Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tina999_gw

Contemporary kitchen lovers - are there any?

tina999
16 years ago

I am putting in a totally contemporary kitchen. As in "no wood", all color, no square, all rounded cabinets. Naturally liking things that are totally NOT the accepted norm causes me many issues.... I was wondering if there were others like me here? Any one who dealt with ordering the kitcehn from overseas?

My kitchen will be Fiamberti, a small italian line, but the look is similar to Pedini, Aster, Snaidero.

Comments (52)

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

We love all kinds of contemporary. We decided to go more casual & organic in our new house, so the entire house, not just the kitchen, is primarily wood & stone, plus glass (& some steel).

• hedygs
    16 years ago

Love, love, love contemporary kitchens. You will see some gorgeous kitchens that are modern/contemporary here.

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

I LOVE the modern Italian kitchen! When I first sarted looking at Italian lines I went to the showrooms and asked "do you have black laquer"? Black was just coming out in many of the Italian cabinet lines. Most people kind of looked at me like, "are you sure you want all black", but they were too polite to actually say it to me. I decided that I was going to do my kitchen the way I wanted it and not listen to anyone else and that's exactly what I did.
    It is very different from most kitchens and some people loved it and some did not like it at all. I am very happy with the way it turned out and that is what's important.
    Design your kitchen as if it you were an artist and the empty kitchen is your canvas. To me Italian kitchens are art. Go with your instincts and do something different. Good luck I will be interested in your progress.

gizmonike,
    Your kitchen is gorgeous. It looks like a magazine picture. WOW

Donna

• rgillman
    16 years ago

As far as I am concerned, contemporary kitchens are in the minority on this list - but there are a few that have been my inspirations.

We're doing contemporary, but wood - similar to the look Gizmonike has, but with hardwood floors and soapstone counters. Haven't dealt yet with backsplash: can't afford Glasskote, don't want subway tile --- argh. The Italian laquered look is fabulous - go for it!

• mls99
    16 years ago

Oh yes! One of the reasons we bought our house 3 years ago was because the kitchens and bathrooms needed renovating, and that way we could do them in the style we wanted rather than live with wooden cabinets from someone else's remodel. Our kitchen remodel starts in about 2 months: cabinets are glossy blue with integrated aluminium handle (from IKEA). I love the higher end Italian and German manufacturers, but they're outside my budget. It's disappointing to me that IKEA is discontinuing the blue cabinet doors later this year to put in another wooden door, sigh.

And it's probably something to do with not appreciating wood craftsmanship, but I just don't get the attraction of framed cabinets. I moved to the US 8 years ago from Europe and have been bamboozled by them!

I like clean lines, little clutter, induction cooktop! I'm glad to have found similar-minded people here :)

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

IKEA makes very nice cabinets. The only reason I didn't get IKEA was because they were discontinuing their black laminate cabinets. Why do they keep changing their finishes?
    Donna

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

I love things contemporary, too, and put in a contemporary kitchen too however I don't care for bright colours or the round shapes of a lot of the Italian designs - my own preferences run to very hard edged, straight lines, and minimalist decor - more Germanic than Italian, I suppose. A good architectural hybrid of industrial and natural is what I'm speaking of BUT natural with strict, hard edges and straight lines. Anyhow, either way, I don't think I'd be any help since I don't care for and therefore know about bright colours or the rounded shapes you are referring to - neither in the architecture and layout, nor in furniture - but I just wanted to pipe and say "Yes" to contemporary.

• flatlander62
    16 years ago

Alas, neither my husband, my house, nor probably my neighborhood would support a contemporary kitchen. And I don't really have the design knowledge to pull it off very well either. But, I've been thinking a Glasskote backsplash might be really functional, even in a less than contemporary kitchen. However, I have no idea about pricing; I gather here it's rather expensive. Any estimates on $ per SF?

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

tina999,
    I love rounded cabinets and I love bright colored lacquer. Don't ask for too many opinion, just go with what you like.
    Dare to be different.
    Donna

• quantumkitten
    16 years ago

Another modern ("contemporary" sounds too--I don't know--soft for me) girl here. I hope to be posting pictures of my new kitchen soon (still so much to do!). Like mindstorm, I'm a fan of clean, angular, minimal design, although my kitchen is turning out to be a bit less severe than I would have expected of myself. No imported cabinets for me; I used KraftMaid's modern Venicia line because it was affordable and offered a finish that I liked (Steel Gloss).

Gizmonike, I swoon every time you post a picture of your kitchen. I love the choices you made in there. The materials, the layout, the functionality--a dream on every level.

• pierreone
    16 years ago

I'm also another modern kitchen person and chose to go with color - red lacquer. It took DH and me a week of serious debating on whether to do wood or color, but in the end the color won out. It's a very "livable" red and with all the other neutral elements and amount of light in the kitchen, it doesn't feel overwhelming, at least to us.

We used a large, off-white porcelain tile that looks a lot like concrete for the floor, sheet glass backsplash (from a local glass fabricator), and an off-white quartz that has various shades of grey specs and an aluminum edge.

You asked if anyone has dealt with ordering from overseas. Our cabinets (Scavolini) and our countertops both came from Italy. The biggest thing was the lead time - it took 4.5 months to receive our order. They fabricated one section of our countertop wrong, so it took another 4 months to get the correct section.

Here are (bad) pictures of our kitchen at 90% done. Most were taken at night, so the color is a little off, especially on the floor.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern red kitchen

• coolbeansw
    16 years ago

Count me in for contemporary. I drooled over all the Italian lines (none of which were available locally in central Virginia) and finally found what I needed two hours out of town -- from a German line, Leicht. Minimalist, straight lines, glossy laminate, integrated pulls. I will post final pictures once my glass backsplash is installed in mid-March.

For glass backsplash fanciers, GlassKote is not the only game in town! Their quote was approximately $120 per square foot (installed), but I got two others closer to $60 per square foot.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Glasskote is not in my budget, either; I'll have to check the local glass places. Problem is, I want clean, contemporary, but with warmth. Hmmm...

• plllog
    16 years ago

Pierreone, you're right about that red being "livable"! A lot of the red lacquers I've seen demand a type A personality live there I think (or maybe someone hyperactive?) but yours doesn't have that cattle prod effect. It's very pleasant and pretty.

Tina999, I saw on another thread that you indeed are doing the Butterfly. Your colors sound lovely. Many oohs and ahhs will be coming your way :) I love the look of lacquer cabinets, and the curves are so sensual :) I hope you'll post pictures for us to admire, especially since lacquer just wouldn't "go" in my house.

My house is only twenty-some years old (I've had it six), but it was a tear down in an older neighborhood. The only comparable style I've found for it is "New Orleans". Originally, I was going to do a stylish, white, traditional kitchen, which would reinforce my designated "style" of the house. My appliance choices, on the other hand, are pulling me into the here and now. I found this website (BEWARE big time memory hog/long download) with some fabulous designs, though more on the Christian Louboutin side (see Fashion vs. Function) than the Red Wing. But I've found some nuggets of inspiration in it.

• marthavila
    16 years ago

I am lover of high functioning, well-designed kitchens no matter the style or period. As such, I have seen all kinds of kitchens on this forum that I absolutely adore -- from warm and cozy cottage/country to cool and sophisticated Euro-American contemporary. As for me, I'm choosing to install a somewhat eclectic period/cottage/french country kitchen in my own turn-of-the century, NYC limestone townhouse. Even so, some of my appliances will be as modern as it gets. Yet if I lived in a NYC penthouse, I'd certainly be installing the most modern-day, minimalist cool kitchen I could dream of. . . and afford! :)

I'm not sure what is the "accepted norm" in kitchen design. But, as long as you're most comfortable in "pushing the envelope," I say go for it! From what I have seen, you have plenty of fellow travelers in the contemporary kitchen club on this forum --including those who have shared photos of their fabulous kitchens that are inspiring to us all. So, while I fantasize daily about the "sophisticated country/cottage kitchen" of my dreams, I'm also looking forward to seeing the stunning contemporary kitchen you're going to produce!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Another modern kitchen lover here. We went for something we call "local modern", because it's a combination of Ikea Hallarum and some locally-made accent shelves and doors in reclaimed VG fir. We also integrated curves, not just all angles, to play off each other and off the straight lines. raynag, I'm thinking that some curves, some natural-finish wood that will age, some warm tones in the materials choices--some elements to help "warm" up modern or contemporary, IMO.

• giacomo_it
    16 years ago

Hi sorry to GW I will love answer to every post but right now I'm swamp working from Napa to Ny projects and my base town Chicago!

