Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie35_gw

My pretty black dress (including pictures)

Laurie35
12 years ago

Introducing you to my pretty black dress of a kitchen, or in other words, a very basic white kitchen.

I apologize in advance if the pictures are too big. I did try to follow the FAQ.

As a set up, I live in a small 1950 bungalow in an urban area. The house itself is charming. Coved ceilings in the living room. Two woodburning fireplaces. Hard wood floors. But tiny, tiny, tiny.

The kitchen and dining area (no dining room in this house, unfortunately) is extra tiny, and before the remodel, extra ugly and nonfunctional. The kitchen/dining area is 7 ½ feet by 17. The kitchen area is only 7 ½ by 10 feet.

BEFORE PICTURES.

These are sort of “after” pictures, in the sense that I had earlier painted the cabinets white, tore down the mauve and blue flowered wall paper, removed the wagon wheel light fixtures, and replaced the brown and gold brick linoleum, which ran up walls for a faux backspash.

Behind that blank wall on the right that you see are the steps to the basement and to the second floor. I played around with opening that area up, but it just didn’t work.

There was no functionality in this kitchen. The U shape of the kitchen made it impossible to open some drawers without opening the door of the appliance next to them, such as those next to my range (which was only 24 inch and very old) or those adjacent to dishwasher. The flue for the hot water heater took a big bite out of my available space. The fridge jutted into the entry the side door by about 8 inches.

AFTER.

Here are the after pictures.

Much of the best changes that I made are the least obvious. I moved the entry space in the back door over an inch to allow for the counterdepth fridge to be encased. I widened the other door as much as possible. I added arches to these entries and to the living room, which you don’t see in these pictures. I switched out the natural gas water heater for an electric one so that I could eliminate the flue.

There is nothing particularly special or high-end about my design choices. The granite is St. Celcia Light. The fridge is a counterdepth Kitchenaid; the dishwasher is Kitchenaid; the range is a slide in GE Profile; the UTR microwave is an Advantium. I did go from a gas range to an electric range. While I realize that this is not the normal progression, I’m happy with it. The cabinets are painted in Sherwin Williams Alabaster. I don’t remember the brand of the subway tiles, but I know that the brand is sold at Home Depot, although I got them from the manufacturer.

The floor is 1 ½ inch red oak, which is the same that is in the rest of my house. For anyone who is nervous about matching old wood like I was, it isn’t a problem. I also replaced the floor in my front entry way, which had horrible stick on tiles. No one but me would ever know that these were not original to the house.

So, this is my kitchen version of a little black dress. I was never looking for a statement kitchen. I only wanted a pretty kitchen that would fit into the rest of my house, which is a charming little 1950 bungalow. My goal was to make the kitchen look like it had always been a part of my home. So, while some may decry the blandness of a pretty white kitchen, I embraced it. I can dress it up; I can dress it down; but it always looks right, at least to me.

Maybe as important, I've cooked more in this kitchen during the last 3 months than I did in the last 3 years combined.

Again, I apologize for the size and clarity of these pictures. I did read and tried to follow the FAQ about posting. This was the best that I could do.

Comments (61)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love it. It is so beautiful and seems like it would still be keeping with the theme of the house. Very fitting.

• Lori Ryan
    12 years ago

I love the new layout. It is a very beautiful, functional space. Great job!

• katieob
    12 years ago

Great Job!

What a charming kitchen.

Enjoy!

Katie

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

Brilliant! Charming, functional, clever, an amazing transformation. Bravo!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

LOL, I almost didn't click on your thread because I thought it was the SPAM dress lady, again!

Your kitchen is beautiful, bright and charming! And I like the big pictures--I can see the details more easily. :)

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

What amazes me, is that it looks like you've expanded the entire footprint! Almost an added-on space!

So clean and pretty. I really want a countertop depth fridge someday. Your's style is great.

You've done an absolutely beautiful job.

Christine

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Wow! You turned a pain-in-the-neck kitchen into a really useable space. It's amazing how just deleting the overheads and tiny peninsula opened up the space from small and clautrophobic to small and efficient. I especially like how you added arches to the doorways. It just adds a coziness; cold and utilitarian turns into inviting. I also have to comment on your pulls - they're so right for this era and style of kitchen.

I love your branches and leaves on the dining room wall. Where do you find those pieces of metal art? I see them in pictures and on TV, but I've never seen one in person.

• shelayne
    12 years ago

I LOVE this!

It looks much more spacious and light! You must grin ear-to-ear every time you walk in there! It is so sweet!

