Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trend Phobia! Marble?? Honed Granite?

Posted by KelinMD (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 13:24

About to embark on a major renovation.
My post concerns the kitchen. It seems I have been subliminally influenced by design trends via HGTV/mass media without even knowing it. Everyone will laugh at how stupid this is going to sound. Last year I drew up my "perfect kitchen" plan and started to explore Houzz, GW, etc for other ideas. I quickly discovered that my white, flat panel, shaker cabinets with (genius!) honed black granite on the perimeter and (brace yourself) carrera marble island were not only not original, they had become downright trite. I almost cried when I opened houzz and the lights I wanted were their cover photo, a sure sign the trend has jumped the shark. One by one, the ideas I thought were my own were revealed to be the next big thing and were on their way to being pass�. (I'll get white quartzite so it wont etch!)
Now I am paralyzed with indecision. Is carrera marble the harvest gold of the millennia? Sure seems like it. I feel like I don't trust my own judgement anymore...do I really like it or just like it because I'm seeing it everywhere? I don't want to put in the exact.same.kitchen. as every single person renovating in 2013. I'm so confused that I really don't even know what I'm asking.
Do you feel this color/materials combo will look dated in a few years? How do you avoid "dated" and "trendy" simultaneously? This renovation is a huge investment of time and money for us and I am really worried about screwing it up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trend Phobia! Marble?? Honed Granite?

If you haven't already, I suggest posting this on the "Discussions" side of Kitchens. This is the "Gallery" side that's more for finished kitchens and the like. The Discussions side of Kitchens is for on-topic discussions concerning kitchen remodels. You will most likely get many more responses over there.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here