Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frenchkitty_gw

frenchkitty's finished kitchen

frenchkitty
17 years ago

Hi All! I have had a busy couple of years trying to build a house and live through hurricane Katrina at the same time. I have been a lurker for a long time but life has finally calmed down enough, and I became a member recently. I have had several people asking to see my whole kitchen, so here it goes....there was a LOT of blood sweat and tears from DH and myself and our 2 kids. I know you all can relate to that! We did almost everything ourselves that we could do including paint, flooring, trim, etc. Still need to finish that darned curtain for that big expanse of windows to match the other one! Hope you like it!

Comments (52)

• skw1009
    17 years ago

Frenchkitty.......your kitchen is stunning!!!! Magazine worthy to say the least!

Love the painted and stained cabinets, the brick floor and the neat pantry with the glass front door and painted beadboard....Looks like you used old cabinets and new ones...Sooooo pretty!

Congratulations on creating a perfectly beautiful kitchen!!!!

• MariposaTraicionera
    17 years ago

Absolutely stunning. Really looks posh yet inviting. What is your wall colour? Love the flooring too.

• angelcub
    17 years ago

"Hope you like it!"

Nope, not at all - I LOVE it! : ) You and your family should be rightfully proud. We're diyers, too, so I can appreciate and commiserate with all your hard work. Our kitchen layout is almost identical except I don't have the dining room at the end. Do you like the fridge at the end of the counter? Ours was across from the sink for 16 years, typical triangle configuration, then we moved it for the redo. The kitchen isn't done but I'm using the fridge and I'm liking it in that spot with a landing space to the left.

I've always loved the french country look and you've pulled it off splendidly. All your accessories work so well - love the pigs, too. And the pantry looks similar to what I have planned only I was thinking of a old time screen door (I have more of a cottage/farmhouse style going on). And I've been savings my bead board scraps from other rooms for the inside. Great minds and all that. : )

Can you tell me where you got your spice holder? I will probably put mine in a drawer but if I don't, that holder would work well.

• greenmtn
    17 years ago

Fabulous!!!! I'm ready to move right in. Great, great kitchen!

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much!! Yes, this kitchen has been a fun journey to make, but glad it is finally ready to relax in and enjoy. Let's see, just off the top of my head: Walls: SW Blonde, Ceiling: SW Navajo White, trim SW Dover White, cabinets I did myself with SW Ivoire, chocolate glaze, and Minwax Sealer. Island is SW Black Iron with a gold glaze.
    Granite is New Venetian Gold, Cypress cabinets were made to look old, and I put old style hardware on them from Antiquehardware.com. I distressed the cypress with assorted tools, gave it a light stain and sealed with Briwax. Floors are Old Chicago split brick. Knobs are ORB Emtek as were all my glass doorknobs throughout my house. I love old things, but I wanted modern convenience!
    Viking Stove all gas 48"
    Viking range hood
    Bosch dishwasher (love, love, love it!)
    KitchenAid fridge
    Rohl Shaw's original sink
    My doors in my house are old cypress doors from tear-downs in New Orleans (found BEFORE Katrina)
    Well, that's all I can think of right now; glad to answer any more questions as they come!

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry angelcub, I was posting while you were-
    Yes, I have seen pantrys done with a screen door and I love that! I love cute small houses, big farmhouses, etc. with all their nooks and crannies. I also love cottage style but I have to meld everything into something cohesive! I do like my fridge there; I only wish I would have had the money to put a fridge drawer in on the side with the cypress wall cabinet as that is where all my baking stuff is, and when I need an egg, oh yeah, some milk, oh forgot the butter....you know? But that was an extravagance I had to do without (bonus...walking helps burn calories from eggs, milk and butter!!)
    I love bead board-have it in my laundry and baths, too. I wanted to put a cypress ceiling in, but that was a long story, and in the end, it probably would have made it pretty dark in here.
    I will have to check out the kitchen gallery again and see if I can match some of these friendly people's names with their kitchens!
    FK

• lovemyboys
    17 years ago

Just found the details and more amazing pictures. I am in love! I'm torn between a French inspired vs Tuscan inspired look. I need light cabinetry and flooring due to the lack of light in my house, which leads me more towards French...you may have swayed me even more! I have a feeling I will be going back to these pics a lot! Congrats again...you should be so proud.
    BTW are you in New Orleans?

• pamela928
    17 years ago

How lovely! I wish I had the courage to attempt the professional-looking painting and glazing you achieved.

Is there any way you could give a brief description of how you did it? Thanks so much.
    P.

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, to answer a couple more questions; the spice rack is Thompson's Spice Carousel. I bought it at a local kitchen store, but found one online. The link is below. The rack is plastic in parts, but still pretty sturdy. Most of my spices are on a drawer rack I found at Lowe's in a wide drawer to the right of my range. Love that!

No, not from New Orleans, but close-one hour to the east in MS.

Cabinets have three coats of SW Ivoire, sanded in between. Then I mixed three to one glaze to chocolate colored paint and wiped on and then right off (up and down strokes) with cheesecloth. I concentrated the glaze in the cracks and corners to make it authentic looking. I went through a huge box of cheesecloth I bought at Wal-M. Then three coats of Minwax poly, which gave it the creamy sheen. I have been using it for over a year and have no chips. (And we had 19 people staying here because of Katrina for weeks!) A lot of steps, but really not hard, just waiting for the drying is the hard part because of the two sides. Oh, and the glazing is not hard. The trick is to not go over it more than once, because when the wet glaze hits the glaze already applied, it comes off! Once I realized that, it was a cinch! Hope this helps!

FK

Here is a link that might be useful: spice rack

• shappy
    17 years ago

Gorgeous! Enjoy your hard work.

• sharburk
    17 years ago

You have done a beautiful job with your kitchen.. I love it!

• pamela928
    17 years ago

THANKS so much for the painting lesson. I think I'll try it on a small freestanding cupboard to start. You're an inspiration!
    P.

• jesemy
    17 years ago

How pretty! Love the kitchen!

Can you give me some details about the curtain as well? Did you use a specific pattern?

Congrats on a job well done!

• ycmom
    17 years ago

Congratulations on a beautiful kitchen. I am curious about the type of paint you used on your cabinets. Was it a SW product and if so what was it? I am also using SW Blonde on the walls in my kitchen and adjoining family room. It is a lovely color. Bon Apetite...

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jesemy: Thank you, and yes, it was a Butterick Waverly pattern- B4760

ycmom: thank you, too! My cabinet paint is SW Ivoire in satin latex, and we used their best paint line with their best primer. Didn't want to mess those babies up! You will love Blonde, and Ivoire is great, too!

FK

• jesemy
    17 years ago

Thanks FK--
    One more question if you don't mind--

I'm looking for 2 small paintings similar to the ones you have of chickens. Where did you purchase them or have you seen anything similar online?

Thanks!

• sedeno77
    17 years ago

This is one fabulous kitchen - I love it -

• vicki_ca
    17 years ago

Wowsers! Your kitchen is drop dead gorgeous.

The cabinet finish looks so professional, I would never have guessed it was a do it yourself finish. Were the cabinets custom made to your specs, or were these cabinets that you'd had for years and decided to refinish.

I also like your decorating. You've done an excellent job of blending old world charm with ultra modern appliances, such as that fabulous espresso machine.

I sure hope the owner of the finished kitchen blog sees your post over here.

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you guys! I just cleaned up my kitchen after having a wedding shower here for my niece!
    Vicki--I clipped a lot of magazines and tried to think really hard about my cabinet layout, and then showed the pictures to a cabinet maker who said he could build what I wanted. I really was fortunate, because all my cabinets in the kitchen, built-ins by the fireplace, and bath cabinet in MB cost me about $7,500. I received them unfinished, and that saved me a lot money-wise, but cost me in labor!! But it was worth it in the end. The biggest thing is waiting for them to dry in between coats, and turning the doors and drawers and doing it again. I thought we would never finish, but we did and it was worth it. If a person has DIY skills, and lots of patience, they can do it. My husband and I are not afraid to try things, but we do what we know we can reasonably do, and when we know we would not be happy with the results if we did it, (like sheetrock finishing) we hire that out. But we are not afraid of hard work, and that has paid off. I'm just glad we can enyoy it now--our yard, however, is another story!!

• starpooh
    17 years ago

Gorgeous!

May I please have permission to archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens blog? If so either email me (starpooh at gmail dot com) or submit the FKB Category Checklist.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• mmoo1978
    17 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my new favorite kitchen!! I think I was holding my breath looking at the pictures because it is so stunning. Thank you for sharing these great pics and enjoy your beautiful kitchen.

• watersg
    17 years ago

Love it!! I remodeled a kitchen a few years ago, and now that we've moved, it looks like we'll be doing it again. I'm actually looking forward to it.

My question for you is: do you have the dimensions of your kitchen? I love the layout and my kitchen is really similar. how is it with the hallway, do you get a lot of foot traffic on that side of the island, leading into that hallway? That's where we have a garage.

Great job!!

• walkerni
    17 years ago

I am so jealous that I can't see your kitchen. I am going ot be redoing a kitchen and need your inspiration. Just from what I have read I know I will love your style. Can you please email me the pic or is there another way to see them?
    please please, I am begging :)

• walkerni
    17 years ago

Ok. nevermind. I found that my computer at home showed them. At work we have to strong of security settings to see them. Thanks.
    One more question frenchkitty. Did you have the cabinets installed for the 7500 price or install yourselves? Also were did you buy them and what style are they. Thanks

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi walkerni, Sorry, but I haven't been on here for a while. Our cabinets were custom built and installed, but we did the finishes on them. As far as style, they are a framed flat panel with applied molding; not really a certain name or anything. Hope this helps!

FK

• squirrelheaven
    17 years ago

Love your kitchen, FrenchKitty! Is that a tile brick floor or real brick? How's it working out for you? Very nice :)

Your stove niche is only about 4-1/2" deep?

Looks like great fun to work in :) Beautiful job!

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Squirrel,

My floor is made from sliced antique brick. I really love it because it hides dirt so well. I only realize it is dirty if I feel something on my feet! And you are correct on the niche measurements. I used a molding tile along the bottom to make a ledge a little wider than the sides. I like having all my olive oils and vinegars where I can reach up and grab them. We enjoy our kitchen because it is just so comfy, like an old pair of jeans! Thanks for the compliments!

• myoneandonly
    17 years ago

Kitty, if you haven't grown bored with all the praise, I'd like to add mine. You are a decorating genious, girl! Just proves that creativity and hard work trump an unlimited budget.

• feebs
    17 years ago

Beautiful! Well done! Love the tile backsplash and niche. Can I ask if you enhanced your tile? I keep going back and forth, of course we are not remotely close to installing but trying to get a feel for what I want. I really like your look. It's soft.
    TIA

feebs

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much one and only and feebs! I don't check on the forums as much as I would like so sorry if I am late to reply; life keeps getting in the way!

Feebs; no we did nothing to our tile except install it! I have never regretted my niche, and it is no trouble to keep clean; actually, I just stick the platter in the DW about once a month or even more...

FK

• customdecorator
    17 years ago

This is my absolute dream kitchen!! We are flipping the house we are in now, so not doing anything too fancy, but when we move to our dream home in a couple of years, I will definately be doing something along these lines.

Can you tell me about your pot rack? Where did you get it? Did it come that way or did you build wood sides and attach them to the frame? Thanks

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Why thank you, customdecorator! I can honestly say that I love to be in my kitchen! I found my potrack at a wonderful place near Dallas, Texas called Philbeck's Antiques. I'm sure you can do a search online for them. It came as you see it, and is made with old wood and a piece of wrought iron gate. They had others of different sizes and colors. It is a huge place full of great pieces, mostly made from old windows, doors, and other wood pieces, but also antiques and some decor items. Whenever we have to travel near there, I always have to stop! Hope your decorating goes well!

• lois418
    17 years ago

I just love your niche! I love the diamond border. What are the tiles that you have inside, and how wide is your border? How tall is your niche? Mine won't be nearly as big, but I am trying to get a similar feel. You did a really beautiful job! You are very talented!

• amy_z6_swpa
    17 years ago

Wow this is one of the most stunning, gorgeous kitchens I've ever seen. I LOVE the cabinetry and the island, the decorative touches, curtains, floor, everything.

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Lois-the border tile is 4 inches wide, and the niche total is 25 1/2 inches tall, 19 inches inside. The tiles inside are just tumbled travertine 5 3/4" by about 2 7/8". I got them from HD or Lowe's.
    Thank you, Amy for the compliments...I am blushing...

Here are a few pics of the niche...

• dawnby
    17 years ago

Hi-

I haven't posted pictures of my finished kitchen yet but i just want to let you know that i painted it Blonde after seeing yours and couldn't be happier! thanks for the inspiration. Your kitchen is beautiful

• paddytc
    17 years ago

frenchkitty I love your kithen. I also love your kitchen table and chairs. Did you get them recently if so could you please let me know where? Or did you paint and stain it yourself. Love it. Paddytc

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is just beautiful! You did such a fabulous job putting everything together. I hope you don't mind my asking but where did you find your chandelier over the table? I've been looking all over for something like that one. It's so pretty.

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, thank you for your compliments!!

Paddy, My table and chairs are both old. The table is actually an old school table, and the paint effects are authentic. The french country chairs are old ones off of ebay.

sippimom, my chandy is from, ahem, Home Depot! I bought the cover-yourself shades and used my curtain fabric and matching trim and finished them myself.

Frenchkitty

• jesemy
    16 years ago

Hi Frenchkitty,
    I have been looking for some chandelier shades that I can cover--where did you get yours?

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi jesemy! I found the shades at Hobby Lobby, but I have also seen them at Hancock Fabric. They are very easy to use, and the instructions are right on the label.

• caminnc
    16 years ago

frenchkitty, I am in the getting ready to paint/glaze my kitchen cabinets and would love to know the brand of glaze you used. Did you use latex primer or oil base? Same with SW paint, was it semi-gloss latex or oil? Was the Minwax waterbase or oil? Please, please share details! Your kitchen is so beautiful. Great job! Thanks for any help you can give me.

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    16 years ago

caminnc,
    Let me see, I used latex primer, SW satin latex paint, and the glaze was also SW, mixed with SW Color Accents latex satin in Brevity Brown, (three parts glaze to one part paint). I actually used Minwax polyurethane, but I would suggest using Minwax water based sealer as I did on my cabinets in the living room. (Polyurethane has an amber tint which worked out in my case in the kitchen, but the polycrylic or water based is crystal clear.) I used three coats. Oh, and I went to Wmart and bought a whole box of cheesecloth to apply the glaze with. You will use alot! Hope this helps.

• caminnc
    16 years ago

Thank you so very much. I will let you know how it goes.

• lois418
    16 years ago

Frenchkitty, I just wanted to thank you for your inspiring kitchen - especially your niche which I attempted to duplicate. I absolutely love it! Thank you for the idea! I put the link to my finished kitchen below if you care to take a peek!
    Lois

Here is a link that might be useful: Lois418's Finished kitchen

• catsam00
    16 years ago

I really love your kitchen. I also love the paneled look on the refrigerator. You mentioned it was a Kitchenaid. Do you have a model #? I have seen the Amana panel ready fridge and am wondering if it is the same.

• frenchkitty
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Catsam! Sorry I didn't notice I was asked a question; it has been so long since I looked on this forum. The model # to my fridge is KBRP20EMSS. I think that the Amana is almost the same from what I recall. Hope this helps!

Frenchkitty

• llll2008
    16 years ago

Did your cabinet maker make the refrigerator panels? They look great. Is he local in MS?

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Frenchkitty,
    Just wanted to say your kitchen looks fabulous, and is an inspiration to us all. Very nice. I love everything you've done!

• llll2008
    15 years ago

I am copying your painting technique EXACTLY. It is turning out great. One question: Do you recommend gloss, semi-gloss or satin Minwax Polycrylic? I think (from photos) that your cabinets look like you used gloss. Thanks soooo much!