Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamsalive_gw

White Cabinets for a French Country Kitchen??

dreamsalive
15 years ago

I've been going back and forth between white cabinets (or off-white) and creamy cabs with a glaze. I'm going for a french country look, so stylistically, creamy cabinet with glazing is more french country, but my heart is telling me to do classic white. I don't want cabinets that will date themselves. I'm afraid all of this glazing is a little trendy and will be out in 10 years, where white cabinets really never go "out". Do you think painted & glazed cabinets are trendy? You opinion please!

Comments (13)

• caminnc
    15 years ago

I think they are very trendy and I think a creamy white will look great for in French Country kitchen. I think it is a much cleaner look. Go for it.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

I think it is sort of a matter of personal preference. When I flip through the kitchen magazines, the "french country" looks seem a little dated to me, in particular the exaggerated cabinetry (I bet in the country side France it would be far more simple), so just from my own perspective I would say the glazing/cabinetry aspect of french country does seem like a trend and one that in my opinion is on its way out.

What about trying to get the french country look without putting it into your cabinetry. Such as reclaimed french limestone tiles for the floors, fabric for curtains, wrought iron pulls (simple canvas or Pierrre Deux, or an un-fussy toile of some type), terra cotta pots with herbs on the counters, wrought iron pot rack with copper pots, a nice walnut or pine work table with some patina to it, colors of mustard yellow, french blue interspersed here and there (if not on the cabinetry then perhaps the wall or accessories), tile backsplash to bring in the feel (probably hand made tiles with a rustic feel, with or w/o french country motif).

I guess what I am trying to say is that I think if you could go for an authentic french country look vs. the American interpretation of a french country, you will probably end up with a more timeless / less trendy look.

HTH

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

mamadadapaige, where can you find reclaimed limestone tiles? I've been looking for something like that for my kitchen floor. Thanks!

Sorry to hijack your thread, dreams.

• fondantfancy
    15 years ago

I live in the French countryside and the title "French country kitchen" on this forum always makes me smile, as no one in the French countryside has kitchens ANYTHING like this. Some Parisians who have moved to the south of France may get something approaching, but thats all.

REAL French country kitchens look a bit like this:

and no I'm not joking, most houses visit are a variation on this theme, athough sometimes the wallpaper is a bit brighter. The one we ripped out was very similar, although not quite as nice.

The kitchens the French aspire to are more like this:

or this

Or if they are really aspirational this:

{{gwi:1562567}}

{{gwi:1562568}}

And from what I see in the press here, people renovating houses in the countryside are putting in kitchens like this:

• erikanh
    15 years ago

fondant, thank you for sharing those photos, I really enjoyed them. Are you in the middle of your renovation at the moment? I would love to see your finished kitchen.

Erika

• gglks
    15 years ago

i also went back and forth between glazed and painted. i thought the glazed would be nice for "hiding dirt". for what is worth, i ended up with painted. i have a friend who works for a very high end kitchen designer in chicago and he is the one who told me to stay away from glazed.....painted is much more classic and won't go out of style.

• amck2
    15 years ago

I vote for creamy white painted instead of glazed.

• dreamsalive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You all have offered great feedback. I love Pierre Deux. I am leaning now toward the creamy cabs w/ no glazing b/c I really don't want to date my "dream" kitchen.

I agree, the accessories go a long way and can be changed out when/if I want a different look. I have recently purchased a beautiful distressed maple trestle table, ladderback chairs which I'll have cushions made for, and 2 parsons end chairs in a vintage toile fabric. My island stools I found on ebay for a steal - brand new Pierre Deux stools for $125 each (reg 450!)! So I'm definitely incorporating that look, but needed affirmation on the cabs. So glad that you all agree!!! Thanks for the feedback.

• amck2
    15 years ago

The items you've chosen for your kitchen sound lovely. I hope you will post photos when you're done!

• fondantfancy
    15 years ago

It sounds like you with have a lovely kitchen. I just think labeling anything as "french country" is a bit misleading. but then you should see what the french call an "american kitchen"!

We are in the middle of our kitchen reno. We are doing DIY, Ikea style, so it is taking a long time. We have redone the floor and most of the cabinets are in, but still have to finish the counters and backsplash and lighting and get the stove installed.

It won't be a "french country kitchen" but it will be a fully functional kitchen in the French countryside and that will do me.

I'll post when I've finished.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

fondant,
    those are GREAT pictures. Can't wait to see what yours will look like. I love the pics you posted particularly the one with the long wooden table and chairs with black legs. I would call that Rustic Chic if we are labelling things! :)

Here is a pic of some beautiful antique tiles. I saw this kitchen in another magazine and they gave a little bit more information on the tiles and I think I recall them described as french.

A friend had a kitchen with gorgeous reclaimed antique tile which she purchased from Paris Ceramics in the design center in Boston. I am sure she paid a fortune but it set her kitchen apart and elevated the other rather ordinary elements to new heights.

here's the pic from Cottage Living Kitchen magazine (I'm telling you this particular magazine had a million and one ideas for inspiration):

• segbrown
    15 years ago

One of the first (maybe the very first) pages I ever tore out as a kitchen inspiration, probably 10 years ago, was from a Pierre Deux catalog. It had classic white cabinets and a more rustic backsplash, maybe tumbled marble; I can't remember the counters, I think some beige-ish stone.

The rest of the kitchen was as mamadadapaige described: wrought iron accents, red stools with cushions of the classic Avignonet print, potted herbs, Quimper-type faience ... but the bones were simple and classic and flexible.

I have since lost the tear sheet, but I still want white cabinets, even though they are apparently popular now. (That said, I live in Colorado, and almost no one I know is putting in white ... everything is very brown, rustic, as if we live in Beaver Creek rather than Denver. It's true that I've seen a couple of gorgeous white kitchens on the board from CO residents, but I think it really isn't terribly common here. But I digress...)

• dreamsalive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys have been awesome. The pics from fondantfancy made me laugh - pretty funny to see how Americans define French Country style!

How about another question for you experts! I would like to put two iron chandeliers over my island and a lighted potrack over my trestle table. I don't intend on hanging pots from the potrack (can remove the hooks) - and, yes I do know that pot racks traditionally go over the island and have pots hanging from them. Do you think it will look strange to have http://www.potracksgalore.com/hanging-pot-racks/wrought-iron/tahoe6shadelightedroundironpotrack.cfm over my table?
    Thanks!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!