Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pudleboy

What do you know about Amish cabinetry?

pudleboy
15 years ago

I live in PA near amish funiture and cabinet makers.

I contacted a local furniture store that has recommended

an amish man to me to build and install cabinets. I have seen his work and it looks very good.

He uses all wood construction and the finish is very nice.

Has anyone used amish furniture builders to do their kitchen?

What has been your experiieence with them?

It is harder than working out of a showroom and most of the designs that they usually show are plain and simple in their products.

If anyone has had experieince using\\\please advise of your outcomes.

Comments (25)

• worldmom
    15 years ago

I haven't done it, but one of my best friends recently did. They are very pleased with the end result, and especially the price. They got a whole kitchen full of custom hickory cabinets for $5500. They didn't go through any sort of showroom or middleman, but worked directly with the cabinet builder. It took a little longer than is probably typical, and there was the inconvenience of communicating by mail, but their kitchen was worth it. (The same carpenter also built them a 10 foot long dining room set).

If she's OK with it, I'll post a picture of my friend's kitchen tomorrow. Alternatively, I can email a couple to you.

• pudleboy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice. it sounds worth pursuing.
    please send me pics if you can. it is difficult to communicate but he has called me twice and i have not been home. Would like some custom ornamentation which could be a problem. Want cabinets painted and glazed and am not sure they do that sort of finish.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

jaymielo has amish made cabs and they are gorgeous.

Here is a link that might be useful: jaymielo's finished kitchen

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Our Indiana builder used Amish cabinets almost exclusively. He had a relationship with a man who ran a small shop. He didn't do our cabinets, but did build our entertainment center and a lovely walnut piano bench to match our old piano. His cabinets and our entertainment center were beautiful.

Our plan had been to have him do our Tennessee house cabinets. We had him bid, as well as another Indiana Amish shop. In the end, we went with a local company.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

My kitchen is proof Amish doesn't have to be plain or simple.

We're also in Chicago and worked with an Amish company out of Nappannee Indiana. Our contact there was FANTASTIC. I got everything I wanted and more. Nothing was impossible and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Have you looked at Rutt, I highly recommend them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutt Hand Crafted Cabinetry

• pam2007
    15 years ago

My husband is a GC in Illinois. We use an Amish cabinet maker exclusively and have for 20 plus years. Their work is beautiful, high quality, totally custom and reasonable in price. They are located in Arthur Illinois and do cabinet jobs accross the midwest.

• ali_s
    15 years ago

I'm looking for the name and contact information for any of the Amish cabinet makers mentioned above that are located in and around the Chicago area. Please email me at alison.stimac@gmail.com. Thanks!

• pebbles81
    15 years ago

Can someone please post or send me information recommending an Amish Cabinet maker in or around Illinois?
    I am in the Chicago area as well

wolfe.ayleen@gmail.com

• niffy
    15 years ago

I'm interested in names/contact info for IL/IN Amish also. Email me at niffinator@comcast.net. Thanks.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Ayr Cabinetry
    Ken Miller
    (574) 773-7973
    Nappannee Indiana

He'll be happy to come out to you as well

• Debbie Laird
    15 years ago

There are Amish cabinet makers in Arthur IL. Arthur is about three hours south of I-80 on I-57. Do a web search for more information.
    My parents just had Amish made cabinets cabinets installed and the quality it unbelievable. The Amish built them, a carpenter installed them.

When you go, take every measurement possible. They don't work in 3" increments, they build by 1/8".
    I'm having my cabinets built by the Amish, and saving about $2,000.

• pebbles81
    15 years ago

KEC01,

I saw that you are in Chicago, too. Can you please, please give me the name of your amish cabinet maker?
    I went to Menards and Lowes as well as some local cabinet companies, and my jaw literally dropped at the prices.

wolfe.ayleen@gmail.com

• kompy
    15 years ago

Amish is not a brand name. You still need to check out the individual cabinetmaker, just as you would for a GC or kitchen dealer.

• pebbles81
    15 years ago

Oh I know it's not a brand name. I am simply asking for KEC01's amish cabinetmaker's contact inforamtion given that we live in the same city, and he's in Indiana. That's not a far drive.

Thanks

• emeraldisleinc_gmail_com
    13 years ago

i would greatly appreciate some contact info for the amish cabinet makers in Indiana or southern Illinios. Please help

• sandy808
    12 years ago

I am located in North Florida. If anyone has the name and contact number of an excellent cabinet maker, Amish or otherwise, please post. The Amish as a rule do high quality work. Thanks.

• gardenmin
    8 years ago

I realize this is an old thread, but am in Chicago and looking for a custom cabinet maker to build quartersawn oak cabinets. If anyone is willing to share their favorite, please email me at mghosh43@gmail.com. Thanks.

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

I took a tour of this place (the showroom and the factory) today with the KD I will probably be working with for the kitchen in my new house. They do custom work for places throughout the US. Their work is impressive. Lots of QS oak in their showroom and rift sawn. You would have to find retailer. I'm sure there is one in Chicago. They were working on a whole house of cabinets for a house in Reston, Ma.

They build them and they have non Amish drivers that deliver. My KD said they are not cheap...but are reasonable.

They had a display that rivaled the Wood-mode Vintage cabinets in my house.

http://www.dhhinfo.com

• lakeerieamber
    8 years ago

My builder is located in the Amish area of Ohio and has a cabinet maker that does amazing work that we plan on using. The problem is there isn't really a showroom. We convey to the builder what we want, he conveys it to the cabinet maker.

• avocadogirl
    8 years ago

@Amber Would you mind sharing either the builder's or cabinet maker's contact info? Particularly if you know the cabinet maker's name or address?

• lakeerieamber
    8 years ago

Sent you a message, avocadogirl

• loves2cook46
    8 years ago

I know I posted this above but I would still recommend Ayr Cabinetry. We finished our kitchen in 2006 and Ken is still happy to send someone out to our house to fix anything we need. A couple of the draw glides are not closing properly and he stands behind the cabinets and hardware he uses and will be replacing them. That is service! Especially as they aren't HIS products and are probably out of warranty.

http://www.ayrcabinet.com/products/89/Kitchen

And that is our kitchen under the Art Deco tab LOL.

• westsider40
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have Ayr custom cabinets also and they are simply the best. I also just redid our kitchen in Arizona and comparing the az cabinets to the Ayr is just not the same. Az seems like crap. I regret not using Ayr also for our Az house---. Even considering the distance between Indiana and Arizona