Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me pick a granite! Natural maple cabinets/dark floors

Posted by uniquelyyou (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 8, 11 at 1:00

Hi-

This is my first time posting. We are in the process of updating our kitchen.

We have natural maple cabinets (with brushed nickel hardware) and super dark (almost black) hard wood floors. Right now we have black appliances, but are considering upgrading to stainless. Our walls are a pea green color. I would say overall our home is decorated Pottery Barn style, with a few modern touches, if that helps at all.

I'm stuck on what color granite to go with. I've considered Venetian Gold, but find it kind of "generic" and standard. I also took a sample of Tan Brown but I'm not sure if it's too much dark with the floors and black appliances. I feel if we went with a super dark counter we would need to for sure go the stainless route for counters.

I would love any suggestions you have for granite that would look good, and pictures would be awesome if you have some.

Thank you so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me pick a granite! Natural maple cabinets/dark floors

I have natural maple cabinets that I loved when I chose them. It wasn't until I started looking at granite that I realized exactly how "peachy" they could look when all the appropriate granite samples had "peach" undertones.

I finally chose Costa Esmeralda which shows muted green/grey. I am soooo glad did, this offset my initial disappointment with the light natural maple.

I was also drawn to lighter granites for the cabs such as Giallo Ornamental and Kashmir White. My wall color is also an olivey green.

I am extremely pleased now with the cab's and granite - the choices suit my tiny kitchen and home.

I know this is a tuff and very expensive decision!!!(pardon the construction MESS)!
Photobucket

o

This has shades of darker and lighter pea greens as well as tans.

Here is a link that might be useful: ferndale

o

We just did our kitchen with an (almost) natural Maple (it does have a stain but it's a light stain), brown/grey floors and brown (silestone: Gedatsu) countertops. All SS appliances and a light offwhite/greyish backsplash. I have pics up now if you wanna take a look. The dark floor/counter combo is definitely lightened up by the SS appliances and lighter backsplash. To have them with black appliances would be toooo dark in my smallish kitchen with only one window.

o
A Pic to help you

Here's a pic of my kitchen, hth!!

o

How much do you want to spend on granite?
The stones you mentioned are in a mid to low price.
But spending just a little more on a granite might
give you what you are looking for.

Do you like the green colors? You mentioned pea green
walls.

Here are some ideas that would be beautiful in your space.
~boxer

Colonial cream has beautiful movement and the right
slab with go with the deep rich floor color and
the soft light wood cabinet color

Surf Green is similar to Costa Esmeralda.

Costa Esmeralada
Photobucket

Coffee Brown Granite

Photobucket

Blue pearl granite

Giallo Veneziano
Photobucket

Not sure of the granite it looks like Verde Wild West
but names vary depending on the region of the country
and the supplier.

New Venetian Gold
NVG and stainless hood

Kashmir gold
Photobucket

o

Cambria has lots of countertops with green and so does Zodiaq.

Here's Zodiaq nutmeg. It's a medium brown with bits of various colors including mica which is reflective and very pretty. It looks real good in person. It's medium so not too dark or too light. The little reflective particles tie in the nickle and stainless--would make the whole kitchen very cohesive.

Just like the cambria ferndale there are other colors in it so you can pull one of the other color out of the countertop and put that onto the backsplash to tie the whole room together.

Here is a link that might be useful: zodiaq nutmeg

o

I have natural maple cabinets in our bathrooms with a dark tile floor and we put a granite called "wenge" in. It's probably called other things in other areas but it is dark brown with a long narrow lines in it. It is absolutely gorgeous. Would post a pic if I knew how to but if you
- google Margranite and then click onto What we import - the slabs are listed alphabetically and it is under wenge. It was one of those granites that when I saw it I knew I had to have it somewhere in the house. Our kitchen is cream cabinets and there we went with giallo ornamentale light.

o
RE:RE: Help me pick a granite! Natural maple cabinets/dark floor

I have natural maple cabinets in our bathrooms with a dark tile floor and we put a granite called "wenge" in. It's probably called other things in other areas but it is dark brown with a long narrow lines in it. It is absolutely gorgeous. Would post a pic if I knew how to but if you
- google Margranite and then click onto What we import - the slabs are listed alphabetically and it is under wenge. It was one of those granites that when I saw it I knew I had to have it somewhere in the house. Our kitchen is cream cabinets and there we went with giallo ornamentale light.

o

Thank you everyone! I will take a look at all these colors.

I'm not so much worried about it matching the green, in case we should ever decide to repaint someday. More concerned with it tying together the light maple and dark floors. I just want a really homey warm look. Maybe something with medium brown tones in between the cabinets/floors??

o

Then check out the Zodiaq Nutmeg, it is medium tone. Reflective mica is really pretty and ties in the stainless and nickle elements nicely.

o

Carrara white - see it here
http://www.supremesurface.com/granitecolors/carrarawhite.html

Greecian White - similar and contains honey-colored accents - seen at Home Depot as a large floor tile
http://www.supremesurface.com/granitecolors/carrarawhite.html

o

They say you are supposed to have some contrast so go with a darker granite.. but i fell in love is Alaska aka Delicatus white.... so thats what i did.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I love your kitchen. I wanted to go with Ikea Nexus Birch, they are light cabinets, but I have a light porcelain tile on the floor. This may not provide enough contrast. What color is your floor?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here