer dimensions for a few months, :)

• kksmama
    8 years ago

So I'm a year late in commenting but SO happy I got to see this amazing kitchen, thanks to the "best reveals" thread. I followed this with interest and worried a little, you seemed so ambitious in including a gazillion good ideas and I wasn't sure it would lead to a cohesive, attractive result. It is a stunning kitchen, full of beauty and functionality but it is more than that, you've infused it with depth and soul. Congratulations!

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Yay, Deedles! I'm so glad you've got that last bit finished and have posted a reveal. I was afraid you hadn't made the move to Houzz, or that I had someone missed it. You know I love your Big Girl stove and that ingenious pullout. Everything you've chosen is fabulous. Congratulations!!!

• golden_gardens
    8 years ago

Just wanted to thank you for posting pix in such detail. I'm trying to figure out how to do the various cabinets in my reno and this is a huge help!

• farmgirlinky
    7 years ago

amazing attention to detail and so worth it! it's clear that you love to cook, and have real appreciation for the materials you have chosen: the tactile experience is so important, I think. Fun, to see familiar names popping up in the responses. Enjoy this!

Lynn

• Catherine Z8-ish PNW
    7 years ago

I' so glad this came up after I delurked. I Love Everything! Wood handles, secret hidden spaces, copper door screening, wafer board frig door covers, tile stove backsplash, that! stove!, copper sink!!! Everything is tres oh-la-la! The best part is the history (his story!) of your little bird for stove matches.

Thank you!

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Such a beautiful kitchen! You sure do have a comfortable looking place!

• enduring
    6 years ago

I just saw in another thread, your kitchen referenced. I didn't know it was revealed. I am so happy to see it. I followed some of your threads over the years on this project. I love the kitchen. Thanks for sharing and hope that you are still in love with it since your posting 2.5 years ago :)

• A Mnook
    3 years ago

@deedles so sad the pictures no longer work?!? Sounds like a kitchen worth looking at.