Tina999 don't worry there are many people that are ordering kitchen from Italy! you will enjoy :-)

I will probably get soon some pictures, but mostly will be in march.

p.S. Donna I'm moving soon (looking for a space to have a little showroom) but I will contact soon.
    STAY WARM!

• zinnah
    16 years ago

Ours is definitely modern, but not stark and pure, it has clean lines with cherry and blue laminate cabinets, metal and glass, and color, blue, red, and yellow as well as some interesting details. Will post pictures after a few more details are finished. Wanted modern because it fit our home and our personal design aesthetic and gave us more design and functional freedom. I appreciate the traditional designs that predominate here, but they were not for us. I also like people's reaction to our design. If we had a more standard design, we would have a lot of "That's very nice". Instead, it's fun to watch jaws drop, especially those who saw the before. Yes there are lovers of contemporary design here, and you should able to learn and get good answers to your questions from many participants. There is a lot of knowledge here, just follow your own path.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Our kitchen is contemporary, but not ultra-modern. We wanted contemporary with warmth, and chose slab door cherry cabs in order to achieve that look and feel. We are very happy with it. I LOVE Donna's kitchen, and pierreone's kitchen (will always be true to my long time favorite style!), but find myself leaning less towards the real high-tech, stark furnishings, and more towards a slightly dialed down version of the same. You can see pics in the in-progress kitchens blog under cat_mom.

Here is a link that might be useful: In-Progress blog

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Cat_mom, yours is also one of the kitchens I like - as you know. And Donna - yours is sophisticated to the max! Another one that inspired me was Evergreen Dan's kitchen - if you haven't see it, you have to go take a look. Go to the FKB and find him! His 'before' kitchen looks like a twin of mine - even the size and shape are similar.

Flyleft - the floor will be natural oak to match the rest of the house, the cabs natural cherry that will age, the counters --soapstone, surely a warm look Curved range hood (Zephyr Tamburo) curve at one end of the island and warm color (golds? persimmons?) on the wall. Backsplash is my issue: I am thinking something coppery, but not copper tiles. We'll see once the soapstone is in. And in my modern kitchen, bookshelves (always add warmth)and maybe some of my vintage tins and signs as a counterpoint to the clean lines.

Rarely in my life do I have a vision of what I want something to look like: just what I want it to FEEL like - you know what I mean, I think. We all want to feel happy when we walk into that room. It's so good to find kindred spirits here!

Zinnah - your kitchen sounds like great fun - is there a picture of it somewhere?

• revans1
    16 years ago

Here are some pics of our contemporary kitchen, completed last year

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

That sounds beautiful, raynag.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Revans - I remember admiring your kitchen a long time ago (or what seems like a long time ago) and thinking how dramatic it was! I also enjoyed Blue's painting and the chair. Your kitchen belongs on the FKB.

Robin - I thought you were done. Almost?

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Rayna--oh yeah, pretty much (still haven't sprayed the back of that glass switchplate sample we'd gotten for the splash--to see if we want to order them, and haven't even seriously looked for any above the cab accessories). Just haven't taken any photos of the whole shebang to post yet. Every weekend I say I'm gonna do it (while the kitchen is clean!) and I don't. Maybe this weekend....LOL!

• tartanhabit
    16 years ago

Yes, I'm a fan of contemporary although not quite the same as the way you're going. We'll be using wood, a contemporary shaker cabinet, all flat drawers and very straight lines.

I've looked into glass backsplashes. And for anyone interested here Glasskote was quoting me $900 approx for a piece of glass 30' x 36'. Pretty pricey but we may still do it. A local company can do it for a bit less using the USColorglass system. There's a link below to UScolorglass and from that, you can find a local contact.

Keep us posted. Sorry I can't directly answer your other questions but this thread piqued my interest! All my favourite contemporary kitchen folks are weighing in here. Wish I could remember some others.

Here is a link that might be useful: US colorglass has local contacts

• sienne_c
    16 years ago

I'm another contemporary kitchen person. Lacquer wasn't in the cards for me since I wanted the kitchen and DR to 'flow' into one another. I have 2 different woods - wenge and maple - with glass accents which echo the materials in my DR. I also have a glass backsplash. It was fabricated by a local Chicago company, Glassworks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished kitchen photos

• sjerin
    16 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to clean a glass backsplash? I'm thinking specifically of the oil spatters behind the cooktop. I would guess Windex, but maybe there's something better.

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

I analyzed a whole host of glass companies and while many were cheaper than Glasskote, they were by far and away the most knowledgeable about their product, measurements, installation, etc compared to any of the glass shops around who were willing to sell me whatever I wanted but wanted nothing to do with the measuring, installing or provide any advice for the same. So to me, it was well worth it to use Glasskote. I don't recall the numbers but I think my bill was ~$2500 for a 12' run of glass although with various heights: - up to 34" at the cooktop/hood, and down to 8" or 10" at the long window stretch. Ball parking it all, it comes to about $120/sq. ft. which was only marginally more than the granite countertop rate. Anyhow, I thought they were excellent - easiest bill I paid in the entire remodel was theirs.

Sjerin, I merely use a sponge if that's what I'm using to wipe up the granite or for the days that I'm being more complete about the cleaning, I use a moist miracle cloth - basically, whatever I'm using on the granite although I make sure it is clean. Glass is REALLY easy to clean - I know. We have it throughout our house. I have a shower that in ENTIRELY glass - from two walls that have glass panels adhered to them to two standalone glass walls such as you may have seen more typically. I keep a miracle cloth hanging on the shower door (i know, i know, go for sleek then step it back with a rag front and center, but I get lazy sometimes and don't put it where it belongs). I wipe the shower down with the MC - it takes me about 90seconds and I have NO build up - I've only used Windex about once a year in there for the past 3 years we've had that shower done. Have another bath that is stone tile and glass panels - same story for the glass. Glass is VERY VERY easy to maintain.

• westsider40
    16 years ago

Yes, me too! I love modern, always have.
    I am in the minority about having 'warmth'. I want cold, icy cold. Clean. If I had my dream house, every wall would be a closet or hidden storage. My mania stems from living with extreme clutter, pathological packrats (think 700 rolls of toilet paper stashed in the basement by my husband)oh, it's too long a story. Laugh, but it's true! I have no energy left to clean, dust, store, find a spot for anything. Just paintings on the walls. After 30 years in the same house, I use the same color paint, BM Super white, in every room, just different finishes, gloss, semi, flat or eggshell. That way I can always find the right can for touch-ups. Give me white, give me simple, good architecture, color in paintings. I equate warmth with clutter. A ceramic rooster on my teeny counters would put me in the loony bin for the rest of my life! That said, I am not judgmental. I can appreciate rooms of warmth and stuff, for others, but not for me.
    The worst part is that, never, in my lifetime, will I ever be able to live in my dream clutter free space. Whenever I toss something out, THEY bring in more stuff.

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

westsider,
    WOW, you and I could be twins. I love icy cold and clean. I tend to decorate very masculine without any flowers or frills. I love stark. My walls are filled with Patrick Nagel artwork. The women in the pictures all have stark white faces.
    I couldn't believe what you said about your paint. I also use Benjamin Moore Super White. I've just finished my bathroom and will be starting to paint next week. My contractor told me to choose a color. I told him Super White and he didn't seem to like my choice. LOL I have Super White throughtout entire my condo. I don't like glossy finishes either. Since you seem to be familiar with the BM finishes what do you think about this? I'm going with a pearl finish on the bathroom walls and satin on the trim. I really wanted all matte.

My dream house would be all glass with stark white walls and white lacquer kitchen cabinets. (with a view of the ocean of course) Like the house in "Hand That Rocks The Cradle", did you see that movie?

Donna

• sjerin
    16 years ago

Thank you for sharing, Mindstorm, that's good info to have!

• DYH
    16 years ago

I always love seeing a job well done...it doesn't matter what style. A beautiful kitchen can be any style to me.

I don't have a contemporary house, so I don't have a contemporary kitchen. A friend of mine is building a contemporary house and I'm helping her find info and inspiration photos.

I LOVE the contemporary kitchens that I've seen here. The streamlined, clean lines are stunning. The colors, especially some of the backsplashes and granites are astounding.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Hey--count me in on the white walls bandwagon! BM White 01 throughout our entire house (eggshell finish on all surfaces, though we should have used pearl on the baseboards perhaps--they're a bit chalky-looking). Will probably use the same color in the bathrooms, too, or at least the two upstairs. I'm leaning towards changing the white for the downstairs to an ever-so-slightly creamier white (any suggestions? Something the color of fresh heavy cream?).

• DYH
    16 years ago

If you want a "fresh heavy cream" white, look at SW (Martha Stewart) Glass of Milk. It has gold undertones. We have it on our kitchen walls and all of our beadboard and trimwork throughout the house.