Congratulations--you did an amazing job! :^)

• lawjedi
    12 years ago

What a lovely "little black dress." It does everything a kitchen needs to do - function, beauty and makes ya smile. :-)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Ditto: Charming!!!!

• tea4all
    12 years ago

Wow! I had to go back and compare the 2 kitchens several times to see that they actually were the same space. You did indeed do an amazing job! It is lovely!

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

tiny tiny kitchen...

...BIG BIG functionality!

excellent job!

• jtkaybean
    12 years ago

Just beautiful! I can tell your home has lots of charm. I love those arches, and you did such a great job!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Laurie35,

Black dress is a perfect description. This kitchen has
    a classic gracefulness that can wear pearls or jeans
    or maybe even both. Lovely. Soft warm colors with the
    classic white makes this space beautiful. I love what
    you did. Excellent work!
    The granite is stunning and the cabinetry is lovely too.
    A few quick questions...

What color paint did you use?

What is the granite?

I love the red oak floors what was the stain?

A Lovely black dress that would fit anyone!
    ~boxer

• nini804
    12 years ago

I can't get over how much more spacious it is from the before pics! So light and bright! Great job!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

What a delightful little kitchen! You did a splendid job.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Congrats on a wonderful, refreshing, functional, modern space, Laurie. Good work!

Those dealing with a tiny 1950s space, should look hard at this thread. There is a lot to learn here.

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

It doesn't even look like the same space! You've done a wonderful job. A perfectly charming kitchen. Enjoy cooking up a storm.

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

What a lovely kitchen and what a change.
    Everything is beautiful and so functional.
    Congratulations.
    Laura

• blubird
    12 years ago

I rarely comment, however, this LBD of a kitchen transformation is spectacular and honest and real. Love it!

Helene

• cardamon
    12 years ago

I love your LBD kitchen. I have a LBD kitchen and I am so comfortable with it and I know I'll never tire of it. Yours looks so fresh, clean and light. Perfect choices, looks wonderful.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Charming, airy, and welcoming--congratulations on your beautiful renovation! Enjoy!

I'd also love to know more about your cabs. Thanks so much for sharing!

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I Love it!! Simple and elegant. Just beautiful!

And I love how you made the most of your space. (We have a similar layout and got rid of the horrible cramped "U" shape and put cabinetry on the opposite wall like you did. Although our new cabinets and countertops are nowhere near as lovely as yours!)

Where did you get your beautiful cabinets? (Perhaps one day we could upgrade to them. They are so pretty!!) I would love to know the paint color too. (Or maybe you shouldn't tell me - after agonizing over picking a soft, warm green, my 3 samples are arriving tomorrow - DH will kill me if I add another contender!)

Congratulations on your perfect LBD. Enjoy it!!

• amela
    12 years ago

This is the most impressive transformation that I have seen yet. What a wonderful inner eye you have to imagine what could have been done. Bravo!

• jentrex
    12 years ago

I also rarely comment. Your kitchen is one of the best I've seen. It makes a big statement with it's classic beauty. You did everything right.

• shkish
    12 years ago

Wow! Looks great. Love how everything - design & materials - all flow together so effortlessly! Great job!

• User
    12 years ago

What a charming space. You certainly had an eye for your remodel and used what you had to the best advantage...no need to add 100's of sq ft. As others have said , there is definitely a lesson to be learned...less is more. Great job. c

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I cannot believe that these are the same space. Your new kitchen looks so much more open, airy and spacious. GW has a new kind of kitchen brought to us by Laurie 35 - the LBD.

The cabinet in the corner by the eating area - how deep is that and what do you keep in it. Did you just go into the studs or did you borrow some space for it. I like how it's flush to the wall. A great space saver idea. There are many lessons to be learned here.

Congratulations.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

WOW- that is AMAZING! I can't believe that is the same kitchen.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Fantastic Job ! Its so welcoming, light and airy looking.

• flyfly
    12 years ago

What a beautiful transformation. They always say good things come in small packages! So what would you say pearl or diamonds with that pretty black dress?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Wow! That's the same room? Amazing what a more functional layout can do. The natural light and warm tones of your finishes make me want to cook in there too. Amazing work! Be proud...not apologetic!

• tamihs13
    12 years ago

a decorator i know said that when you design it should be like a black dress, simple and elegant. you 've achieved it. too bad you can't wear your kitchen out on a saturday night!

• puddycat902
    12 years ago

What a beautiful transformation! Your kitchen reminds me a little of mine, which will be renovated this winter. May I ask what size your sink base cabinet is as well as the base cabinetry to the right of the sink.
    Love your LBD!

