Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Anyone in Mpls. St. Paul area done soapstone counters?

julieste
11 years ago

This is a large metro area and yet I can find only one yard that has any sort of selection at all. I read all of these other posts from people on the east coast and S.F. Bay area where there are lots of different places to choose soapstone.Just thought I'd check if anyone know of any local resources or even an hour or two over into Wisconsin. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• bcafe
    11 years ago

I believe there is a Midwest Stone and Tile in Mpls. They carry soapstone.

• bcafe
    11 years ago

I believe there is a Midwest Stone and Tile in Mpls. They carry soapstone.

Here is a link that might be useful: mpls link

This post was edited by bcafe on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 10:29

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

Terazzo and Marble supply in St. Louis Park (Sandburg Rd.) has soapstone. You can look at slabs online and it is really fun to go there and wander around the vast warehouse.

They have stone slabs of all kinds. Their company name is deceiving, as it certainly isn't just terazzo and marble. I just chose some marble for a bath reno that I never would have considered, but it stopped me in my tracks at their warehouse.

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oooooh, thanks so much! I was hoping there would be some people from the Twin Cities on this forum.

The only yard I had been able to find was Midwest Specialty Products out in Shakopee. They supposedly are the supplier to several of the local fabricators and two of them told me to go out there to see slabs. I've been out there but they only had one slab of what I most wanted, so I thought I'd try to find some other local yards.

I already have a trip planned to the St. Louis Park Costco today, so now I'll be adding in Terazzo and Marble to my errands list today.

• Rudebekia
    11 years ago

needinfo,I had beautiful soapstone countertops installed about three years ago in St. Paul. I absolutely love them and they did a fantastic job. I'm at work right now but I'll check on the company name when I get home this evening. If you want to see them I'd be happy to show you!

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

These are the places our fabricator gave us to go to pick out slabs. I don't know if any have soapstone, but might be worth a call if you can't find what you're looking for.

Midwest Tile, Marble and Granite, Inc: 3181 Dodd Road, Eagan, MN 55121 PH 651-405-0707 *Prefer Appointments www.midwesttile.com

Cold Spring Granite: 915 Blue Gentian Road, Ste 12, Eagan, MN 55121 PH 651-686-9192 www.coldspringgranite.com

Stoneholding: 633 Prosper Drive, Waite Park, MN 56387 PH 800-341-1540 www.stoneholding.com

I picked out our slabs at Midwest Tile, but I've always questioned whether the slabs I chose were the ones I actually got. This is a picture of the one I chose:

And this is our installed slab. I've always felt that the backsplash and the slabs they installed never quite looked right together, but they were perfect with the slab I picked out. I had taken a dear friend with me when I picked out the slabs, and when she saw the installed slabs, she commented that they weren't what I had picked out. Both Midwest Tile and our fabricator assured me they were my slabs, but I've always felt unsure.

• Rudebekia
    11 years ago

needinfo, I used Stonemasters and Sons for my soapstone. They are located in Mpls: here's the website http://www.stonemastersons.com/
    I worked with Dean and found them to be excellent. In fact, I just saw that my kitchen appears in their gallery picture! My soapstone is Julia.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    11 years ago

I idwest Speciality Products has nice stone as does Terrazzo & Marble.

if a fabricator you are considering doesn't take the time to educate you on the differences for soapatone I'd suggest looking elsewhere. this should include samples of your stone with various treatments.

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There are more Twin Cities people here than I'd expected.

Just came back from Terazzo and Marble. They definitely have some beautiful pieces, but their soapstone choices were pretty limited compared to Midwest Specialty.

Marita--Thanks for the referral. I live in SW Minneapolis, so definitely plan to check your people out. I looked at their website, and yours must be the Summit Av. condo I assume. Looks great!

joyce--Thanks for the list of names. I was trying to look at the photos of your slab piece and compare the spots on it to what is installed. I can't tell if they are different or the same.

Oldryder--Are you referring to the fabricator telling me the differences between different varies of soapstone or between soapstone and other stone varieties? Or, do you mean the person in the warehouse should be doing this? Or, both people?

Still thinking about fabricators. I have been favorably impressed so far with Distinctive Stone Interiors in Roseville.

Thanks all.

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cold Springs Granite--another place to check out. My problem is that most of these places just don't have much soapstone. I think it must not be as popular here as it is in other parts of the country.