Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhome3_gw

AGONIZING over quartz counter edge choice!!

newhome3
13 years ago

Hi all....I need help.... please! I am not sure if I have chosen the right edge for our cambria quartz countertops (Aragon).

We have chosen dark Sasparilla maple cabinets. This is for a wet bar that is going in the basement...which has more of a transitional style...ie modernish but not too starkly contemporary. My husband really likes the bevel edge, and thinks it will go with the transitional style but I am still somewhat torn. On top of it, when we chose the edge in the store, the KD said "oh...bevel edges are making a comeback...there was a time they were not too popular because of the bevel edges that were reminiscent of formica.....but...it will look fine since it is stone".

What do you all think? Would you choose a different edge...if so why (or why not). For those of you who have stone counters with bevel edges, please post your pics! I just want to choose the edge that will best show the stone as well as keep in with the style of the room and wet bar.

Sorry this is a bit long.......thanks so much for your help!

Also, what are your opinions on the KD's comments?

Comments (10)

• powertoolpatriot
    13 years ago

I am planning on a quartz countertop with an ogee edge. Gives the countertop some character.

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

Me too - the simple ogee edge, not the really ornate one, with lots of curvy ridges. I like the both the fancy and the simple ogee edges, but I'm going with the simple one because it costs less.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Do you like Bevel?
    I mean love it?
    I believe you don't really LOVE it. You might like it
    but you want to find out your options. Good for you.
    So many times we get an edge without realizing there are
    options out there. Find the one that makes you smile.

What about one of these....

Did you find one that sings to you?
    It is okay, keep searching you will find one you love and
    that will be the one you should get.
    Do you still love Bevel? There you go, get it if you love it.

~boxer

• pussuskattus
    13 years ago

Two comments:
    1) If the area is really your husband's area (you know, part of his "man-cave"), and he loves the bevel edge, let him have it. Then when you are working on something later that you love but that he is unsure whether he likes it, he may be more likely to let you have your way more easily. (No, I don't think marriages are managed by scorecards, but they certainly are the place we have to pick our battles on a daily basis!)

2) I heard a saying once "Your favorite outfit is not made up of all your favorite clothes". I've been working with a designer, and she has been really helpful to me by pointing out that simply picking all of the elements separately won't end up with the best-looking space. Not everything can be "WOW" or it is too busy and they all compete. So you have to decide whether the bevel edges fit in with the overall look, or there is an edge you like better that still fits in with the overall look. (My personal opinion is that some of the very ornate edges won't look right with a transitional stlye.)

My KD never mentioned anything about bevel edges and Formica. She did recommend the beveled edge since I am going transitional, too, and I have some other beveled edges in the kitchen. I can't post pictures - the countertops are being fabricated right now and due to be installed next week.

• newhome3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your replies! Boxerpups.....you are right...to me,the bevel edge is okay...but I do not love it. However...after looking at all the counter edge 'eye candy' pics of yours...I definitely saw more than a couple that I fell in LOVE with!
    The really fancy ogee edges that I love wont really go with the transitional style as pussuskattus mentioned. Also, there is the question of budget... included in the price of the stone we have a choice of bullnose, demi bullnose , eased, straight and bevel. Anything else is an upcharge.
    Pussuskattus...you made some very wise comments re the hubby and letting him have his choice on this one! I dont think he will be too upset if I change the edge, but still....
    I would love to see your countertops when they are installed next week. Did you get quartz or granite? I still have a couple of weeks before I make a final decision on edges.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Dh picked the counters and while it made me nervous, he really wanted them and it was his turn. I may have picked the same in the end, but I am still not 100% sure. I really like them, but....
    I think if you are doing a large job, you have to make it a team effort. There are some things critical to your vision but some may be less so. My problem is wanting several of each thing that I have to pick only one of. No matter how good the choice made was, there will always be another similar item that looks awfully good too...

• cookingkaren
    13 years ago

I agree with Pussuskattus 's 2 points: perhaps give into the hubby if it will not impact the overall look of the area; and be careful of how you put all your elements together. Think of what you want for the overall look of the space.

We wanted very clean, earthy lines for our kitchen and we chose a gutsy granite for our island top, so it was a no brainer to go with a simple edge- we chose 1/8" radius edge for both the Black Marinace and the Soapstone we put on the perimeter counter tops. I was unsuccessful in uploading my pics, but I've added a link so you can see how bold my island top is! How will your chosen edge go with the quartz you chose?

The other tip I offer you is from a friend who did a no-expense-spared kitchen and who got talked into a two-pieces of granite with some elaborate ogee/waterfall combo: "Remember: you are going to have to clean all the edges." So if you like to clean, you will have plenty of places to chase dust (if not food!) out of. If you are like me, and hate to clean, stay simple!!

I am sure you have visited friends who have redone their kitchens. It's much easier to get a sense of what an edge does for an entire kitchen when you see it in context, rather than on a piece of paper or a sample block of countertop. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shot of Black Maranice- used with simple 1/8 radius edge

• keptoz
    13 years ago

We have a beveled edge on our granite. My husband also picked it (must be a masculine thing). I really didn't want it at first because I was going for more of a cottage look & wanted rounded edges, but he let me design & pick out everything else in the kitchen, so... I was worried about it at first, but I actually love the edges. They are not at all harsh & I think they complement the granite quite nicely.

• pussuskattus
    13 years ago

My kitchen countertops should go in next week, and I have white marble (actually, I think it is quartzite) for the island, and I used Eco in Polar Cap (it's a product from the same company that makes Silestone, and is 75% recycled glass, mirrors, stone, etc., bound by a resin, so it sounds like kind of a cross between a quartz and a solid-surface) for all the perimeter countertops.

I'll post pictures as soon as they get done

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH