Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opphop

And to line or not to line...

opphop
9 years ago

I'm preparing to fill all my new kitchen drawers and shelves and I'm curious how many of you use shelf liners. Is there a sanitary or aesthetic reason to use it? Mostly just to cushion the contents? And do most of you put your glasses/cups in upside down or right side up?

Comments (12)

• bordenh
    9 years ago

I do not line my cabinets. I put glasses right side up but mugs upside down. I know, weird.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I line the drawers only to keep contents from sliding around and it just looks nicer. I buy the cheap cushy waffle like liners at Walmart. Glasses and cups upside down.

• soonermagicmama
    9 years ago

I line for ease of cleaning. I use the plastic liners with ridges. Easy to take out of a drawer or off a shelf and wash off in sink. Also like that it keeps things from sliding around in a drawer and allows for airflow under glasses/cups stored upside down.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

I only line shelves that hold sticky/messy stuff like oil and molasses.

Cups and glasses down.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Lined with glasses up... sliding the part that touches your mouth along a shelf seems icky to me. While I keep my shelves very clean, they still do not get washed as often as my glasses do!

• zwizzle
    9 years ago

Ditto Errant. Shelves lined, drinking vessels (glasses and cups) up.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

No liner, but then I chose the shelf and drawer bottom materials (melamine) so they'd be easy to clean, and they are just that (but mine is a modern style, and the drawers were never going to be wood). I used liner in my previous home and actually actively dislike it - I like to be able to move things by sliding them, like pushing glasses to back of the cabinet when unloading the dishwasher. I put glasses and mugs upside down.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

No liners. Glasses and cups up. Putting the rims on something that might never get washed is gross, and I'm already breathing whatever might settle inside them anyway. If I think it's dusty inside, I rinse it before using.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

No liner. My interior shelves and drawers are stained walnut so I don't want to hide them. Glasses down. It never occurred to me that putting the rim side down on a shelf that sits behind closed doors and putting my lips on the glass rim would be any "ickier" than letting whatever settle into the bottom of a glass and letting it mix with my drink. Unless I rinsed my glass every time before using. But I am not that OCD. And we do wipe the shelves down from time to time. Maybe there are other good reasons to have rims up, like maybe less chipping, but the ick factor isn't one of them for me at least.

• avntgardnr
    9 years ago

I lined all of my lower shelves on my top cabinets (not the top 2 because I dont use that stuff much)...my shelves are stained the same as my outer cabs and I didn't want them to scratch.

All my pantries are lined, all my drawers are lined. I've always used shelf paper (contact shelf stuff) but switched this time to the ridged plastic stuff, which I love. Easy to remove and clean...I have 3 younger kids, and they can make a mess ;-)

Cups and mugs all face up. I do rinse the ones that have been in the cabinet if we haven't used them in awhile.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I have always very much disliked any shelf or drawer liner I've seen or used. The liner will get dirty just like a shelf will. Then you've got to clean the liner and the shelf. (Don't tell me you're taking the liner out and not cleaning the shelf before the liner goes back on.)

I've always stored glasses and mugs up. We rotate through them all on a regular basis so nothing sits collecting dust for months at a time. Also, logic tells me to share them up because that's how they get used when you pull them out of the cupboard. Having to handle them with two hands to turn them up if they were stored facing down seems like an opportunity to accidently drop or break one. At least in my house. :)

• zeebee
    9 years ago

Lining everything in the kitchen s soon as the GC's guys finish their cabinet punchlist. Brookhaven included with my cabinet order thick spongy liner for the cabinets that store pots, pans and rattle-y things: the spice pullout, the two drawer banks and the two roll-out shelves. Everything else, I'm using Cushy Cupboards. I'm sensitive to noise and hate the rattling, crashing noises of dishes being replaced into cabs/drawers, so the liner is a must for me.

Almost busted a gut laughing when DH relayed a comment from our GC, questioning why we didn't get glass shelves for the glass-front cabinet we have. I assume he's never been in a kitchen and listened to the sound a coffee mug makes when being put on a glass shelf.

All cups and glasses upside down. DH's quirk, not mine.