Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinycastles

PIC: Medallion cream cabinets were delivered! Love them!!

tinycastles
13 years ago

Just wanted to share in case there are others out there in kitchen land who lust after cream (not white) kitchen cabinets...See pic below- Medallion cabinet in Oyster Heirloom. Pic was taken w/cell phone in our storage warehouse, so not the best lighting.

I ordered Medallion cabinets for our new kitchen after seeing how well they have held up for my mom. I was also super picky about the finish. I wanted a cream, not too yellow, but not a cool (grey) cream either. Most of the eggshell and ivory finishes were still too light for my liking. I also wanted some distressing and glazing, but not overdone.

Here's a summary of what I looked at. I got quotes from Omega (Dynasty), Bertch, Shiloh, and Medallion. Bertch price point was good (similar to Medallion), but to be honest I just could not find the cream color that I loved. I got a door sample in the Parchment finish, but it seemed very manila envelopey, almost a taupey cream if that makes sense. Dynasty's price was ridiculously high....I'm talking Range Rover parked in my kitchen high. Definitely did NOT love their cream colors that much to justify that kind of $$$. But since we're talking money....Had money been no object, I would have gone with the Shiloh cabinets in the Old World finish. It's their newest finish that is available in a number of shades, including two cream shades-Custard and Cornsilk, both are gorgeous. The Old World finish is definitely an upgrade. Its not just a color; its glazing, crackling, distressing, etc. a real furniture look. A little bit too high for my budget though (still considerably cheaper than Dynasty) Once Shiloh was priced out with their standard painted, glazed, distressed finish it was actually closer to Medallion. I believe more expensive, but only by a few thousand. Sadly, once the Old World finishes were ruled out, I didn't love any of the other cream/glazing options.

I've always loved Medallion cabinets in the Oyster Heirloom, so thats what I ended up going with. Medallion was having a big sale, so I got the whole shebang for a very good price-we're talking 5 1/2" crown, light molding, all plywood boxes, finished ends, lots of big drawer bases, a gorgeous hood cabinet. Plus with Medallion the Oyster is considered a "premium" finish and you automatically get soft-close, full-extension dovetail drawers. Will definitely post pics once cabinets are installed.

Comments (18)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Congrats on finding what you want. That is a yummy door! I can't wait to see them installed.

• tinycastles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks breezy! I made a bold choice *gulp* and went with a dusty turquoise painted finish for the island. The blue cabinets also have glazing and distressing, but the glazing looks a little more dramatic than I expected. Keeping my fingers crossed that the granite will tie everything together.

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

That is wonderful news. That door is beautiful. More pics please as you make progress!

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

Hello Tinycastles,
    I'm actually meeting with my KD today to pick out my medallion cabinets. I'm thinking of the Designer Gold, Brookhill maple with dark brown (or black?) glaze.

After seeing your beautiful cabinets, I'm tempted to change my mind. If I could just convince my DH--he doesn't want anything white or off-white...*sigh*
    Have to say, that is my dream cabinet & I'm going to try my best to change his mind. We have a tiny kitchen & I think going with a cabinet like you selected is our best bet.
    Oh..curious to know what granite you selected?
    So glad to hear your mom's cabinets have held up so well. I went back & forth between a custom place (Niviya), Lowes/Diamond Reflections and Medallion. Medallion is looking like the winner, esp with their promo going on.

Can't wait to see your finished kitchen--it's going to be just gorgeous :-)

• tinycastles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi jillsee! Hope you like the Medallion. I think they have a pretty solid track record. Yes, I have already picked out my slabs. It is called Golden Beaches or Golden Caramel. It looks like a Turtle Sundae. Some cream, some caramel, tan, quartz chunks, and a few random swirls of black/chocolate. For some reason this granite always looks darker overall in photos than it does in person. See pic below.

My mom has put Medallion in a couple different houses over the years. She always does the upgrades to the box and hinges. She has the Knotty Alder cabs in a stain w/ glaze in her current kitchen and bathrooms. Alder is a softer wood and some think not suited for the wear and tear of kitchens, but hers still look fantastic.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Tineycastles. Thanks for sharing. Looks beautiful. I too am contemplating white or cream paint finish cabs for my redo and finding the perfect color, not to bright, too yellow, too gray, etc is my concern too. You mentioned yours have a light glaze or highlighting... Is oyster the base color and heirloom the glaze? Can you please clarify so I can add it to my colors to investigate list? Thanks.

Oh and please show us the turquoise you chose for your island. You are adventurous! Look forward to hearing more so please keep us posted.

Wish there was a better way of keeping track of everything on this prehistoric website!

• User
    13 years ago

They look great tinycastles! I have Oyster Heirloom as well installed in 2007. The finish is amazing and has held up wonderfully. The turquoise and Oyster will look great together. I am working on picking out a new wall paint color now and surprisingly the Pottery Barn color Florida Keys Blue looks great with them. Your island will look amazing.

Have you picked out a wall color yet? I have found it hard to find paint colors to go with the Oyster Heirloom so I am always looking for suggestions.

island...To answer your question...I ordered the actual paint and glaze with my cabinet order so I could add things as needed. The base is Oyster White which is a very bright white. The oil based glaze is called mocha glaze and adds all the color to the finish. There are a few steps after the glaze application which make the sheen just like the cabinets.

• tinycastles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To my knowledge, the Oyster is only available as Oyster Vintage or Oyster Heirloom. I think both have glaze, and it cannot be customized in terms of dark, light, heavy, subtle, etc. The Heirloom also has rub-thru on corners/edges and distressing, and is slightly more expensive than the Vintage. Medallion also offers a lighter shade (I think it's called Morel) but I felt that was too light, definitely more of a white than a cream.

Medallion recently started offering a true soft yellow as well, so my theory was that the Oyster would be lightened a smidge now that the yellow was introduced (Saffron?...not sure of the name) My mom installed the Oyster Heirloom in another home a couple years ago, but it definitely looks different (more yellow cream) than my new cabinets. Even my husband noted the difference.

Cabinets prepped for seeded glass

Renaissance Crown, the newest crown introduced by Medallion

My mom's K. Alder Medallion cabs (This is a pic I took of her chandy, but you can see the cabs in the background) Her hood is exactly what mine looks like, except I ordered a 42" instead of a 36". Please disregard her backsplash, she was in the midst of a little remodel project with her range and backsplash.

• tinycastles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops! Forgot to respond to Cleo:)

If you're looking for a nice neutral, SW Irish Creme looks very lovely with Medallion's Oyster finish.

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

Your granite is perfect, really beautiful!

We will be going with Medallion and found one we both like (although my first choice would be your color, dh won't budge though). We love the Valencia Maple, in Hazelnut Burnished. Granite choice is probably Gallo Ornamental with Ogee edging.

Gosh, after looking at your mom's kitchen I'm tempted now to look at the Alder...definitely my style, since I like the country french look. :-)

I'm so happy we picked the Medallion cabinets. I can't wait to see your kitchen when it's all done--I bet you are so excited!

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks tinycastles. I'll check it out!

• jkasch
    13 years ago

I really like this door style. Would you mind sharing the style with me.

Thank you.
    Julie
    PS Can't wait to see your finished kitchen. I am sure it will be beautiful.

• tinycastles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Julie,
    The door style is Victoria in the Designer Gold line. They do have a Platinum line, but I believe it is mostly inset doors. Unfortunately Medallion does not have very good pics of this door style on their website or promotional material, which is another reason I wanted to post pics.

I really like the door style too, the glazing is subtle. It is much prettier in person- the applied moulding is very lovely. The accompanying drawer is not too busy, which I prefer since almost all of my bases are drawers instead of doors. I am so excited to see my finished kitchen:)

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see your finished pictures. Those cabinets are beautiful!!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! It is going to be amazing!

Please post a pic of your island!

• emy315
    13 years ago

Hi. I am redoing my kitchen and I am down to two cabinet companies which are Shiloh and Medallion Platinum. I see in your original post you also looked at both of these companies. We want inset doors, so it would be different than your kitchen, but I would love to hear your feelings on your cabinets after they are installed. Are the dovetails smooth, do the soft close work properly, do the sliding shelves glide nicely?

Would love to hear your insights! Thanks.

• tinycastles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi emy-
    I originally wanted inset and my quoted pricing was for inset doors. I got pricing for both Group A and Group B in Shiloh. Also inset in Dynasty, Bertch, etc. I ended up doing full overlay because it was a little cheaper, and ultimately because I was worried about "banging" up the edges since I am a very clumsy accident prone person and tend to bang my dishes around when I put them away. I also have a little one that I thought would abuse them. Love love love the look though.

I will definitely give you the full report once they are installed. One thing I unfortunately cannot report on is the sliding shelves...I didn't order any. I ordered two 36" base drawer cabs, two 24" base drawer cabs, a 21" sliding double trash cab, corner recyle bin base cab, blind corner base cab, 36" farmhouse sink base, and a 12" tray divider. This excludes all island cabinetry (which is not Medallion). This may be premature, but I am so in love with my kitchen cabs that I ordered the same door style and color for my Master Bath vanity and countertop cabinet!My mom has Medallion too, in 3 different properties they own. No complaints on her end. This is how I became familiar with the Oyster Heirloom. She had it installed in a home they own, which we are living in while we build our new house.

Shiloh is also a very nice line. Furniture quality stuff. You cannot go wrong with either company, IMHO. I will definitely post pics and details once my cabinets are installed.

• kathec
    13 years ago

Tinycastles, what brand/color is your blue island?