Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

I'll bite the bullet and share - 1 yr later - almost finished

loves2cook4six
15 years ago

Smallish kitchen - 11' x 16'

Before:

Dh and I were squashed both working in the corner between the sink and stove. Had to climb over the island to get to the fridge. no where to sit. Dated!!!

Details of new Kitchen

Cabinets custom built by Atr Cabinetry out of Nappanee Indiana (they ship country wide). They're a mix of maple and Cherry with walnut accents. A shameless plug for them - they were FANTASTIC to work for, nothing was impossible and I don't have a single filler or wasted inch in the entire kitchen!

*All new custom cabinets (slab doors) in 3 finishes (maple, cherry and walnut) with mortise-and-tenon cabinet frames and French dovetailed, hand-fitted drawers and catalyzed hand wiped finishes. All cabinet backs are 1/2" and all shelves are 3/4"

*Custom color finishes to match (eyes downcast) laminate chips whose colors I liked together

*Boxes are all maple and the inside stain is the same as all the other maple even where the doors are cherry

*Nearly all drawers in the base cabinets except for corner units, under the sinks and trash. Drawer depths were 100% customizable to fit the contents. (HD could not accommodate this)

*Panels for the fridge, freezer and two dishwashers

*Two way trash pullout accessible from both sides of the island (HD could not accommodate this)

*Pullout pantry tower with toe kick release

*Angled pantry cabinet with two doors

*Angled base cabinet and angled upper display cabinet

*Angled corner cabinet

*30" deep cabinets in the base and ALL the space is usable as custom made drawers go all the way back

*15" deep upper cabinets

*Spice drawer with "hidden drawers" above to maintain line of drawers visually

*Bread drawer with Plexiglas cover

*Glass inset doors on some of the uppers with glass shelves in those cabinets

*Wine glass rack in upper cabinet

*4 Toe kick drawers

*Custom-made can storage drawers

*Soft close Blum blumotion drawer guides on every drawer

*Soft close on all the doors

*5 Custom cherry/walnut intarsia doors

*2 Magic Corner II units

*2 tilt outs under sink

*Tray storage above ovens deep enough to hold trays in double depth

*two hidden cutting boards that pop out - one next to the fridge and one above the microwave

*Instead of a cabinet filler, I also have a small area where I store a step stool. The door from the trash cabinet was made wider to cover this storage area.

*3 cm granite Marona Cohiba - gorgeous, with floating bar and custom stainless steel corbels

*Plugmold which we installed on angled trim

*GE Monogram all refrigerator and all freezer - changing to Miele within a month

*Plumbing to move freezer water line

*De Dietrich induction cooktop from Salon Blue Ridge (fantastic to work with)

*Miele Double ovens with tray cabinet above

*Futurofuturo hood with 900 cfm,

*Relocated every appliance except fridge. Put separate freezer in butlerÂs pantry

*Relocated cleanup sink and installed prep sink,

*Ran water supply and drain for a prep sink,

*Built out a butlerÂs pantry into the garage space

*2 Miele dishwashers (one was our old one which we re-paneled and the new one is the Optima

*Sharp Microwave drawer,

*Kludi(prep) and eBay faucet (Cleanup)

*Blanco Sigranite sinks

*Water chiller and instant hot dispenser and tank

*Dual hot/cold water faucet

*4 built in soap dispensers Delta Brizo

*2 air switches

*Dual tapmaster works prep sink from both sides of island

*Tapmaster for clean up sink

*Recessed lighting as well as pucks in the upper cabinets,

Undercabinet lighting,

*Custom glass island light pendants,

*21 knobs and 60 pulls in stainless steel

*1 Soho Manhandle  a total splurge!!

*Moved and replaced the kitchen window

*Moved the sliding patio door and rebuilt the concrete step on the patio

Custom can storage (the two upper drawers are hidden behind the lower one so it lines up with all the other drawers)

Pot hanger

My absolute fav cabinet - the pullout pantry next to the ovens. It holds the Tupperware containers perfectly and when I pull it out I have EVERYTHING I need for baking right at my fingertips

Cab above the ovens. It's 30" deep and holds SOOOO much

Pot drawers

New Dishwasher

Corner unit closed and open

two way trash pullout

toe kick drawers

Cleanup area and fridge

We love our kitchen. It ended up costing 50% over our original budget and that figure will be going up with the purchase of the Miele Fridge and freezer units.

One surprise cost came about because the KD had the wrong measurements and we had to move the sliding door to accommodate the cabinets so MEASURE and then CHECK the blueprints!

Comments (7)

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's the floor plan for the FKB

{{gwi:1561236}}

• profrip
    15 years ago

Awesome. Your cabinetry is outstanding!

Questions: Source(s) for handles (especially dishwasher and refrigerator)?

Useable depth of toe kick drawer--are you satisfied with these?
    I need about a 1 1/2 inch wide space to store my step stool,
    I couldn't really tell from the picture where your storage was?

Pot hanger in cabinet is superb in concept--do you find it practical, beyond protecting your head from colisions?

Details on lighted cabinets? I've been concerned about amount of light and placement in my plans? What did you find?

Altogether an outstanding design. Congrats!

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, thank you!

The handles are from New Zealand - I don't remember the name of the shop but it was in Auckland. The others are discontinued Hafele handles - ordered and shipped from an online store in Germany.

Our toe kick drawers are unusual in that they incorporate a "normal" drawer. They vary in depth from 5" to 18" floor to top of drawer front.

Our step stool storage is on the outside of the G in a small space that may have been a filler if it weren't for the ingenious storage. It is accessed by opening the trash door

We love the storage in a cabinet. It's no harder to get the pans in there than an overhead rack and so much neater. The hooks were bought at the container store.

We had a lighting designer do our lighting plan. We have cans, under cab lighting and puck lights in the cabinets for display. I'd add more lighting if I were to do it over and also probably didtch the pot cabinet in favor of a bigger window but that's hindsight.

Thanks again

• imacarolinagirl
    15 years ago

Absolutely am drooling over all the bells/whistles of the pullouts, baking pantry and so on.

Totally awesome. The elevated bar and stainless shelf brackets are too cool.

Great job!

• toddimt
    15 years ago

what a great job. You efficiently used all of the space to the max. I have a few questions.

How do you like the pullout pantry. I am working on my layout and I have 4' of wall space 24" deep (normal counter depth) at this time designated for a pantry closet. However, it seems to me that you would get much more storage space using 3 or 4 of these in that same space then just a closet with 12" deep shelves. Seems like a no brainer but since you have a pullout I wanted to get your take. Probably will make a post later on this topic as well

You indicated you have a water chiller & heater. Is it an Everpure? If so which model and if not did you compare brands?

How do you like your corner cabinet? I have a dreaded corner in my design and looking to figure out the best use for it.

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Todds - I LOVE my pullout pantry - it is extremely efficient use of space - not one wasted inch and it's only 10" wide. I'd happily line up 2 or more to make good use of space. It's accessible from both sides so you could make it twice as wide and it would still be just as efficient. Wider than that and you'd start to lose stuff in the middle. Keep in mind it's 30" deep (we have 30" deep countertops and the whole wall lines up) so there is a TON of storage in there.

The water chiller is an Everpure, I don't recall which model and under the sink is so tight I couldn't get in there to find out even if I wanted to. I bought the entire system from Cleanwatersystems.com IIRC and GErry was a great help. I did compare brands but my main criteria was how cold the chiller got the water as we gave up ice and water in the door of the fridge. This one was the coldest and I think it is pretty much always in the high 30's/ very low 40's which is cold enough for us.

The Hafele magic corner units are very expensive again IIRC we paid about $450 through the cabinet maker for each one. Because of the 30" deep cabinets and the limited space for a door opening, they were the best bet for us. Believe it or not, I have even more stuff stored behind them and back in the corner of the cabinets. The back corner is for stuff I literally use once a year as I have to take out the drawers to get there. In a standard 24" deep cabinet these would be the bees knees.

Good luck with your remodel. The best is when it's all done and you find you have a kitchen that not only looks great but is great to work in.

• toddimt
    15 years ago

Did you have to add ventilation under the sink for the Everpure? I have read in other posts that it takes up allot of under sink space. Is it under you prep or regular sink? How big is the base cabinet? Trying to plan a little.

I have ben thinking about 30" deep base cabinets as well. In relation to the tray storage above the ovens you said "Tray storage above ovens deep enough to hold trays in double depth" what do you mean by this?

Back to the pantry pullouts, what is the toe kick release? How does it work? Is this the same Hafele trash toe kick release.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor