Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aviphysics

which induction cook tops can be flush mounted?

aviphysics
10 years ago

I am trying to figure out which induction cooktops can be flush mounted. I have seen some posts about people getting flush mount models from Thermador, but I couldn't find a specifically flush mount model on their web site and it doesn't say anything about flush mounting in the instructions.

Does anyone have any guidance?

Comments (13)

• smiling
    10 years ago

I know the Miele 30" induction cooktop can be flush mounted (probably the 36" too, but you'd have to verify on that one). The flush mount option is illustrated in their installation diagrams for the 30". It takes very very precise cutting of the granite, so you may want to be sure your fabricator has high-tech equipment.

I'm also doing the flush mount, and was advised to have the induction unit delivered to the granite shop, same as the sinks.

• aviphysics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is helpful.

Too bad Miele is a little out of our price range.

I was thinking about maybe the GE 36" frameless. Kind of nervous about flush mounting though. If we ever needed to replace the unit, we would be up the river without a paddle.

Also thinking that in 5-10 years, the induction units that let you place the pot anywhere might be better and more reasonable priced.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

That's why I would never do a built-in coffee system (just think about those Nu-Tone built-in blender things). I'm sure it would look great though.

• smiling
    10 years ago

I know what you mean, and it gave me pause, too, before proceeding. I agree that in 5-10 years things will be different. By then, I may be able to go up to the 36" size, zoneless, and just have to have the granite cutout enlarged (messy but doable). I've left room on either side for the larger future unit, and also left clearance above to go from a 30" to a 36" hood. Oh, and I somehow remembered to have it installed on a 50 amp circuit for future needs. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy having the flush mount.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

aviphysics:

Flush mounted cooktops are like spike-heeled shoes; they look great, but can be dangerous.

If you must, follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. Have your fabricator ease all the cut edges and line the cutout with heat conductive tape. Make sure you never use a pot that's larger than the size of the burner. You don't want to transfer heat to the top, no matter what the stoners say.

• smiling
    10 years ago

"You don't want to transfer heat to the top, " Do you mean the top of the induction cooktop, or the top of the stone counter? Thanks for the warning.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

smiling:

The top of the stone counter.

• smiling
    10 years ago

got it, thanks again Trebruchet

• repac
    10 years ago

I have a Wolf flush mounted induction cooktop, and I love it! An advantage of the flush mount is that the cooktop can be an extension of the countertop. Large serving platters can easily extend from countertop to cooktop (the cooktop remains cool enough for dishes to be placed on it safely). And it's great not to have a frame that collects food particles. No problem with buildup on the seam of the frameless cooktop. Also, the cooktop doesn't heat up the neighboring granite even with prolonged cooking of large pots of soup.

Although you may not be considering a Wolf, I assume that induction cooktops work pretty much the same.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

moebus:

I'm familiar with the insulating tape; it has a kind of felt with foil.

I meant to say what I said, which is heat conductive foil tape. It conducts heat away from countertops.

I recommend following the manufacturer's tape recommendations even more than my own suggestions.

• susanrhill34
    last year

@moebus I knnow this is an old thread, but I will be installing a Wolf Induction Contemproary cooktop, hopefully with a flush mount. Is yours installed on a granite counter or quartz? I know granite is not an issue, but have read some concerns is the pot overhangs onto quartz it could cause damage. appreciate any input. thanks!!

@repac I see you intstalled your flush mount on granite. if by chance you have remodeled and have quartz I would be interested in your experience and also if you are still happy with the Wolf. thanks

• ashleylwest1
    8 months ago

I am considering the same also with quartz. Did you ever find out anything?