• westsider40
    16 years ago

Donna, Not only are we twins, but we are neighboring soul-mates. I know you live in Chgo-I live in Northbrook! Yesss, northern suburb of Chgo. I love your kitchen. I love the way you think. Beauty over function? No dishwasher. But absolutely. It's not necessary when space is a premium and there are not a lot of dishes to wash! And you think out of the box! Am I correct in recalling that your beautiful cabs are smack up against the window?
    Super White. wow. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the paint finish about which you inquired, but go with your gut. Your gut and vision have never failed you. You are like a rock star of kitchens, here on GW! And probably other sites. And in the newspapers! Pretty soon you'll have papparazzi following you!
    Congrats on your new bath!
    No, I haven't seen that movie. But just to show that I, being open, broad-minded, worldly and only slightly immodest,(not stuck on modern only) did totally love that beach house in the movie with Jack Nicholson/Diane Keaton. Was it 'Something's gotta give'?
    An all glass, modern, ocean view house? Sight unseen, yesss.
    There's more to life than design, no? Is this obsession sick? By definition, obsession IS sick! lol

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

westsider,
    I don't know what to say. Your compliments have me at a loss for words. There are so many talented people on this forum. Each time I see a finished kitchen I am in awe.
    Maybe in the spring we could get together for lunch. I tried once to set up a Chicago get together but it didn't work out. I guess I could try again this summer.

cat_mom,
    BM 01 white, that's my color throughout my entire condo.

Donna

• grannysmith18
    16 years ago

Wow, I thought I'm all alone in this world. I'm new to this forum, but I'm hoping to get some help and hand-holding. I love contemporary kitchens, and it's the project I'm about to embark on. I spent the day yesterday at the A&D building in New York City - I live in NJ. Such beautiful, beautiful contemporary kitchens. My goal is to get the look without the crazy prices.

Right now my plan is to get quartersawn oak for my base cabinets, and shiny white lacquer everywhere else (one full wall with the fridge, double stainless steel Viking oven, pull-out pantry) and another all white wall with just cabinets and a TV - maybe a desk at the end of the run.

You'll be hearing from me.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

helou - welcome. I'm in NJ as well, in Morristown. Can anyone get into the A&D building or do you need to go with a designer?

Your selection sounds beautiful. I have more of an eclectic mix of tastes. Trying to combine modern and traditional in the same kitchen, but I have always loved the mix of white and brown. Especially white lacquer. I love the combo in this kitchen. Might not be your taste because it is not all modern, but I thought you might like the frig. I love it. Metropolitan Home seems to always have kitchens with that combo. Can't wait to see what you have planned.

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

I can't believe there are so many fans of Benny M's White 01!

Last week I visited the BM store and came back with a variety of colours and the one white I was told was great was BM white 01. Still want to buy a sample and try first though.

• grannysmith18
    16 years ago

Mahlgold, thanks for your encouragement. Anyone can get in to the A&D building. I think that years ago it was restricted to professionals only, but not anymore. It's at 150 East 58 Street between Lexington & 3rd. There's a Poggenpohl showroom with its own entrance, and the main entrance to the entire building right next door. At the guard's desk there is booklet listing all the showrooms in the building, and a listing in the back by type - kitchens, appliances, stone & tile, etc. Bring your measurements, floor plans, etc., Lots of the showrooms have designers who will be willing to look at your stuff and offer advice - obviously they're hoping to make a sale. I found the people at Snaidero & Biolotti to be especially nice. Whatever else you do, be sure to go to the Wolf - SubZero showroom on the 5th floor. It's just amazing, and so interesting how they hide refrigerators. It's worth going in to the city for a day just to see the lastest & greatest available out there.

Thanks for picture of the fridge; it's very similar to what I want. I've pretty much decided on the Kitchen-Aid 42" built-in. They seem to be the only ones who make a built in French door refrigerator, freezer on the bottom, that takes panels (to match the cabinets). Only downside, for me, is that it doesn't have a filtered water dispenser (the ice IS made with filtered water) which seems to be quite a common feature even in much less expensive refrigerators, which I would have liked.

As I become more comfortable navigating the forums I'll post my plans & some pictures, and, especially, my dilemmas :-(.

