Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uniquelyyou

Help me pick a granite! Natural maple cabinets/dark floors

uniquelyyou
13 years ago

Hi-

This is my first time posting. We are in the process of updating our kitchen.

We have natural maple cabinets (with brushed nickel hardware) and super dark (almost black) hard wood floors. Right now we have black appliances, but are considering upgrading to stainless. Our walls are a pea green color. I would say overall our home is decorated Pottery Barn style, with a few modern touches, if that helps at all.

I'm stuck on what color granite to go with. I've considered Venetian Gold, but find it kind of "generic" and standard. I also took a sample of Tan Brown but I'm not sure if it's too much dark with the floors and black appliances. I feel if we went with a super dark counter we would need to for sure go the stainless route for counters.

I would love any suggestions you have for granite that would look good, and pictures would be awesome if you have some.

Thank you so much!

Comments (14)

• traceee
    13 years ago

I have natural maple cabinets that I loved when I chose them. It wasn't until I started looking at granite that I realized exactly how "peachy" they could look when all the appropriate granite samples had "peach" undertones.

I finally chose Costa Esmeralda which shows muted green/grey. I am soooo glad did, this offset my initial disappointment with the light natural maple.

I was also drawn to lighter granites for the cabs such as Giallo Ornamental and Kashmir White. My wall color is also an olivey green.

I am extremely pleased now with the cab's and granite - the choices suit my tiny kitchen and home.

I know this is a tuff and very expensive decision!!!(pardon the construction MESS)!

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

This has shades of darker and lighter pea greens as well as tans.

Here is a link that might be useful: ferndale

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

We just did our kitchen with an (almost) natural Maple (it does have a stain but it's a light stain), brown/grey floors and brown (silestone: Gedatsu) countertops. All SS appliances and a light offwhite/greyish backsplash. I have pics up now if you wanna take a look. The dark floor/counter combo is definitely lightened up by the SS appliances and lighter backsplash. To have them with black appliances would be toooo dark in my smallish kitchen with only one window.

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Here's a pic of my kitchen, hth!!

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

Cambria has lots of countertops with green and so does Zodiaq.

Here's Zodiaq nutmeg. It's a medium brown with bits of various colors including mica which is reflective and very pretty. It looks real good in person. It's medium so not too dark or too light. The little reflective particles tie in the nickle and stainless--would make the whole kitchen very cohesive.

Just like the cambria ferndale there are other colors in it so you can pull one of the other color out of the countertop and put that onto the backsplash to tie the whole room together.

Here is a link that might be useful: zodiaq nutmeg

• blfenton
    13 years ago

I have natural maple cabinets in our bathrooms with a dark tile floor and we put a granite called "wenge" in. It's probably called other things in other areas but it is dark brown with a long narrow lines in it. It is absolutely gorgeous. Would post a pic if I knew how to but if you
    - google Margranite and then click onto What we import - the slabs are listed alphabetically and it is under wenge. It was one of those granites that when I saw it I knew I had to have it somewhere in the house. Our kitchen is cream cabinets and there we went with giallo ornamentale light.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

I have natural maple cabinets in our bathrooms with a dark tile floor and we put a granite called "wenge" in. It's probably called other things in other areas but it is dark brown with a long narrow lines in it. It is absolutely gorgeous. Would post a pic if I knew how to but if you
    - google Margranite and then click onto What we import - the slabs are listed alphabetically and it is under wenge. It was one of those granites that when I saw it I knew I had to have it somewhere in the house. Our kitchen is cream cabinets and there we went with giallo ornamentale light.

• uniquelyyou
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone! I will take a look at all these colors.

I'm not so much worried about it matching the green, in case we should ever decide to repaint someday. More concerned with it tying together the light maple and dark floors. I just want a really homey warm look. Maybe something with medium brown tones in between the cabinets/floors??

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

Then check out the Zodiaq Nutmeg, it is medium tone. Reflective mica is really pretty and ties in the stainless and nickle elements nicely.

• hokansonjc_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Carrara white - see it here
    http://www.supremesurface.com/granitecolors/carrarawhite.html

Greecian White - similar and contains honey-colored accents - seen at Home Depot as a large floor tile
    http://www.supremesurface.com/granitecolors/carrarawhite.html

• Rericksonsd
    13 years ago

They say you are supposed to have some contrast so go with a darker granite.. but i fell in love is Alaska aka Delicatus white.... so thats what i did.

• mary04
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen. I wanted to go with Ikea Nexus Birch, they are light cabinets, but I have a light porcelain tile on the floor. This may not provide enough contrast. What color is your floor?

• Kelly Stewart
    5 years ago

I hope someone sees this and lends some advice! We weren't expecting to have to stay in our house as we listed it but now we are staying. Long story:( So, the countertops MUST GO! I need help with an inexpensive but good looking solution. We are likely taking out the 6" backsplash behind the cooktop and the riser so that the countertop can come out just a tad but not so many cuts. Maybe make it another seating area. I've received quotes on Giallano Ornamental granite @$28-30/sqft which comes out to a LOT! lol! Looking at quartz but omg. I'm overwhelmed to say the least. Black appliances stay; sink needs replacing but thinking staying with stainless but undermount. Thanks for any advice! The cabinets are maple, floors are Acacia EVP by Lumber Liquidators. Painting cabinets could happen but our cabinet guy said he'd cry since they're maple. HELP! and Thanks!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz