Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison0704_gw

It's About Time!

allison0704
18 years ago

We moved in Sept 29th. The kitchen still needs a few adjustments to be completed but I'm so excited to finally be able to take some decent pictures that I'm posting anyway!

I've ordered tile for the range backsplash. It should be in shortly. We need two more pieces of copper for the lower plate rack. The island base needs to be either painted the same color as the island or glazed differently. Shop owner will be here next week and we'll discuss options then. Copper hood still needs its patina.

I found GW when researching appliances online and I'm happy that I did. I enjoy seeing everyone's projects.

Cabinetry: Purchased thru Plain English built by Geoff Chater Workshops, England

Sink: Villeroy & Boch fireclay

Faucet: Rohl

Island countertop: Antique pine finished with "Good Stuff for Wood"

Range: GE Monogram 48" Dual fuel with 6 eyes and a griddle

Refrig: GE Monogram 48"

DishDrawers: Fisher & Paykel

Hood: Custom box using Vent-a-Hood Liner, antique pine trim and copper sheeting

Granite: Honed Golden Leaf, sealed (not enhanced)

Range Backsplash tile sample: Status tile out of Washington State. Frosted Soda, 4"

Left of refrig backsplash: copper sheeting

Range Centerpiece: Antique iron seal from a bridge in NY, weight 75 pounds!

Refrig handles: Emtek...I think.

ORB/Rust hardware: Gerber Hinge Company

Island paint: Farrow and Ball French Grey with custom glaze

Units to left/right of range and left of refrig: pine with a glaze

Refrig unit paint: Farrow & Ball Farrow's Cream with custom glaze

Flooring: rough edge travertine, sealed (not enhanced)

Coffee Station paint: Farrow & Ball black

Coffee Station countertop: Pine, sealed

Coffee Station sink: The Sinkworks (www.sinkworks.com)

Coffee Station faucet: by Newform. Ordered from Tivoli faucets ebay store.

Wall color: SW Moderate White

Trim: Distressed pine with SW Walnut Wainscot stain

Not shown: walk-in pantry in area to right of range wall built-out by trim carpenter. Microwave and toaster are located in pantry on a work table also built by trim carpenter. All stained, SW Walnut Wainscot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allison's Kitchen

Comments (94)

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Teacats!

• LoveTwoCook
    18 years ago

Very cool kitchen--It looks like a Chalon kitchen from England--love those! Love the British knobs too--did your cabinetmaker make them?

Happy cooking!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, LoveTwoCook! My Inspiration link above shows the Wmohms and Chalon islands we borrowed ideas from. The cabinetmaker is in England (link above also). He sent the knobs with the cabinetry. Thanks again, Allison

• vedazu
    18 years ago

allison--Just saw this. It is superb! Your use of color (I'm crazy about the blue/grey paint!) and materials are really extraordinary--copper, wood. all wonderful--and really belongs in a magazine! Bravo!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, vedaZu! The island is F&B's French Grey, which isn't grey but green (laundry and powder rooms are painted French Grey) but the glaze is a light grey. I think it's a beautiful kitchen and I need to start cooking more!

• Mercymygft
    18 years ago

Wow!! Stunning!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Mercymygft! We are enjoying the kitchen/house very much.

• jerzeegirl
    18 years ago

Great job! The cabinetry is exquisite.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much! The owner came back today to finish the lower plate rack and he moved the toe kick back from the front of the island. It looks much better. The faux finisher will be back after Christmas to distress the coffee station more. My tile arrived yesterday for the range backsplash and I've called the tile guy...who hasn't called me back yet. Hope to get it wrapped up soon! Thanks again.

• kay5
    18 years ago

Hi Allison,
    A stunning kitchen! My question for you is, how do you like your Rohl faucet? I am installing the same faucet in my home.
    Thank you

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Kay. I love the faucet. Worth every penny! Very well made. The sprayer button is a little hard to push on but I've gotten used to it. Thanks again. Allison

• mistybear11
    18 years ago

Allison ,All I can say is WoW, amazing, beautiful. I finally got the colour fixed on the moniter and can view pictures again. I love how you mixed all the woods and the all the stones. It works perfectly. There is a little surprise everywhere you look in your kitchen keeps you wanting to see more.

Linda

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Linda. I'm so glad I went in this direction. The cabinetry goes so well with the house.

• arlocat
    18 years ago

What a stunning kitchen. I just love all the details. Your choices for materials are wonderful! You surpassed your inspiration kitchen and then some. I agree that your kitchen belongs on the cover of a magazine! Congratulations on a job well done!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, lvmadison. Isn't it nice to have our kitchens turn out so nice...makes cooking almost fun!

• blondelle
    18 years ago

Allison, your kitchen is just gorgeous!!! What color travertine is that though? There are so many colors from Tuscany, Roman, durango, chairo, to walnut to noce etc. Love to know the color and your source as it's just what I'm looking for! Thanks much!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, blondelle. All the ticket has on it is "Ivory Travertine Versailles." No maker name.

As for it being exactly what you are looking for, you just need to go to a supplier and find what you love. He held our flooring for 5 months since the next shipment would/could vary in color. Good luck with your project!

• diykitchen
    18 years ago

Wow... glad I didn't miss this... I haven't logged on for a very long time so I am just now seeing your stunning kitchen!

It is gorgoues... very European! That copper hood is to die for! I also LOVE your island, the coffee bar, and the area by the fridge. I love how you mixed wood finishes.

This is an absolutely gorgeous kitchen... you must love it!
    Great taste!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, diykitchen. I just finished looking at your kitchen too. You guys did a great job!

• sage63
    18 years ago

allison - FANTASTIC KITCHEN!! I LOVE it, love it! Every detail is so well planned. I used the same tile in my sunroom and I love it in your kitchen and bathroom. We even have saved one of the same inspirational pictures. I dig your taste, girl!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, sage! We have the tile in our sunroom, powder room, pantry and laundry room also. I love it too.

Which inspiration picture do you have?

• sage63
    18 years ago

This one was in my files also:

• beaglebuddy
    18 years ago

I love the copper hood , we have a 36" copper ventahood but I have never seen anything like yours and I have seen a lot of kitchens

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, beaglebuddy.

With all the changes at iVillage, I decided to delete my Shutterfly album. If you'd like to see my kitchen feel free to email me.

Thanks for all your kinds words and compliments. I've enjoyed getting to know all of you and hope we can meet up somewhere on the other side!

Allison

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm posting the link to my photos aka back by popular demand. I really appreciate all your sweet emails. They mean a lot.

The backsplash tile finally arrived. I believe there is one photo with it installed, one without. I still haven't ordered the patina solution for the hood. After having to make planning/construction decisions for over a year, I've slowed down so I enjoy the new house.

Starpooh, feel free to put back on the finished kitchens blog. Thanks for all your hard work. It is a wonderful resource and a nice place to spend time just looking.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

See if this one works:

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Third time's the charm, right?!

(It's times like this, I wish we could edit our posts.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Allison's Kitchen - if I'm lucky!

• starpooh
    18 years ago

Thanks Allison! I'm so glad that you're willing to share your photos on GardenWeb again!

Another forum member was uneasy about including her photos in the blog, and also requested that they be removed. But a few weeks ago we decided to add them back with a few modifications: her two photos were watermarked with her username and, although we included the details, we did not link to her photo album.
    If you're still uneasy about sharing your photos, would you prefer to go with this route?

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That would be great, starpooh. Thanks. I almost asked you to include a watermark but hadn't seen you putting it on the photos until today.

• whitevenetino
    18 years ago

Breathtaking kitchen, Allison. Probably the most beautiful traditional kitchen I have seen, along with Cate's right above yours in the Gallery. Had been searching for your kitchen on the Finished Kitchens Blog, so glad you re-posted. What type of home do you have? And what is the square footage of the kitchen work space proper? Thanks!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, whiteventino. Cate's is one of my favorites also.

The kitchen work area is 12 x 20. The island is 4x9.

Breakfast nook is 12 x 11. The coffee station is 5' wide. I also have a large walk-in pantry, containing a potting bench style table for the toaster and microwave.

Our architect was Jack Arnold; Tulsa, OK. He specializes in European Country homes. Ours has a stone garage that looks like a barn. The house is brick but covered in a motar wash. His original drawing was board and batten but DH wanted no/low maintenance. After originally getting the plans, we looked at them for almost a year before making changes/additions to suit our needs.

I'll post a photo tomorrow afternoon of the outside. I have an older one but the cedar post brackets were not up and I've been waiting on the grass to green up before taking more. One of the last things we need to do outside are add cedar shutters. DH wanted to build them himself and was sidetracked by shoulder surgery in January.

Thanks again.

• Cate_CO
    18 years ago

I'm so happy your pictures are back, Allison! You know how much I love your kitchen and what's so impressive is that you designed this kitchen on your own. Well done! I love everything about it.

I received your message and tried to send you an email, but I don't think you received it. I have a new laptop and lost all my old email addresses on the old one.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Cate. I received your email this morning - just now emailed you back.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Cate. I received your email this morning - just now emailed you back.

• signe
    18 years ago

Allison,
    your kitchen is fabulous. Seems like you got tremendous value for your money.

Maybe I should show your photos to my cabinet maker and see what he has to say.

Thanks for your help.

• chrystyne731
    18 years ago

Allison,

Your kitchen is breathtaking. Is your coffee station custom made? I love it!!!

Chrystyne

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both!

Signe, I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say. His cost seemed high.

Chrystyne, it's all custom, furniture quality pieces (only real wood used thru-out). The coffee station came out of the crate in two main pieces; top cabinet and lower cabinet.

The upper came with the T&G lower section/backsplash, since it is built in runs up the back/behind the glass doors. They installed the countertop, toe kick, crown and side trim pieces on site. The two main parts came painted, but they did everything else after installation. Including the distressing.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is a new link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Working Link to Photos

• budge1
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for reposting. I had read your posts about your kitchen and been so disappointed I couldn't actually see it.

I love your island and am planning something similar but much smaller. It is so nice to see such a beautiful example.

I adore your kitchen. It has such an authentic feel. Thanks again for sharing.

• binsb
    18 years ago

OMG. Your kitchen is to DIE FOR! Thank you so much for sharing!

• thebearsfamily
    18 years ago

Hi Allison,
    I also have been so grateful to see your pictures again.
    Now that you have lived in the house for 7 months, what would you change about your kitchen and what are your favorite things? Anything you are not using at all?
    Also what have you found you liked the best with your copper patinizing experiments? Actually I need to patinize some shiny brass. I HATE shiny brass!
    Thanks, You are a great resource! Yours is among the most beautiful kitchens I've ever seen, and I've been looking for years!
    Dina

• allison0704
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks budge, binsb and Dina. I've been out of town for a week now and I'm really missing my house!

Dina, I have yet to order the patina solution. Soon, I swear and I will post results! I wouldn't change anything other than the tile above the range. He didn't ask me about grout size and I wanted very little. I didn't walk back in the kitchen until he was halfway finished, so I didn't say a word. I try not to let it bother me....it looks better in person than in the photos, imo.

I love the dishdrawers and the walk-in pantry. Do overs - I would get a single DD; I rarely use the bottom one and maybe leave off the coffee station sink, although if we made coffee everyday it would come in handy I'm sure. I love the antique pine on the island.

Thanks again for the compliments.

• meagain1
    17 years ago

Awwww.... The links are all bad. Really wanted to see this kitchen.

• bananasplit
    17 years ago

Yes, I'm really disappointed. I wanted to see it too. :(

• stovegirl
    17 years ago

Just go to the Finished Kitchens blog, and look for Allison0704.

Here is a link that might be useful: LOOK HERE.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've received a few request for shutterfly links to the kitchen. Please check Starpooh's Finished Kitchen Blog for photos. It's a wonderful resource!

*I really need to email Starpooh new/replacement pictures. Is that possible, Starpooh?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen

• julier1234
    17 years ago

Allison - Your kitchen is stunning. I wish I had been around to see all the original pictures. I am considering the GE Monogram products - range and fridge/freezer. Would love to know if you are happy with those choices?

Thanks!

• donnafauna
    16 years ago

Hi Allison0704 -
    I just found your Sept 05 post about your new kitchen! We are adding a kitchen to a house we just bought ...it sounds like we're using a lot of the same materials and we definitely want an eclectic-style kitchen (what I think you have achieved, right?). Unfortunately, I can't find your pics online anymore. Could you please send me a few of your kitchen! I'd love to see it - it sounds wonderful!
    Thanks much,

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Yes PLEASE!!! :o)

• allison0704
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Julier and Donnafauna, sorry! I did not see your posts until today. Thank you. The GE Monogram range and fridge have been fine. No problems, other than a part that needed replacing to due recall when we first moved in - almost 3 years ago. I wasn't sure I would like cooking on gas, but it's fine an easy switch. I love the smaller oven - perfect for most meals.

The FKB has pictures of my kitchen as does Attic Mag's Kitchens We Love. KWL has more photos - scroll down to French Gray Island Kitchen. You can click on the pictures to enlarge.

FKB:

http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/2005/11/allison0704s-kitchen.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens We Love