Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mydreamhomeideas

Please help me take my kitchen from bland to grand

mydreamhomeideas
10 years ago

http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=36305

Above is the floor plan we started with. We made a ton of changes but the question I have for this forum is what should I do with my kitchen layout? I want something unique, but not opened any more to the living room than it already is. We added 2 feet to the width of the breakfast room, kitchen, hall and bedroom #3 so keep that in mind. Any good ideas?

Comments (9)

• mydreamhomeideas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can you try to copy and paste the link manually? It worked for me. If not, I'll try again to get the image on there. Thanks for trying to help!

Here is a link that might be useful: House Plan

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I would try to get your plan put right in your post as you will get more responses.

Personally, I would not like the layout for the following reasons. I like a sink in the same run as the range/cooktop. Can you stand at the sink and open the dw? Not a lot of room on either side of the range.

Draw out the space on graph paper and start fresh. Keep in mind most, not all, kitchens designed by architects are not very functional. Many stock house plans are designed for the wow factor not for function. Its possible to have both.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 10:01

• xc60
    10 years ago

Here is the plan:

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I see you have posted in the Building a Home forum. My advice is to let them pick apart your plan first because I'm sure they'll make many changes. They are amazing!

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Is the only entrance from your garage through the hall? I would consider opening the pantry up and having that an entrance to the garage/kitchen.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

Is the "breakfast" dining area the only dining area? I'm a big fan of dining consolidation, so I'm ok with that, it's just kinda confusing to call your only dining area "breakfast".

• luckymommy1
    10 years ago

I would also post a more detailed view of the kitchen w specific measrements because a good design may come down to inches. I did that and these folks redid our layout (which i thought was already great) beautifully. We are building it exactly as recommended.

• mydreamhomeideas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all! Thanks for your comments AND uploading my plan for me debrak2008 LOL I'm computer challenged for sure.

I TRIED to post my revised plan on the building site but couldn't so I wanted to take the original plan I started with and concentrate on only the kitchen since that is what has me really worried. Like debrak2008 said the stock plans don't take into account LIVING in the house. We built the house we are in 11 years ago and the kitchen doesn't function as well as it could, I'm sure, but I'm not sure exactly how to make it that great because I don't really cook much and don't know exactly what works and doesn't. The thing I hate about the kitchen I have now is that I have so far to walk from side to side because it is a pretty large G shaped kitchen that could have had an island but we were concerned it wasn't quite large enough for one. My husband does most of the cooking and doesn't care for islands and loves everything large so he isn't unhappy with our current kitchen but I KNOW it could be better.

I will try the graph paper idea and starting with a clean slate.

I referred to the only dining room as a breakfast room because that is what it is called on the plan. Since it is the only eating space I do not want to skimp in there and am trying to make that as large as possible, even if it means making the kitchen smaller.

On my revision of this plan I did change the location of the garage entrance to where the pantry is, BTW. That and a bunch of other changes as this is our retirement home and we don't need the traditional family home. Of course we can't change it too much, always keeping in mind resale.

Thanks for the help thus far. I'll try and work on it and see what I come up with on graph paper. Hopefully someone on here will share their gifts/skills as well.

Thanks again!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

xc60 uploaded your plan for you not me. Graph paper is a good place to start.