Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmaddogs

white siligranit II -- any regrets?

Patricia
9 years ago

We are remodeling a small cabin kitchen and, given the many positive reviews here, are considering a siligranit sink. But we definitely want a white sink and would like to see if any of you, who might have such a sink, are happy with that choice. We currently have a gray Kohler sink, which always looks dirty. We are hoping that would not be the case with a white siligranit. Thanks for any input.

Comments (5)

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

We have two white silgranit sinks, one prep and one large cleanup and find them easy to clean. We have a funny story in that I thought I had wanted one of the dark colored sinks, either brown or gray but had to make up my mind quickly and didn't know the cabinets so chose white.

We previously had a double white porcelain sink. So far, I'm finding the white Silgranit is easier to clean - the surface has somewhat of a matte texture - which I like because it softens the texture compared to porcelain but still easy to clean. I ordered a bottom grill/grid for each sink. Wasn't sure especially since they are a tad expensive. But turns out, I think they add an extra layer that helps make the sinks easy to clean (once I learned how to lift up the grid on one side/edge, clean beneath and lay grid down flat again.)

Only been using them for about a year but at this point, I would definitely made the same choices again - including white over the darker color.

Also bought and had countertop guys install "sink setters" for each sink. I have heard some talk here and there about the granite cracking. With the sink setters, it will be relatively easy to replace a cracked silgranite sink if that happens. Also, I think it was easier for countertop guys to be more precise in placing the sinks within the reveal.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Love my Silgranit Blanco Diamond Super Single! I am now spoiled for any other sink material. I just finished my third kitchen reno (moved 3 times in last 8 years), and installed my third Silgranit sink, that's how much I like it. Responding to Elphaba's comment, I never experienced cracking on any of them, and I think cracking is a really unusual occurrence, that would be either from something happening in shipping, or the contractor doing something. Those things could happen to any sink, regardless of whether they are Silgranit or not (even stainless steel can get dented). It sounds like Elphaba's solution is a very nice safeguard for any sink.

I chose the anthracite color which is black, but I have seen quite a number of the other Silgranit colors. The only thing I would advise you to think about is whether you want the Silgranit "White" or the Silgranit "Biscuit". The "White" is a very white-white, while the "Biscuit" is a creamier white. You can call Blanco, and they will mail you color chips. There is nothing like seeing the colors in your kitchen (vs. pictures) to make up your mind. Don't email your request cause they're not that good answering emails; their customer service is definitely telephone-oriented. The number is 800-451-5782.

What size cabinet do you have for the sink? Though you didn't ask about which sink style, I love the Blanco Super Single. It's so roomy, you can set pots down to soak, and still have room for other stuff in the sink. The offset drain means you won't be covering the drain with dishes or pans while you are using the sink. The Silgranit material washes easily, is heat-resistant to 536 degrees, and doesn't scratch or show water marks.

If you decide on a Silgranit sink, I advise you to buy online from a good company like Quality Bath (where I bought mine). Don't just buy from any-old-website to get the best price.

This picture is of the Silgranit White #440195 which is their Super Single that can be installed undermounted or drop-in. Blanco also has just come out with the same model sink but solely an undermount, which is the #441767.

This post was edited by Mrs_Nyefnyef on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 10:35

• Patricia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Elphaba -- is your primary sink undermounted? I did not know about sink setters and don't know if they work with an undermounted sink. So thanks for that info and for your feedback on siligranit.

Mrs. Nyef -- We plan to have a 36" sink cabinet and undermount the sink. The sink I'm looking at is the exact one you mentioned -- with the offset drain. I really appreciate your suggestion to get a sample of the biscuit. I had already requested a sample of the white because I "think" that's what I want, but will additionally request the biscuit.

Thank you both!

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Love my white and live cleaning it. So easy. I called blanco before we bought it to ask how to clean the white. Soft scrub with bleach and a green scotchbrite scrubby pad. Ours will be 5 years old this October and I think it still looks new. I wouldn't have been happy with a cream color. I like the real white.

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, both sinks are undermounted. I think there are other choices of products that do the same exact thing but can't remember their name. Sink setters works quite well though. Plumber and countertop guys hadn't used this type of product but easily learned how to use it. I think they preferred it over doing other type of installations without such an "appliance".

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio