Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stumped on Backsplash, Window Covering and Kitchen Table

Posted by chiommy (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 15:26

Hi All:
I've been reading this forum for sometime now and have always been amazed at the depth of knowledge and insight exhibited by members. I need some ideas and hope you can help me. We purchased a home with a small 1970s style galley kitchen and had to redo it from scratch on a limited budget, which meant no knocking down walls. We changed the floors from linoleum to tile (don't remember the what the color is called), installed new ginger maple 42" cabinets, dakota mahogany countertops, recess lighting and SS appliances. Now to my problem, looking at the pictures:
1. I need suggestions on a backsplash? (pictures/links will be appreciated as I'm not good at colors. I have to see it to know it and visualize it.)

2. I'm tired of tiers/valance for window covering and would like other suggestions?

3. My kitchen table- Should I get rid of it completely? or cover the top with granite? or get a cabinet/island with seating area and cover it with granite?

4. Do you think I need undercabinet lighting?

TIA. I hope you can view the pictures.

P.S. I initially posted in the discussions forum but I think this might be a better forum to post.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen in progress

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stumped on Backsplash, Window Covering and Kitchen Table

Anybody out there. Suggestions please???? TIA

o

Bump

o

I would probably post this on the discussion side of GW. It seems that side gets a little more activity.

o

Chiommy,

I hope you have answers to your questions by now. I remodeled a mobile home kitchen a few years back and used laminate flooring that looks like tile as my backsplash. Choose some of the wide format and be sure any seams are either sealed with waterproof caulk or away from constantly wetted areas. The surface of the tile is very durable but the edges will swell and disentegrate if they are often wetted.

o

Thanks Johnorange. Can you post a picture of the laminate flooring you talked about? Any other options outside of this? TIA.

o

Oops, so sorry to just now find your request. Here are a couple of photos of the laminate flooring used as a backsplash. Someone asked if this could be a fire hazard. I guess it could but I think it's similar in composition to formica on countertops.
In Progress:
Bare walls

Finished:
After remodel

o

Thanks for all the earlier replies. I'm bumping my post to see if I can get more ideas. I still haven't made a backsplash decision and need to do so soon. Pictures will help as I'm somewhat colorblind and usually need to see to visualize it. Help from photo shoppers will also be appreciated> Thanks in advance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here