• caribcherub
    16 years ago

Tina,
    I applaud your decision to go "Euro". This is my first post. DH is not helping at all. He's concerned with the new roof on our 1920s home. We will be putting on a standing seam roof, my 2 cents worth will be the color. I'm considering a new color called copper penny.
    Below, I describe some of my intended project, however, I first want to state that although I love wood, I also love the high gloss cabinets.
    In the meantime (the last 6 months), I've been reading this site and collecting back editions of Kitchen and Bath Designs and hitting the road and internet shopping. I've decided the jalousie windows in the kitchen must go. They are not the original windows. Those 3 windows will be replaced with casement windows with possibly some leaded glass to carry the look of the home to the kitchen.
    My big epiphany is to take the hutch in the dining room, which has beautiful leaded glass doors, and knock out the back of the hutch which shares a common wall to the kitchen and transform it into a "vitrine" or trophy case/breakfront. I'll finish the other side with leaded glass doors and fake drawer fronts on the bottom to achieve an end result of a piece of furniture placed between the two rooms. I'll also change the windows in the kitchen, restore the wood floors, have gas brought to the house and start moving the plumbing for the sink. Actually, the center of the hutch is now open to the kitchen and the sides are not. At some point the former owners decided they needed to serve boarders in the dining room by knocking out the center of the hutch which allowed them to serve from the kitchen through the pantry into the dining room. The pantry is no longer there, I knocked those walls down when I moved in. It wasn't original to the house, I think they created it in the 40s. And there was nothing of interest in it except old shelves.
    My other "i-gotta-have" is the Cornu Fe range. I'm dreaming of the high gloss black enamel with stainless and copper trim. The link below shows the La Cornue kitchens using a mix of both high gloss enamel and old world woods. I guess I'm trying to achieve a similar look. I'm guessing it's Euro French Country!
    It seems to me that the high gloss, although considered modern, could also be considered "Art Deco". And with a further stretch of the imagination, I'm exploring the possibility that my Prairie Style home could support a mixture of old world furniture and some "Euro" cabinetry. Does anyone have an opinion on this rational?
    My home is located in downtown West Palm Beach. The very last residential home in downtown. It also has more of a feel of a northern home than most homes in southern Florida.
    Sorry to go on for so long. Any takers on my "Euro/Country" idea?
    --- Kathy in West Palm

Here is a link that might be useful: La Cornue Ranges

• tina999
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HI Kathy,
    you know our house is also built traditional, colonial. so we have decided to go mmodern against all oddds. :)
    I am not sure black is good color for high gloss - first of all, it won't be practical, it will show everything! Second, it will create certain darkness, so in my opinion black is only to be considered if you have a very bright kitchen. Did you see Venicia line from Kraftmaid? they have a gorgeous grey color. check it out.

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

I have black high gloss lacquer and it does not show marks as much as I thought it would. It also does not make the room look small. My condo is all windows so that probably helps. My bathroom is very small and has no windows. I just put in a very dark taupe limestone all the way up two of the walls and a dark zebrawood vanity. It does not close in the room at all.
    Donna

• tina999
    Original Author
    16 years ago

really? you know, i was so afraid of creating a dark kitchen, that i chose my cabinets in two colors - the top will be light sage, the bottom - dark gray. can't wait to actaully see the colors - i don't want to choose the floor or countertops until i see the cabinets. I chose the color based on the little tiny swab in the brochure :))

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

I saw you posting those colors on another thread and thought OH yes, now that's a combination dear to my heart! I didn't think anyone else liked green and grey together :)

• ccc123
    16 years ago

Pierreone --

Love your white floor tile!

Do you remember the name of it? We've been trying to find a bright white, large format, porcelain floor tile. Very difficult to find in the larger sizes.

Thanks!

• gpwuster
    16 years ago

Me, Me, Me! Heehee.. love the contemporary/modern look. I have mixture of cherry wood,blueish lacquer, glass, stainless in my kitchen. Cross my fingers it will get done in few months.

• gpwuster
    16 years ago

oh, forgot to mention, Mindstorm, love your kitchen! I thought about the glass backsplash and also talked to Glasskote but just not sure about how those big glass tiles are mounted. So I decided with granite...

• tina999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, believe it or not ( i don't!) but my kitchen is on its way - from Italy. I know that for a fact because the store offered me to make a direct wire transfer to Italy. :) I refused but it is nice to know this whole ordering thing was not a big scam. After all, i ordered from a place in Brooklyn, NY, so i had reasons to doubt.
    Now sometimes in May the fun will begin. Having read enough read, i do foresee a nervous breakdown or two.