Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cawfeegirl_gw

For those of you with Verde Peacock...talk me off the ledge!!!!

cawfeegirl
14 years ago

My cabinets will be Maple Toffee (not my actual cabs, click pic to enlarge):
{{gwi:1561918}}From Drop Box

We chose Verde Peacock on Monday for our granite. So, I came home with a small sample of it but started Googling images of it to see pics of it with maple cabs. Most of the pictures I came across, I was happy with but I DID come across some where the Peacock looked emerald-y. It scared me!!! I dont want a GREEEEN look...I chose it because it was very similar to Uba Tuba but with larger flecks in it.

Now Im getting nervous and am starting to look at Tropical Brown!! But Im sure the TB will be too bland with these cabinets, right?

Tell me your Verde Peacock isnt emerald-y green!!

Comments (11)

• cosmocat
    14 years ago

Sadly, verde means Green
    Example: Mesa Verde...means Green Table in Spanish
    Can you look at the actual piece of granite you are choosing and see how green it really looks. The sample may look completely different from the actual slab.
    HTH

• cawfeegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I realize that Verde is green, but the Peacock is really a dark, almost black, green. Same as Uba Tuba. Its why we didnt go for the Verde Butterfly because we thought that was too emerald-y green.
    I guess I shouldnt have gone on the internet to look at other images because, really, images can come across so differently on a monitor. I took my sample outside in the daylight this morning and it really seems fine..... as long as MY slab is not emerald, then I should be OK.
    Thanks for your input!! Im feeling better about it this morning....

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Did you see your entire slab? If you saw your slab which will be put in your kitchen and liked it and felt it wasn't "green" you should be fine. What I have found is that the same granite can look like A at one yard and the same named granite could look like B at a different yard. I guess that's why it's recommended that you should see the slab that you're choosing. HTH.

I think the verde peacock will look very nice with your maple cabinets.

• User
    14 years ago

Cawfeegirl, It's called Verde Peacock for reason. Peacocks have the same coloring, at a glance their feathers look black, but in the sunlight, they have a shimmering green to them. It's not prevalent by any means, just subtly there. Also if you catch those spots in the lighting, many of them are a deep blue just like the Peacock as well. It's a beautiful rich looking stone. That said, you don't really want people to talk you into a stone you're not 100% in love with, do you? Granite is a long term thing and you're the one who will be living with it. In regards to your thoughts on switching, I know it's a popular stone and I don't want to offend anyone when I say this, but IMHO tropical brown is no where near as pretty as the Verde Peacock.

{{gwi:1561920}}

{{gwi:1561921}}

this is an occlusion we had left in because we loved the way it looked.

{{gwi:1561922}}

• cawfeegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

chris45ny: thats part of my problem. I have another thread going here about not being able to pick out my slab....The granite yard wont let me tag a certain slab, they have just showed me a "representative" slab from the lot and will give me the slab themselves. THATS why Im nervous!!

canajo: your house is beautiful!! And I love the beveled subway tiles!! Thanks for posting the pictures, Im feeling better already.

lukkiirish: For me, the Tropical Brown is the safe choice. Which is why I want to go with the Peacock!! I really do love it and now, seeing your pics along with the others', I feel better about it. I just wish I could pick my OWN slab. But Im working on that, too! Your VP is gorgeous! Im sold!

• User
    14 years ago

Cawfeegirl, Thanks, we love our Peacock and I honestly believe you will too. It's versatile, easy to maintain (no sealing required) and I get compliments on it all the time. Guests think it's just black, but then when they see it up close they're surprised by all the colors.

In regards to picking your own slabs, you should most definitely insist and if they refuse, just threaten to go elsewhere. Almost all Granite Suppliers have Peacock Granite and Granite sales aren't what they used to be. They won't want to loose a sale just because you couldn't pick your own slab. Stand your ground, this is a huge investment and you shouldn't be expected to trust anyone else's judgment about which slab is right for you. If they won't accommodate you, shop around. And, even if they do let you pick your own slab and there's too much green in their lots, put off tagging one and shop around. As you have seen in pictures, the saturation of green can also vary from stone to stone. Don't settle, find a slab you love so you can be excited about it!

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

cawfeegirl-did they tell you why you can't pick your own slab?? This is a LOT of money you'll be spending and you should get to pick your slab. Every place we went to told us we'd be able to pick our slab. At the place where we loved the granite there were several slabs of this granite stacked together with numbers on them for sequence. We were told since they had all been "sliced" at the same time they would all be similar. Showed us the first 3 slabs and they did look the same. We tagged ours. Come installation day and I'm thinking are these our slabs? because they looked BETTER on the counter than when I saw them as slabs!!

I would urge you to push to be able to select your own slab. Since this is a big hunk of change you need to feel good about this purchase. If they continue to say no, I may urge you to ask yourself why won't they let you do this?? and then think hard and long about going to another place and let them know that this is the reason they are going to lose your business. That's just my advice. HTH.

• prill
    14 years ago

I have to agree with chris45ny - I'd go to a place that would let me pick out my slab. You're making a big investment and granite slabs have a lot of variation. Do you get a chance to see it before they template?

• cawfeegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone...I ended up going to another yard where I was able to pick my slab. I had another thread going here titled "If you have a consistant granite, please answer this for me" and got many, many replies telling me I need to choose my slab.
    The granite people were giving me the excuse that since Verde Peacock is a consistant granite, there was no reason to choose my own slab. That all the slabs in the lot were similar. But I was scared I was going to get a really emerald-y slab. So I went elsewhere and got what I wanted!
    Thanks so much for all of your input. This forum is just so great and has been such a huge help in planning my kitchen reno!

• RockportMA
    9 years ago

I know it's late and you are probably done with your kitchen and loving the slab you picked. Since you went to a stone yard you probably found that while peacock are more consistent than others there are still differences that make it worth looking through. We went to a stone yard with six slabs from a single lot and only really liked one slab (verde peacock to go with natural cherry cabs). Like you we wanted a bit of brown to work with the wood of the cabs. and just a subtle hint of dark green which picked up some of the stone from the back splash.