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Awesome! This is my kind of kitchen.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Oh, my gosh, no way is that the same space! What an incredible transformation. Your kitchen really is a LBD - it's pretty and functional. Well done!

• sallysue_2010
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen! Can you share the hardware you used?

• Laurie35
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your kind words. I had moments during the process of WWGWD -- or What Would GardenWeb Do? Regardless of what decision that I came to, GW made me think things through and decide why I wanted what I wanted.

In response to questions:

The cabinets were custom built. They are painted maple.

I think that the cabinet under the sink is 32 inches and the one to its right is 10 inches.

The cabinet next to the seating area used to be a closet. It was formerly used for the brooms, garbage, cleaning supplies, etc. It is currently used for the brooms, garbage, cleaning supplies, etc. Now, however, it is designed for that purpose.

The paint is Sherwin Williams. It is Alabaster on the cabinets and trim. The walls are Antique Marble.

The granite is St. Cecelia Light.

The pulls are generic. I got them at a store called the Brass Handle, but they had no name or manufacturer associated with them. I have since seen similar-looking pulls at Target, although I didn't check to see whether they were of similar quality. I didn't want to know.

The floor is 1 1/2 inch red oak. It isn't stained. It has three coats of poly on it. I refinished the rest of the main floor at the same time. The transition is virtually seamless.

The wall art is from Pier One.

I'm really happy with my kitchen. I spend a lot of time in it now, where I never used to. Thanks for letting me share my LBD with you and for your help during the process.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Laurie35, I have a question for you. I really like the way the angled cabinets improve the flow, but how practical do you find them? What do you use them for?

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Laurie, I love your kitchen...It seems like it belongs there more than your old kitchen did. I also love your built-ins by the table. Was there a set of built-ins there previously or did you carve that space out of the back of closet etc?

writersblock, a friend of mine also has an angled cabinet, and she has her kids' sports bottles and lunch boxes in it. Easy access and not too deep.

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Now that's one sharp "black dress!" Talk about less being more --you've hit this one out of the ballpark. Congratulations!

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! It looks very much like I hope ours will look when we are finished, and in fact you have me rethinking a couple of decisions, haha (like not boxing in our fridge). It's lovely and looks very functional, and I think this says it all:
    Maybe as important, I've cooked more in this kitchen during the last 3 months than I did in the last 3 years combined.
    Re. your hardware looking like something you saw at Target -- I wouldn't be concerned if I were you; I recently bought some hardware for a piece of furniture there and I am happy with its quality. It's a nice weight and it looks good installed and it works, and that's all I needed.

• Laurie35
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Writersblock, I like the angled cabinets. I suppose that if I had more space, I would have opted for non-angled cabinets, but these worked better in my space. In the top one in the corner by the sink, I store some of the larger appliances, like the slow cooker, etc., on the lower shelves, and some of the bigger serving dishes that I don't use often on the higher shelves. In one of the angled lower cabinets near the range, I store smaller appliances, like the toaster, the vacuum sealer, etc. In the other, I store vases. The two upper angled cabinets in this area are very small and glass-fronted. I could probably use them for things like wine glasses, but I use them purely for decorative items.

Colorfast, the built-in next to the table is where there used to be a closet.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

• hilnaric
    12 years ago

Thanks very much, Laurie. Yours must be better designed than the ones I've seen in store displays--those would never hold anything as big as a slow cooker.

And thanks to colorfast, too.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Oops, sorry. That was me. Conchita is a neighbor and she was using my computer earlier, when we were looking at listings. Didn't notice she was still logged in here.

• nancyaustin
    12 years ago

Laurie, your kitchen is a stunning transformation. It is perfection, in terms of function and design. Congratulations and enjoy it with pride!

• amck2
    12 years ago

For the better part of a year when we were building I logged onto this forum daily. Now I check in once & a while to see what's happening and had to comment on this kitchen.

Laurie, you are living in my dream home. I've always loved bungalows and actually prefer tiny spaces to large ones. I love the cozy nature of a smaller home and, as contradictory as it sounds, I think they're easier to keep neat & clutter-free - at least for me. Knowing there's limited space is incentive to be very selective in what comes in.

I love what you've done with this kitchen. Congratulations & Enjoy!

• highrock
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen!!! I wish I had seen it earlier! A quick question for you... are the subway tiles a regular glaze or matte?

What a nice space to enjoy!

• Laurie35
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Highrock, the subway tiles are matte.

• cakelly1226
    12 years ago

I love all of it- simply perfect! Adore your granite and backsplash:)