Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arin_gw

My vintage kitchen photos

arin
17 years ago

My kitchen was finished just over a year ago, but all the details were not wrapped up before my daughter was born - and my hands have been full since then. Recent kitchen drama has brought me back to the board and I figured it was time to share some snaps.

best

arin

vintage wedgewood stove

vintage sink

vintage island and recycled upper cabs from original kitchen

diamond cabinets

rejuvination lighting

marmoleum flooring

{{gwi:1560476}}
{{gwi:1560478}}
{{gwi:1560480}}
{{gwi:1560482}}

{{gwi:1560484}}

{{gwi:1560487}}
{{gwi:1560489}}
{{gwi:1560491}}

Comments (17)

• susan209
    17 years ago

The kitchen is just stunning, love the old and the new....how clever of you. Enjoy it!!!

• skw1009
    17 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful..I just love your sink and stove... the unique island is so perfect for your room...love the counter tops and the unusual backsplash... we have recently purchased a 1920 storybook cottage and are in the process of planning a kitchen redo.....hope mine turns out as well as yours....

• lonic
    17 years ago

Love your kitchen. So nice to see something with some personality and individuality! Great Job!!

• sheshe
    17 years ago

I think its great! You maintained the original charm but made it very funtional. That is a hard thing to do. You are lucky
    to have the original cabinets in usable condition. Love your stove and your sink! This is what I had hoped to do also.
    But not much could be salvaged in my old house.
    It's charming!
    sheshe

• stovegirl
    17 years ago

Love it!!! So much character and charm!

• patricianat
    17 years ago

Put this one in my favorite five kitchens. I love the way you have integrated the past with today and tomorrow and always. It will always be "vintage."

• evan_nj
    17 years ago

Fantastic look! What are the little brick shaped tiles on the backsplash? How big is each tile?

• arin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

wow, thanks everyone - its nice to get such warm feedback.
    the backsplash tiles are 1"x2". I had to look around a bit for this size which was only available in a couple of stock colors. I ordered them from a local shop, but I remember Anne Sacks had some in that size.

• starpooh
    17 years ago

hi arin!
    I love your kitchen.. very original! I especially love how you've combined the tile and beadboard in your backsplash.

May I please archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so would you please fill out the Category Checklist to help me categorize it?
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• MariposaTraicionera
    17 years ago

One of the most original kitchens I've seen. Reminds me so much of a European kitchen, and the way they mix old with new.

• acoreana
    17 years ago

I have a new favorite! I love your kitchen. It reminds me of my great grandma's back on the islands. *sniffle* What a fantastic job.

Nat

• bungalowbees
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for posting your kitchen! Wonderful, no-nonsense room. This kitchen simply will not get tired in a few years -- it just flows from the kitchen it's always been. It also looks ready to evolve again should you ever want to change some little thing. One of those kitchens that makes me want to "come home."

What is your countertop material? It looks modern & fabulously hygenic, but blends right in. So simple.

Is there a story with the little recessed space above the sink and to the right? And what is the metal dangly thing to the left?

If you have a chance, I'd love to see photos that include your lighting. Wild guess here -- no cans???!!!

If you're standing with that great stove to your left, what do you see? Is that a window or cabinet or what peeking out in one photo?

Your wall shelf facing the island is remniscent of originals in our bungalow.

What year is your home?

Do you have blues as well as greens? This is how my computer is reading the working side of your island, as well as the chair seats. Love blues & greens together (why I believe that's what's going on in my kitchen!).

I love that window near your table, the whole corner just takes me back to both of my grandmothers' kitchens. Great tablecloths, too.

Such a gentle, warm, pracical kitchen. Kudos!!!!!

arin, thank you for such a lovely Sunday morning treat with my coffee. I feel like I took a little trip this morning!

[I finally have a camera so must figure out how to post my own "vintage" kitchen -- esp since my "baby" is in her teens! (& can now help with the technology!)]

• totogirl
    17 years ago

Your lovely kitchen shows simplicity, style, warmth and charm. SO refreshing to see something that is so unique and different. Love your stove!!!! They just don't make them like that anymore. Thanks for sharing!

• mmoo1978
    17 years ago

Beautiful! This is such a peaceful and tranquil kitchen. Thanks for sharing the pics!

• arin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, I filled out the form for the finished kitchens blog - post me!

Anthomein - my counters are ceasarstone, they're supposed to be low maintenance (so far so good)

above the sink is a sad story about my contractor trying to find a solution to our need for an air gap for the dishwasher - it was a disaster (leaky water pouring down the wall and trashing the sheetrock and moulding) everyone who sees that laughs

the hanging metal thing above the sink is our pot scrubing brush (wow you have a good eye!)

the lighting are vintage schoolhouse lighting from rejuvination, I'll see if I can find a shot of them somewhere

if you stand with the stove to the left - you see our semi-pantry, upper cabs above the sink and dishwasher, more salvaged upper cabs to the right above washer and dryer, wood counter for folding laundry and small nothingish window with view of interior of our house. this was the real breakthrough with the kitchen, to stash the laundry area so that we has lots of open space for eating and dining (more functtion than fashion)

the house is a San Francisco 1907 Edwardian

thanks everyone!

• julieoppenheimer
    17 years ago

What an inspirational kitchen! Gorgeous. Wonderful colors and ideas. Love the stove and sink and how well they go with the new countertops and cabinets. It's amazing you found a vintage island that coordinates so beautifully with the rest of the design. And how lovely to have light coming in from windows on three sides. Great job! This must be such a joy to cook in every day.

• kathile
    15 years ago

I would love to know the color of the wall paint, arin. Your kitchen is beautiful!