Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linzvirgo_gw

Backsplash- WZ tile and above range area

linzvirgo
11 years ago

This is my first time posting on GW although I have been a lurker for months while renovating our kitchen in our 1930s home. We finished everything in August (right in time for baby #3) literally to the day. We have lived with no backsplash since then, but it is time! I thought I wanted a natural stone, travertine, etc until I saw the WZ Ashbury and fell in love. The only thing is I have no idea what to do with the niche above our range we had built. I would love any ideas-you guys have helped me with SO many decisions and I want to thank you for that. Help!!

Comments (20)

• linzvirgo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Posting another picture from another view-couldn't figure out how to do more than one at a time:) I know it's not the best view-I will have to take some more.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Where to start! So much to say.

First, welcome out of lurkerdom! Nice to meet you.

Second, holy arched, columned, and coiffured goodness!! Be still my heart. Just gorgeous.

Third, I've been eyeing that Ashbury for...well...a couple of years. Beautiful.

Fourth, what color were you considering? Velvet? Suede? White? I don't recall how cold the white is IRL, but I'm guessing its not as warm as the beigey browns you've got going on already.

Fifth, congrats on the new baby! I've been living without a bs for more than 14 months now so don't feel badly.

Lastly, I'm sorry to say that I don't think I really see the Ashbury in your space. You've created a wonderfully traditional looking kitchen. Thick ogee edges. Elaborate moldings. Raised panel doors. Glazing. Corbels. To me, the Ashbury reads more modern, eclectic, and vintage all at the same time. But not traditional. I don't have another suggestion for you either. IMHO, your kitchen needs a different tile. Sorry! Was there any other tile under consideration?

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

I think the Ashbury is transitional enough to work in your kitchen.

Your kitchen is beautiful and has a lot going on already. Personally I would use your same field tile in the recessed panel and then use the items you put in the recess as the decoration. I think adding yet another color/ shape element could end up being overkill especially with a tile with a bold shape like the Ashbury.

Love your ceilings - so gorgeous!!

• linzvirgo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the sweet comments! Breezy-I love your kitchen too, I have seen it while "lurking":) Wish I had the nerve to use marble-gorgeous.

Ughh-now I don't know what to do. While we do have a lot going on, lots of friends and family have commented that most everything in the kitchen is so light. So, I was trying to bring some depth into the kitchen with the backsplash but not overwhelmingly. I was looking at the Suede color in the Ashbury tile. To me it has a 60's vintage look to it and kind of like you Hoboken, I saw it as traditional in what limited pictures I have found of it on the Internet. I actually have a board with it here-I'll take a picture and post and I'll also post some other views so you can see the whole picture. Thank you guys so much!!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen although "Sideways" If you have a chance to post from a computer vs a phone, they usually are the correct orientation... and will be easier to figure out what you need. And we need you to become an alumni of the ABB club (all but backsplash)

And we want to see more pictures of that gem! Wow!!!

• linzvirgo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh no! They're sideways? They look perfect from my phone:) I can try to post from my laptop-I just had all the pictures on my phone to upload and not on there so I did it this way. Sorry!

I'll have to tell my hubby there is a club! He will get a kick out of that as he just calls me a procrastinator. There are just too many choices!

• karen_je
    11 years ago

They are right side up on my iPad.

• linzvirgo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Breakfast nook area -excuse the Christmas decor:)

• linzvirgo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

View into the wetbar.

• kaijutokusatsu
    11 years ago

Be still my heart! That is gorgeous! Welcome out of lurkdom!
    Please post your board,too. I googled the tile but I'm not sure it wouldn't be too busy.

• linzvirgo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The color looks darker in the photo.

• linzvirgo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another angle-are these any help? Thanks guys!!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Here is a niche, and the tile on one on my inspiration pictures, (I really love it). Breezy, are you thinking of a different WZ tile?

Regarding your niche (I am so jealous, can't tell you how hard I tried to put one in behind our backsplash), one option is to use the same tile. My preference is to shy away from the 'focal point'/separate material behind the cooktop, think that the niche in and of itself is a very nice focal point.

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by San Francisco Interior Designer Artistic Designs for Living, Tineke Triggs

Good luck and please post more pictures of your gorgeous space! Best, oldbat2be

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Other Metro General Contractor Markay Johnson Construction

• corgimum
    11 years ago

I like the tile shape a lot. But I wonder if it is too dark. Your cabinets and countertops are beautiful and the Suede color might compete with them. Does it come in a lighter color that goes with your kitchen?

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Congratulations on the new baby! I just love babies!

You have a gorgeous kitchen that reads more traditional to me. With that being said (written), I believe the tile posted in the last photo posted by OldBat2Be would be perfect. There are so many unique design features in your kitchen that it needs a backsplash with some flair.

By the way, love the handles on your lower cabinets and appliances. I have the same in my kitchen.

• jillies01
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. We have similar tones in our kitchen (although truthfully I am in process of getting estimates to repaint the cabinets) and started with a travertine backsplash which ended up reading too pink in our lighting. Ultimately we replaced that and we went with Walker Zanger Avignon. I really love the backsplash we have - it has a traditional / french feel without being stone. I have also seen the Walker Zanger Gramercy Park in a traditional kitchen and it was beautiful! Maybe you could look into those.

• linzvirgo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oldbat2be-that is my exact inspiration photo. I love it!! You may be on to something with keeping the niche consistent with the rest of the space. What would I border the niche with? Since it is such a unique shape I would have to use some kind of rail or bullnose for the corners. I think they do make a 3x4 for the actual recessed part.

Corgimum-I think suede is it. They have a color called velvet but it is more of a gray.

Motherof3sons- thanks!! He's been such a good baby. Goes with the flow of his siblings:) that second photo is my inspiration pic and one if the reasons I began looking at Ashbury. I love that look!

Jillies01-I actually ordered a subway travertine and it came in "orange". I was so disappointed:(

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Yep, what oldbat posted is exactly what I meant. It's still a feature, just a more subtle one and with that gorgeus tile it should definitely have enough 'oomph'.

Does the tile line have a pencil liner?

If you wanted to change it u just a little you could use the same tile in the smaller size, or perhaps a different shape in the same color.... maybe. Just make sure it doesn't get too busy.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Wow, I love your kitchen! I think there are enough dark elements around to support a darker backsplash. The light granite and cabinets could support it.

• linzvirgo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hoboken-I just looked it up and it has a stick liner, a rail molding, and a quarter round. I think it's a great idea to use the same tile in both spaces, would I just use the field on the actual ledge part and around the box and then when it gets to the back part that is in the same plane as the rest of the backsplash go back to the ashbury?

Breezy-have you thought of any other ideas besides the ashbury? I'm open to suggestions, I think at this point I just want it to be done:) we are also in the midst of renovating our garage into a " man cave"-ha!